PDA

View Full Version : OT: Metalhead/Prog Rock Gods be Praised

wdl
04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Megadeth & Dream Theater to tour this summer. Along for the ride are Fear Factory and a few others. This is Dave Mustaine's "Gigantour" brainchild planned to start in July as some point.

-Will

BibitClerus
04-17-2005, 09:19 PM
i like megadeth
the old stuff... havent even listened the 2 last studio albuns cos when i heard just 1 or 2 songs i didnt apreciate...
but i like the ol stuff...
now... it sucks how mustaine is dissing bunch o people all the time to promote himself and the band
its like every week its on the rock/metal news: "mustaine says lars sucks" "mustaine says his old band members suck" "somebody sues mustaine"
just stop it, man...

dream theater totally kick ass too, specially metropolis 2

wdl
04-17-2005, 09:24 PM
dream theater totally kick ass too, specially metropolis 2

I like both, but I'd primarily be going to see Dream Theater. Mustaines mouth has gotten him into trouble in the past. It'll get him into more trouble in the future. The last two albums were heads and tails better than Risk. Risk just sucked so bad I don't think anyone wants to remember it. Some of the stuff on the latest album reminds me of Count Down to Extinction days. :)

Metropolis Part 2 was a freaking awesome album. Have you heard Train of Thought?

-Will

IronFist
04-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Train of Thought sucked. It sounded too much like nu-metal.

But their old stuff is awesome.

Except Metropolis part 2, which I think sounded rushed, or forced. There were a few really good parts, but a lot of the album I thought was just filler, and boring.

I thought Dave Mustaine injured his hand and quit the band. He's back?!

PS. I'm going to this concert.

wdl
04-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I thought Dave Mustaine injured his hand and quit the band. He's back?!

PS. I'm going to this concert.

Yeah, he had a "miracle" recovery, leading some to believe it was a publicity stunt. Although I think he had something wrong, apparently it wasn't as bad as originally diagnosed.

How does Stream of Conscience sound like "Nu-Metal"?

I will agree, I liked the old stuff better. Awake is still my favorite DT album.

-Will

BibitClerus
04-17-2005, 10:23 PM
dude,
yeah i heard Train, but Metropolis is still me favourite
Train does have some low tunning on it that is somewhat influence of nu-metal

what you guys think of Liquid Tension... i think its totally tits

Risk... i thought there were some really good ideas there but the production just makes me wanna throw up its so forcedly pop-fied

BibitClerus
04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
and whats Friedman up to? he was one of my favourite guitar dudes back in the day
his latest solo release i found unimpressive...
thats also what i think of both last Satrianis and Vais release

I dig Omar Rodriguez (ex ATDI and current Teh Mars Volta) solo album, its pretty cool.
But dont go for it if you only like shreding

wdl
04-18-2005, 06:51 AM
thats also what i think of both last Satrianis and Vais release

I thought the LTE stuff was just flat awesome. The best side project Portney and Petrucci have been involved in.

Yeah, Satriani and Vai have both gotten off topic big time. The Crystal Planet and Passion & Warfare days are gone. It's a sad thing. :/

-Will

PangQuan
04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Ill go out there and state how all "old school" metal is better than any new stuff. This goes for just about everyband. I have always been a fan of the metal scene. I just think that the "feel" of the 80's and early 90's had a different vibe than any of the new stuff.

Shaolinlueb
04-18-2005, 11:10 AM
dude that sounds like a nice tour this summer.

FuXnDajenariht
04-18-2005, 12:12 PM
im stoked for the new meshuggah (aka the best progressive thrash/death band on the planet earth and maybe parts of mars) album out next month. thats the only new support tour that i care about right now.

aww man if they come to new york to play im gonna just about **** on myself.

the ultimate tour this summer in my not so unbiased opinion would be those guys, decapitated and bloodbath......and either the haunted, nile, suffocation or napalm death for good measure. just to make sure everyone leaves with an aneurysm :D :D

concussions all around..... :D

IronFist
04-18-2005, 04:20 PM
ToT is like nu-metal cuz every song is like one chord, just like on Metallica's sucky new album.

Gangsterfist
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
IMO, dreamtheater sucks, but at the same time I recognize they have talent. I am of the philosophy you can have all the talent in the world and still write crappy music.

