PDA

View Full Version : Pam Nam wing chun - Eddie Chong?

gungfuman
05-25-2000, 03:38 PM
Has anyone seen this guy's wing chun? How does he compare to Kenneth Chung or Ben Derr? Good?

Sihing73
05-29-2000, 05:56 AM
Gungfuman,

Sorry not to be able to help you out however I offer this for what it is worth.

I had an occassion to touch hands with a guy who claimed to have been taught by Eddie Chong. I was not that impressed. He seemed to like to do a lot of complicated drills while I prefer to simply things and make the most with the least if you know what I mean. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I could do in one or two moves what he was doing in four or five. But, I can not say this is a good representation of Sifu Chong. The best thing you can do, other than visit in person, is to get some of his videos and or cds and see for yourself. I know he teaches two versions of Wing Chun so again I am not sure what the guy I met represented or even if he represented anything at all.

I have heard many good things about both Kenneth Chung and Ben Derr. I can't say the same for Eddie Chong. I once spoke to a friend of mine who teaches in New York and he praised Kenneth Chung but said some uncomplimentary things about Eddie Chong. But again, this is all second and even third hand info and I would urge you to visit Eddie Chong for yourself or check out his videos and make your own decisions.

I am sorry I can not be of more help. I know this really does nothing for you. But, since no one else responded I thought I would at least make a response.

Peace,

Dave

Meklorien
06-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I am a student of Eddie Chong's through Eric Hoshiko and I can tell you that Eddie Chong's Wing Chun is very, very good. He is a patient, knowledgeable teacher and a good man. And his skills in Wing Chun... well, let's just say that to touch hands with Eddie is very nearly instruction enough. I have never interacted with Kenneth Chung or Ben Der but from what little I have heard, they're Wing Chun is also very good in a similar fashion. If you make a small mistake, it will be exploited.

Over agression and greediness to hit only get you in trouble in Eddie's school. But don't take my word for it. Go to one of his seminars. They are quite enlightening. You will inevitably walk away from it with many improvements on what you already know.

ChangHFY
06-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Gungfuman, Hows everything? Ive had the opportunity to meet Chong laoshi on a few occasions. I can only say good things about his skill. From my personal experience. He was a great guy, really skilled and very knowledgeable.
So I would definately encourage you to visit or buy his dvds. Again im not one of his students so I cant comment on any of the rumors stated above. Im only judging from my personal experience. Also his ideas on how to use Chin Na (Kam Na) in Chi Sau was pretty phenomenal.

take care,
zai jian

reneritchie
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Comparisons are always personal and relative, but Pan Nam's is a unique and rich system, and if you have a chance to try it out, you'll see if you enjoy it or not, and that's probably the most important thing, since we tend to stick most with what we enjoy.

rochester
06-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Just curious if Eddie Chong is the only person teaching Pan Nam Wing Chun in the states? Do his teachings differ from Pan Nam's followers in Foshan?

Meklorien
07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Just curious if Eddie Chong is the only person teaching Pan Nam Wing Chun in the states? Do his teachings differ from Pan Nam's followers in Foshan?

I've never interacted with anyone overseas so I couldn't tell you for sure. But I have DVDs from Pan Nam's group. They differ in quality from what I've learned from the man.

Chronos
07-24-2006, 07:48 PM
It's been a long time since Eddie was a student of Ken Chung, and Pan Nam for that matter. As a student with Ken--what's it been, nearly 20 years ago?, he was excellent.

However, Ken Chung and Ben Der have improved their teaching skills and gathered newer insights since that time, but Eddie got the right engine from them.

If you have a chance to learn directly from Eddie, you should jump at the chance.

Meklorien
07-24-2006, 07:51 PM
It's been a long time since Eddie was a student of Ken Chung, and Pan Nam for that matter. As a student with Ken--what's it been, nearly 20 years ago?, he was excellent.

However, Ken Chung and Ben Der have improved their teaching skills and gathered newer insights since that time, but Eddie got the right engine from them.

If you have a chance to learn directly from Eddie, you should jump at the chance.

Chronos is right on target!

Meklorien
07-24-2006, 08:04 PM

I've been involved in the Foshan Yong Chun in Eddie's school since the early 90's through Eric Hoshiko.

About a year back one of my friends showed me some DVD's he had ordered from China on the Pan Nam Fushan Yong Chun.

I approached the viewing without any preset opinion as to what I'd see. Unfortunately, I regretably found the demonstrations too flowery compared to what I'd learned from Eddie.

It made me realize that Eddie had brought his considerable insight into the mix. His demonstrations express much deeper insight into Wing Chun itself.

Just my opinion.