PDA

View Full Version : chi development methods in wing chun?

Raatra
07-25-2000, 05:12 AM
can anyone give me some information about any aspects of chi development found in wing chun?

mantis108
07-25-2000, 06:29 AM
Although I am not a Wing Chun practitioner, I have some friends who practice the style. The "Sarm Bye Fut" (opennig segment) in the Sui Lim Tau form is said to be Chi development oriented that is why it is more beneficial to perform them slowly. Also, the final segment of the "Bil Ji" form the deep bowing is IMHO a Chi Kung exercise also; however, no "official" acknowledgement from the Wing Chun community is noted. I am not surprised by the old saying "Bil Ji But Chu Mun" that Bil Ji contains certain "secrets" and is not supposed to be performed in public. May be one of the secrets is its Chi Kung aspect?

Peace to all

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Pien San Kune
07-21-2002, 01:39 PM
yes, it is true, there are a couple of segments in the forms for chi development. however, chi kung means breathing exercise, which means, the complete form can be practised as chi kung exercise with the correct breathing. now, what is the correct breathing? there are different teachings. I for myself found out, that I could increase my chi power with the hard chi kung, which means I exhale while extending my arm and inhale while bringing the hands back to their initial position. It is impossible to teach chi kung in a forum though!!

hope that helps just a little bit.

ben

anerlich
07-21-2002, 03:19 PM
IMO Wing Chun contains no Qigong per se. The first part of SLT arguably does allow for training of the breath, but IMO that is not its primary purpose. Correct breathing while striking or absorbing blows is vital, but that IMO is not Qigong.

IMO WC lineages that offer Qigong have borrowed it from elsewhere. Mine offers some Qigong drills, but these are separate from the forms (SLT, CK, BJ). And IMO these are not the most sophisticated of Qigong drills by any stretch.

Why does WC have to offer health cultivation aspects as well as defense capability anyway? Is it "incomplete" otherwise? Does it have to be all things to all people?

byond
07-21-2002, 04:19 PM
hi,
from my understanding, historicaly wong wah bo did not pass, any teachings about "chi", in the wing chun that he taught to leung jan and fok bo chun. i believe that is why sum nung imported the kidney invigorating chi kung. as well as pan nam imported a chi kung set. koolo village pin san, to my knowledge does not have teachings on chi either
i agree that chi is developed in siu nim tao as well as your yi and nim but it isnt a direct focus , traditionally.
b

S.Teebas
07-21-2002, 06:02 PM
If you think it's there, its there. If you dont belive in it then it doesnt exist.

SLT.

Even if what we do isnt as advanced as some styles that have qi-gong, i think this is becasue WC is designed to be simple.

Pien San Kune
07-21-2002, 06:02 PM
hey guys,
can anybody please tell me, what the abbreviation IMO and IMHO stands for??

thanx a lot...

S.Teebas
07-21-2002, 06:04 PM
in my humble opinion.... let u work out the other one.

Sam
07-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen does contain a Hei-Gung set which includes the kidney invigorating set. This Hei-Gung was taught to the women out of Canton along with a push hands exercise. Each of the individual forms also include Chi-Gung movements.

reneritchie
07-22-2002, 02:06 PM
I think if you understand Qigong, almost anything can be beneficial to you, if you don't understand Qigong, you will only get incidental benefits. So, IMHO, its not about whether WCK contains Qigong or not, whether WCK's alignment is ideal for Qigong or problematic for Qigong, but how the sifu is teaching and how the student is learning.

RR