Megadeath, love their old stuff, even have a few older albums on vinyl, probably wouldn't pay asking price to see them live. Unless they guaranteed playing the old stuff I liked.

cam
04-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I think LTE should get back together again, only if they can get Tony Levin on the bass/stick. Bozzio Levin and Stevens also put out some great stuff, Bozzio's got the most tasty drum stuff I've ever heard :)

Chizica
04-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Granted all the pre-90's metal is great, but there are some bands out there that weren't around back in the days of Ride the Lightning and Peace Sells that are trying to break out.

Check out Lamb of God and Shadows Fall. Great bands to listen to when your'e lifting weights, gets you pumped.

Gangsterfist
04-18-2005, 05:45 PM
also check out

Today is the day
Mastidan
Dillinger escape plan
Coalesce

BibitClerus
04-18-2005, 06:01 PM
check this out kids
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/upfiles.aspx/615/8A664419CF954522903A09097454124C.jpg

listening to Ozzy, Randy tribute album one it is

IronFist
04-18-2005, 06:33 PM
IMO, dreamtheater sucks, but at the same time I recognize they have talent. I am of the philosophy you can have all the talent in the world and still write crappy music.

I'm glad you can admit that. Whenever I bring up the "talent" argument, people always assume that I'm trying to say talent = good songs. No! You can be awesome and write songs that people might not like. There is a ton of technically brilliant stuff out there that I don't like to listen to.

And there can be simple stuff that is fun to listen to.

And then there is no-talent sh.it, like that piece of crap song "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet. Ooooh, you used one whole chord in that song. Way to go. The 14 year old girls want you now.

And then there's talented bands that rule (IMO), like Dream Theater, DragonForce, Dimmu Borgir, and Cradle of Filth, altho I could understand why someone might not like the latter two.

Gangsterfist
04-18-2005, 06:39 PM
I saw cradle of filth live twice. They are expensive and their merch is like 25 dollar for a girly tshirt. They also play at venues that charge 4bucks for a freaking beer.

But i still saw them twice. I like their organs and they put on a good show.

There is a punk band called the murder city devils that are no longer together, and they have awesome organ work in their songs. I would suggest checking them out if you can. Their best album is called press gang.

For the dreamtheater thing, yeah those guys can play their instruments, and play them well, but their songs are annoying to me. I listen to lots of music from hip hop, classical, rock, reggae, punk, metal, so on and so forth (could probably make a several page list of genres I like). I have like 200ish vinyl records and god knows how many CDs. I am definately a collector, and I definately buy a lot and listen to alot, so I can respect the fact that someone may not like some of my music, just like I may not like some of theirs.

Ben Gash
04-19-2005, 02:43 AM
Train of Thought sucked? Are you joking? It's worth getting for Dying Soul alone! Nu-Metal? So they downtuned the guitars a lot, but then they always have, it's not like they did a Metallica. Part of what I like about Dream Theater is that each album is very different from the last, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was quite un-heavy, so I thought it was good to have a MUCH heavier one to follow. I also thought it was cool the way they carried the same arpeggio idea throughout the songs but explored it very differently each time. Get the Live at Budokan DVD and it may well change your opinion of the songs (and is fantastic value for nearly 3 hours of songs, AND is probably the best live recording I've seen/heard).
I think Satch's last album was poorly produced, I saw him at G3 and the songs (or whatever) sounded MUCH better. I still don't think it was as good as Strange Beautiful music though, which strangely he doesn't seem to draw from live :(
I got Vai's new album this morning (for my birthday) and it's certainly different, but it is cool in it's own way.

red5angel
04-19-2005, 07:38 AM
holy sh!t, two of the crappiest bands in al the world on tour together! :eek:

"The Monsters of Suck!"

wdl
04-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Get the Live at Budokan DVD and it may well change your opinion of the songs (and is fantastic value for nearly 3 hours of songs, AND is probably the best live recording I've seen/heard).

Yes, it's awesome isn't it. I'm extremely pleased with it. Portney finally had complete creative control over the production and it made all the difference in the world.

You all can whine about Nu-Rock all you want, but when you say "Nu-Rock" I think of Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, POD, etc. and in no way is Dream Theater like them. Yes the tone of Train of Thought changed compared to previous Dream Theater albums. It had more of a "power rock" sound, but no matter how much different one Dream Theater album is from the previous one you can still listen to any track on it and know it's Dream Theater. That's what makes a good band. A band that can change sounds and still remain the same band.

