PDA

View Full Version : Habemus Papam

ZIM
04-19-2005, 09:31 AM
White smoke from the Vatican....the new Pope hasn't come out as of yet, though.

ZIM
04-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany is now Pope Benedict XVI

Congrats to the Catholics on the forum.

red5angel
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
thank fukking god. Now maybe I won't have to spend 1/3 of my day listening to pope related chatter. for a religion that states pretty clearly thou shalt not comit idolatry or whatever.......

ZIM
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
thank fukking god. Now maybe I won't have to spend 1/3 of my day listening to pope related chatter. for a religion that states pretty clearly thou shalt not comit idolatry or whatever.......
Just for the next week or so...

Mr Punch
04-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Hitler Youth? Check.

OK so the jury's out on that one, since membership was compulsory, he didn't join the Nazi Party and he did desert from the German Army - after NOT claiming exemption from the armed forces through being in the seminary. Be interesting to see what rank he made in the Hitler Youth. But how's about this... nobody from that era's Germany being able to hold the pontificate of the second (first?) biggest religion in the world? Sounds safer to me!

Cute nickname? Check for 'God's Rottweiler'. Now there's inspiring in an uncertain world of unrest, increasing conservatism and marginalization. Maybe we can discount the rather rabidly confrontational 'Panzer Cardinal' or the tame 'Cardinal No'.

Prefect of Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith? Check. Since 1981. What's that? Well, as in used to be called the Holy Inquisition (think Spanish). Aside from the advocation of torture (a moot point), still describes remarkably similar lines of policy.

H0m0sexuals evil? Check.

Other religions and Christian faiths "deficient or not quite real churches"? Check. That's gonna go down well after JPII softly-softly integrationism... guess we need more support for neocon religious nutjobs - one step closer to Thee!

Anti rock music? Check.

Looks like Kofi's smoking again...

The United Nations and the Holy See share a strong commitment to peace, social justice, human dignity, religious freedom and mutual respect among the world's religions.

But I'd rather have it than whatever Ratzinger's smoking...
(things to withstand) tides of trends and latest novelties ... from Marxism to free market liberalism to even libertarianism, from collectivism to radical individualism, from atheism to a vague religious mysticism ... and so forth.D@mn those free-marketeers and libertarians!

Well, that's the end of that thread! :D

Christopher M
04-20-2005, 02:13 AM
But I'd rather have it than whatever Ratzinger's smoking...

There's an awful lot of misinformation out there, so it's important to investigate these things for yourself if they are of interest to you.

The actual quote reads: "How many winds of doctrine have we known over the last few decades! How many ideological currents! How many schools of thought! The little ship bearing the thoughts of many Christians has frequently been shaken by these waves, thrown from one extreme to the other: from Marxism to liberalism, even to libertarianism; from collectivism to radical individualism; from atheism to a vague religious mysticism; from agnosticism to syncretism, and so on." (1 (http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/vatican/startconclave_mass.htm))

Firstly, he's listing the perspectives that have framed Catholic theology, not listing those things Catholics must oppose. Secondly, his point is not that any of these are prima facie wrong, but rather providing this list in an attempt to observe two things: one, that Catholic theology has followed popular ideological trends rather than establish it's own; and, two, that these trends it has followed are secular, whereas they should be focused on Christian faith instead. If you read the rest of his speech following these remarks, this should be evident.

Ben Gash
04-20-2005, 02:47 AM
"The cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics" Blackadder II ;)

Mr Punch
04-20-2005, 03:10 AM
There's an awful lot of misinformation out there, so it's important to investigate these things for yourself if they are of interest to you.
Yes there is, and that quote I got from an early leader in the Guardian, prefaced by the words that those were things to withstand. That article has since vanished from their site so I can only assume it was not so good.

I was, and am, fully intending to follow this guy's words carefully, so thank you for copying that quote.

I am not anti-Catholic, but I am fairly anti-Semetic (in the sense of being anti-Christian, - Islam, - Judaism), through a healthy mix of history, fact and cynicism (jaundice?! :D )

I am still mostly reserving judgment on Ratzinger, but the signs do not look great to me.

LOL at Ban Gash's choice of gags... I love Blackadder!

red5angel
04-20-2005, 06:52 AM
I am not anti-Catholic, but I am fairly anti-Semetic (in the sense of being anti-Christian, - Islam, - Judaism), through a healthy mix of history, fact and cynicism

:eek:

well atleast your honest,

Nick Forrer
04-20-2005, 09:35 AM
I love Blackadder!

Your steak in sauce bernaise tastes like dog turds in glue.........

Nick Forrer
04-20-2005, 09:38 AM
So with an aids epidemic currently raging in Africa is the official catholic doctrine still anti the use of condoms as a profelactic(sp?)

Still against abortion?

Still anti ****sexual?

Vash
04-20-2005, 10:06 AM
. . . ****.

My grandmother's catholic, rest of my family is Methodist (catholic-lite).

I'm just plain Protestant, with Baptist attitude.

Yay! Hitler's Youth pwns teh Vatican Dos. Sounds good.

BibitClerus
04-20-2005, 10:37 AM
So with an aids epidemic currently raging in Africa is the official catholic doctrine still anti the use of condoms as a profelactic(sp?)

Still against abortion?

Still anti ****sexual?

yes

yes

yes

dont forget embrionic cell research too man

ZIM
04-20-2005, 11:06 AM
yes

yes

yes

dont forget embrionic cell research too man
OMG. The Pope IS Catholic! :eek:

I think I'll join the Church just so I can leave in indignant protest!

BibitClerus
04-20-2005, 11:12 AM
thats incredible isnt it :D

BibitClerus
04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
i heard that technically it is possible for them cardinals to pick not necessarily some of them to be pope... that technically they could pick any catholic they want... as once happened some long time ago

so i was all excited and in holding high expectations
it could be ME afterall!!! :)
course i could, i am baptised, my mom can prove it.

GLW
04-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey now, you can't go stealing another church's nickname..

Methodist is NOT Catholic-lite.... The Episcopal Church is.... Methodist is Episcopal-Lite.... Sort of like Diet Coke with Saccharin and then going to Diet Diet Coke with Aspartame....

Christopher M
04-20-2005, 01:03 PM
I am fairly anti-Semetic (in the sense of being anti-Christian, - Islam, - Judaism)

Well I think Christianity is more Hellenic than Semetic, properly understood.

Vash
04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey now, you can't go stealing another church's nickname..

Methodist is NOT Catholic-lite.... The Episcopal Church is.... Methodist is Episcopal-Lite.... Sort of like Diet Coke with Saccharin and then going to Diet Diet Coke with Aspartame....

It's all latin and gibberish to me.

:D

BeiTangLang
04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
What wrong with the concept of just believing in your god & leave the names & hatred out of it? I call it "Mindyourown****ingbusinessism" Come to think of it, you don't even have to believe in god.