PDA

View Full Version : wing chun curve punch

WingChun_4_Life
04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
http://www.wccoach.com/garylam/videos/SifuGaryLamdemo8_medium.mov

They video clip above is a student of Wong Shun Leungs. In the clip he talks about the wing chun curve punch. I am just wondering what your thinking on this punch is. Do you share the same beliefs as in the video. That the straight punch is just the basic punch.

Paul

cobra
04-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Sometimes you can't throw a straight punch because of limbs or shoulders in the way. Round punches then are necessary in some cases to hit the target. Lifting punch(uppercut) is the same. Sometimes it may not be the best solution because it leaves you open.

As far as punches curving,

1. this will happen as you track on a moving target
2. turn your body simultaneously with a straight punch thus creating the illusion of a curve even though the punch was straight
3. if your punch is deflected momentarily (not enough to come to a beatiful form tansao position), then freed and go forward with the punch, the overall movement will be curved, but will be hard to see if you are soft enough to allow such things at full speed.

All-in-all I would have to say Yes, I agree with him.

Go ahead guys(and girls), cut me to shreds!

ghost5
04-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Sounds like a good explaination of what can happen in a fight instead of class. Not everyone is going to let you throw your favorite straight blast at them in a fight. So getting students to see how things work in the real world outside of the class is one of the things we stress.

I like the way he explains the reason for practicing wrist movements and positioning of the hands for a punch.

Gangsterfist
04-20-2005, 08:15 AM
the vertical/straight/chain punch (whatever you wana call it) is actually an arch anwyays and not really technically a straight line.

Ernie
04-20-2005, 11:07 AM
http://www.wccoach.com/garylam/videos/SifuGaryLamdemo8_medium.mov

They video clip above is a student of Wong Shun Leungs. In the clip he talks about the wing chun curve punch. I am just wondering what your thinking on this punch is. Do you share the same beliefs as in the video. That the straight punch is just the basic punch.

Paul

Cool . glad to see you guys are checking out the video's and sharing your views :)

The clip in question is Sifu Gary Lam , during a DVD shoot , the answers given by cobra and others is pretty much dead on ,
at our school and most WSL guys the chain punch is thought of as a low skill tool

to be honest we don't eve use it !

setting up a clean line for a power shot is the preferred method

Hendrik
04-20-2005, 09:08 PM
IMHHO,

There are even more precious information sifu Lam had revealed in the clip.
Sifu Lam's natural response shown his great skill of the precious WCK information. just need to give the credit where the credit belongs to.

A punch is a punch for the masters because it is just a punch, the way it is the way it needs to be.
but it is much more then a punch for us who are the beginner. It involves opening/closing sealing off, angling, foot step.. lots of stuffs.

just some thoughts.

Mr Punch
04-21-2005, 12:11 AM
...the chain punch is thought of as a low skill tool

to be honest we don't eve use it !

setting up a clean line for a power shot is the preferred methodTrue dat, and not just WSL line either it seems.

Lifting punch(uppercut) is the same. Sometimes it may not be the best solution because it leaves you open.

Do you mean sometimes the uppercut leaves you open so it may not be the best option (sometimes)? Or do you mean the uppercut always leaves you open so sometimes it may not be the best idea? If it's the second, why do you think the uppercut always leaves you open?

Haven't seen the vid clip yet, but I often use curved punches, not only for gettign around (in fact, I'm more likely to use a lap, jum, huen etc to set up the clear shot than use a curved punch) but also for opening up.

cobra
04-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Do you mean sometimes the uppercut leaves you open so it may not be the best option (sometimes)? Or do you mean the uppercut always leaves you open so sometimes it may not be the best idea? If it's the second, why do you think the uppercut always leaves you open?

I should have worded it "if it leaves you open". Of course it doesn't always leave you open.

As far as avoiding using round punches, sometimes things don't work out the way you like and you have what you have. But you have to train it so it happens without thought, or hesitation. Usually the two travel together.

Mr Punch
04-21-2005, 03:05 AM
I should have worded it "if it leaves you open". Of course it doesn't always leave you open. OK, I gotcha, thanks.

As far as avoiding using round punches, sometimes things don't work out the way you like and you have what you have. But you have to train it so it happens without thought, or hesitation. Usually the two travel together.Yep.

Nick Forrer
04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
The wing chun punch should always try and follow the chord of the circle. Not the radius or the circumference. My teacher explains this in relation to kicking Here (http://www.takeforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70&mforum=wongshunleung) Although the thinking behind the kick is the same as a punch.

This is especially true when hitting with the hand that is already out i.e. going from one point to another in a straight line without first retracting the hand. This concept is demonstrated at the end of the second section of SLT. The application is shown in CK with the 'backfist' and 'uppercut' and in BJ with the 'Hook'. I have put these in inverted commas to emphasise that they are not what their common nomenclature suggests but are in fact just the basic punch combined with the concept described above.

Gangsterfist
04-21-2005, 08:58 AM
IMHHO,

There are even more precious information sifu Lam had revealed in the clip.
Sifu Lam's natural response shown his great skill of the precious WCK information. just need to give the credit where the credit belongs to.

A punch is a punch for the masters because it is just a punch, the way it is the way it needs to be.
but it is much more then a punch for us who are the beginner. It involves opening/closing sealing off, angling, foot step.. lots of stuffs.

just some thoughts.

Great post!

I agree that sometimes we over dwell in how the punch should be executed, and write a 50 page discertation on it, but we still don't realize, a punch is a punch.

There is a bruce lee quote, and I may botch this up, but it goes something like this.

When I started training martial arts a punch was a punch and a kick was a kick. During my training I found out there is more to it, and more behind it. In the end I realized its still just punching and kicking.

Keep the little idea, don't over dwell on the punch.

Hendrik
04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Great post!

I agree that sometimes we over dwell in how the punch should be executed, and write a 50 page discertation on it, but we still don't realize, a punch is a punch.

There is a bruce lee quote, and I may botch this up, but it goes something like this.

When I started training martial arts a punch was a punch and a kick was a kick. During my training I found out there is more to it, and more behind it. In the end I realized its still just punching and kicking.

Keep the little idea, don't over dwell on the punch.

You know, Just dont get into the Obsession :D
and then turn into Fatal Attraction. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093010/

then one lost all of one's AWARENESS.

Keep the little idea, don't over dwell on the punch. ------------

wrong sentence. See, you can have lots of little ideas and that is still a lots of Thoughts. :D

Got to know how the NIem, Yee, shen.... works

create less thoughts, have a clear mind reside within AWARENESS, dont over dwell on the punch.

create less thoughts is about expanding AWARENESS, try it and see if that works.

Keep is a bad word too. that mean force the mind. and forcing mind to not thinking or thinking small or little create DULL mind with No Awareness. hehehehe