Gangsterfist: Dillinger Escape Plan is on the Giganitour ticket with Megadeth and Dream Theater. So go see Megadeth and DT and you can see DEP. :)

The talented vs simple music discussion is one I agree with as well. I love technical music so as a result Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands. On the flipside, I can listen to simple stuff as well. AC/DC being a prime example of classic simple music that can be repeditive yet very catchy. I can get in moods where I can't get enough AC/DC.

-Will

IronFist
04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Nu-metal has nothing to do with downtuning your guitar.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-20-2005, 12:34 AM
yeah it pretty much just has to do with being a ***get

Ben Gash
04-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Nu-metal is such an umbrella term as to be virtually meaningless. What have Deftones got in common with Staind? It's an even worse term than grunge :rolleyes:
The thing I really hate at the moment is the guitar mags go on about the talent and ability of "new" bands like Avenged Sevenfold, and then you listen to them an they sound like a mediocre Iron Maiden/Megadeth tribute act :mad:
AND nu-metallers claiming that they can solo but choose not to. Have you heard Mick Thompson play lead? He can undeniably sweep pick, but has no idea of how to use it. He sounds like he's aimlessly running a drumstick along a keybord :mad:

Gangsterfist
04-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Gangsterfist: Dillinger Escape Plan is on the Giganitour ticket with Megadeth and Dream Theater. So go see Megadeth and DT and you can see DEP. :)

-Will

I have seen dillinger several times and they come to KC every once in a while and play the punk venues. Which means I can get in for 12 bucks to see them and can go as close to the stage as I want, and don't have to sit through dream threatre. I have seen DEP, I think 3 or 4 times live, and I saw them when they were not even that big. I also did side work once for a band called coalesce and they got me in to a dillinger show free once.

The talented vs simple music discussion is one I agree with as well. I love technical music so as a result Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands. On the flipside, I can listen to simple stuff as well. AC/DC being a prime example of classic simple music that can be repeditive yet very catchy. I can't get in moods where I can get enough AC/DC.

Ramones are in the same bag, along with a lot of rock n roll bands. Animals? House of the rising son is like 3 chords. Almost any kind of catchy pop or rock music is simply made. Of course there are always exceptions, but for the most part thats right.

wdl
04-20-2005, 08:43 AM
House of the rising son is like 3 chords.

AC/DC are the Kings of 3 Chord rock. :D

Ben: Yeah the term Nu-Metal gets old. The terms Grunge and Alternative went to hades a long time ago and Nu-Metal was doomed from the beginning. You mentioned Iron Maiden, was the last album any good? I've got Brave New World and loved that one.

-Will

IronFist
04-20-2005, 03:43 PM
yeah it pretty much just has to do with being a ***get

Oh sh.it that made me laugh so hard at work :D

Kristoffer
04-21-2005, 04:48 AM
I used to be HEAVY into Korn and Deftones. Their first albums are still classics in my eyes. Korn kinda faded away after the fourth album though. After that it was more a mix between all the rock venues for me like the Sepultura, il Niño, Rage Against The Machine,Staind, Homegrown etc etc.
I could always listen to all kinds of styles but I've never liked much death metal or black metal. I think their all posers. It's also funny how these people called everything slightly successfull 'nu metal'. I think the whole rock scene is tiresome. Everyone wanna be so different and it seems like a new genre is created every day. I mean wtf is bounce core? This is one reason I listen less and less to stuff like this.

Ben Gash
04-21-2005, 07:10 AM
WDL, I think I heard the single, and it was pretty straight Maiden (one of life's guilty pleasures, kinda like my best of Dokken album ;) ) but I've not heard the whole album. Apparently it was very well received, and now they're playing with a 3 guitar line up it should be cool.
I also laughed aloud, and I was in the library :o

FuXnDajenariht
04-21-2005, 01:02 PM
thats the same way i feel about hip hop Kris'. i grew up with it here and honestly im growing to dislike it more and more. it hasn't been worth listening to in my opinion since 96 or 7. its all been done before. let alone the lack of advancements in production and the sound of it (drum machine anyone?) all the lyrics make me wanna felch on the tv. they could really learn from the trip hop and drum n bass scene.

anyway to each his own. im done with my tirade about it.

anyone ever hear a band called necrophagist? i been getting into them alot lately. i see some tech metal fans out there. they make all their riffs with 16th and 32nd notes. and its actually freakin coherent. i think they rival cephalic carnage and cryptopsy(who can't pick a vocalist to save their lives) for technicality. bonuses for not having to spin the record a dozen times to understand whats going on. whats even kewler is that the leader of the band played every freakin instrument on the first album by himself ala NIN till he found a backing crew.

are there any doom-ers too?

