PDA

View Full Version : Internal Lawn Care

Chief Fox
04-18-2005, 09:58 AM
So I was out mowing the lawn yesterday and edging the grass along the sidewalk and I realized the motions I was doing were very simular to some of the pushing motions in tai chi.

So instead of assuming the standard lawn maintenance position (leaning forward, arms extended with my head down). I assumed proper tai chi position (back upright and straight, sholders relaxed, arms extended but still slightly bent at the elbows, knee never extending past my toes and pushing off my rooted back foot). I also coordinated my breathing with my motions.

So what does this all mean? Not sure, the lawn still got cut the same way as it did before. Maybe it just means that I'm thinking about proper body postion more and proper breathing too. So that's progress, I think.

Shaolin Shi
05-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Cut a blade of grass and you shake the universe.

-- Ancient proverb

hunglengjon
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Gardening is all round brilliant for practising kung fu.

Like when digging, I realised a movement between gung bo's through horse stance was much better for my back and more effective. The twisting action from the waist gets excellent spade power too.

Are we sad? Maybe this is what evolution looks like... :D

yutyeesam
05-05-2005, 02:23 PM
So I was out mowing the lawn yesterday and edging the grass along the sidewalk and I realized the motions I was doing were very simular to some of the pushing motions in tai chi.

So instead of assuming the standard lawn maintenance position (leaning forward, arms extended with my head down). I assumed proper tai chi position (back upright and straight, sholders relaxed, arms extended but still slightly bent at the elbows, knee never extending past my toes and pushing off my rooted back foot). I also coordinated my breathing with my motions.

So what does this all mean? Not sure, the lawn still got cut the same way as it did before. Maybe it just means that I'm thinking about proper body postion more and proper breathing too. So that's progress, I think.

Esp turning a corner, or having to try to spare plants and flowers while mowing around them!

sk8fool
05-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Driving a manual car is helped out by ma bu. It might just be because I have long legs, alhtough it seems to help my feet be where they're suposed to be. Of course I'm not in full ma bu, I;m just refering to how I square off my feet so they face fowards.