Gangsterfist
04-21-2005, 01:50 PM
mfdoom?

yeah thats pretty cool

My take on hip hop is the same on country music. New hip hop out in the market now, being played on Mtv and on the radio is not hip hop music. Its pop music. Same thing with new country music, its pop not country. Real country = Cash, hank, patsy, waylan, coe, etc.

There are still good hip hop artists out there, but they are mostly on indy labels.

Check out these guys:

Cage
Atmosphere
Brother Ali
RJD2 (not a rapper, but a DJ, and amazing)
El-P (anything on his label)
Dan the automater
Deltron
Smut Peddlers
Styles of Beyond
Jean Grey (not sure if she is still making albums or not, but she rules)

and thats just a few

wdl
04-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Hip/hop is like listening to Barry Goldwater **** to a Beatles tune.

-Will

Kristoffer
04-23-2005, 02:15 AM
FuXn - I totally know what you mean. I started losing my love for the scene until I discovered ppl like Slug etc. Don't get me wrong I still love metal and all kinds of other styles, it's just harder for me to follow any band like I use to.

BibitClerus
04-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Carcass rules

FuXnDajenariht
04-27-2005, 01:51 PM
that they do... heartwork is an awesome record. no one did thrash like carcass. i even prefer their last records to the grindcore stuff.

and i finally checked out Opeth Xebs. i really dig them now. only took me 2 years. i like the newer stuff like deliverance and blackwater park over the old old stuff.

if you like stoner/doom you gotta check out electric wizard and high on fire. :D

BibitClerus
04-27-2005, 09:23 PM
man i agree. the ones i like the most are Swansong and Heartwork
but there were some pretty good ideas on the old stuff
i love that...

TOOLS OF THE TRADE!!
FORCEPS AND BLADES!!!
SO PLEASED... TO MAIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BibitClerus
04-27-2005, 09:30 PM
what about Pantera
man thats so tits

my new sig is one of em too

Truly, **** the world, for all it's worth, every inch of Planet
Earth, **** myself, don't leave me out,
But don't get involved, don't corner me
Inside, ulcer, unjust *******s, file out face first
Meet the lies and see what you are

It's forcing you down, and it's grinding against you
Let the war nerve break

For every ****ing second the pathetic media ****es on me and
judges what I am in one paragraph - Look here - **** you all

Expect the worse, you bleeding heart, but kill me first
Before it starts, yes my **** is getting hard,
We are born different after all
Invite mayhem, produce weapons, shoot out, burn down
No CNN or media now

FuXnDajenariht
04-27-2005, 10:03 PM
another old band that i absolutely love is Death. if you haven't checked them out by now your missing out.

you gotta check out decapitated Xebs. they own like 90% of bands out now. :D

MOTHAF***ING DECAPITATED \m/

BibitClerus
05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
ill dowload those later :D

what bout Dillinger escape plan? so far i only seen one video and its quite good/awesome
anybody know em, like em?

Fear Factory is a band i know long time but only now got some stuff
I dont really dig most of their stuff but Replica and Ressurection are really great

"Every day I feel anonymous hate
Forever in the shadow of disgrace

I am rape
I am hate
I am rape
I am hate

Filled with pain
A bruised and darkened soul
Spare me from the
Life that’s full of misery
I don’t want to live that way
I don’t want to live that way"

Gangsterfist
05-12-2005, 12:34 PM
dillinger escape plan is awesome. I met them when they came to town, and I got to hang w/ them a bit. I did some side work for a local band called Coalesce who all of you should go check out. They are friends with DE, and I met DE through them.

I think Relapse Records reprinted most of Coalesce's albums, seriously guys go check them out.

Also, check out DE's EP they put out w/ Mike Patton. They cover freaking aphex twin and its totally bada$$

Roc Doc
05-21-2005, 05:43 AM
dream theater rages!!!
~doc

p.s. anybody heard AESMA DAEVA? they are super unique
http://www.symphonicmetalband.com/