PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Staff Form - CLF

yutyeesam
04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
What is your favorite staff form to teach beginners?

What is your favorite staff form to practice? (if you had to pick one)

I like the LKH lineage staff forms, save for one move - that one handed twirly thing (as done in our Mui Fah Bin Gwai Gwon). It was never explained to me why we do that move, it seems like there is no real application to it, other than for show. Try that move in combat, and I'm sure the staff would get knocked right out of your hand!

CLFNole
04-20-2005, 08:34 AM
The best one to teach beginners is Bien Gwai Kwun becuase its quite basic. Sil Lum Kwun is also a good form for beginners but it is a Jing Mo form that was incorporated in.

As far as practice goes I practice all of our forms regularly but I would have to say Dai Hung Kay Dan Tow Kwun and Sheung Garp Dan Tow Kwun are my favorites.

Peace.

Galadriel
04-20-2005, 09:46 AM
that one handed twirly thing is the best party of the form ;-) well, maybe not best part, but I like it!!

I only know two staff forms, so the one with the one handed twirl is my favorite ( I presume its the Mui Fah Bin Gwai Gwon, but I'm terrible with remembering names of forms...) and I would practise it quite regularity...

Ger

CLFNole
04-20-2005, 10:49 AM
The one-hand twirl move does have an application although it is slightly different from the entire move as done in the form. The move in the form is a bit over-exagerated just like in Moi Fah Sup Sam Cheung when you smack the spear on the ground, the actual technique is a bit different and kind of hard to put into words and easier to show in person.

The move in Bien Gwai Kwun is similar to a move in Hung Jeh Pang with the Hung Jeh Pang having a more realistic use of the move.

Peace.

hungsingclf
04-20-2005, 11:04 AM
hey clfnole, how ya been man? i like the soy poon gwun myself. also the cern tau bien gwai gwun.

CLFNole
04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
HungSingCLF:

Been okay, I see you been expanding. Good for you.

I think all the bien gwai gwun forms are generally sheurng tow forms (2-headed staff) and are probably similar with various differents names: sheurng tow bien gwai gwun, loong hung bien gwai kuwn or moi fah bien gwai kwun.

Personally I prefer a long dan tow kwun to the short sheurng tow gwun as I prefer the single head techniques. I am also really into spear so there are some similarities.

Peace.

hungsingclf
04-20-2005, 12:54 PM
yeah, been working on our lion dance quiet alot. my sifu is in futsan now doing some training. he'll be back in a week i think. he's lucky he gets to stay for a month at a time.been crazy here, my wife just delivered our son a month ago so having that getting adjusted phase. how's your training going?glad to see lee koon hung's school is strong and thriving.tho i only met him a few times, i can't say what a nice and generous man he was. the world is a lesser place with him not here. if your ever up this way stop by.

CLFNole
04-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Congrats on the new baby!!!

Glad to see you guys are working on your lion dancing. Li Siu Hung's lion dance team has really come along way in the past few years. They are into the poles now and doing some real crazy things on them. I learned the "old" traditional lion dancing probably similar to what you are doing from looking at the pictures on your website. This new stuff is quite amazing and a bit more exciting to watch but I am too old for it. Better for the teenagers that weigh about 100 lbs. :D

My training is going good. I help out one of my sihing's 2x per week at his school and do my own training with Sifu Li Siu Hung on a few other days.

Right now I am more focused on my own kung fu. Before I would teach a lot but over the years I have become less and less interested in teaching. Probably due to the fact that they don't seem to make students like they used to. No disrespect to anyone but on a whole your lucky if 5% of your students are real serious and train hard. When I started with Sifu Lee Koon Hung in 1993, students were more dedicated when I look now for many its more of a social thing or just for exercise, which is okay everyone has there thing but for me I want to see the art passed on to people who have to potential to keep it going. With the way things are going more and more will be lost as time goes on. I think with each generation with the way society is today you can only do so much. I think my sihings that followed Lee Koon Hung in the 1970s trained differently from how me and my sihing/dai trained and those in the 1980s probably slightly different than the 70s and 90s.

Well didn't mean to veer of topic too much. But yeah if I ever get up your way I will definately stop by.

Peace.

hungsingclf
04-20-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks. that's #2, so shop is closed :D yeah we do the old style,but are tinkering with the poles as well, slightly modified than the maylasian version, luckily my main tail player is 250 and strong as a ox and my head player is 170 with good ups so they go well together. man, we did a blessing of a business from these folks from hk and it took 45 min. with no switch in head, tail, drum or buddha with the lye cee about 25ft up on the roof, guys climbed a ladder in the rain to get it. they were so tired at the end. my sifu will be out in july for a seminar and show so we gotta work even harder.i also favor the spear as well, along with the butterfly swords. take care.

gwa sow
04-20-2005, 04:03 PM
clfnole- your right about students now. i have a few friends that are teachers and they tell me some of the things students say to the teachers in class. young people have no respect these days. there are a few students that go to the ft. lauderdale school that drive me nuts. but whatever, i'm there to train so i do my best to ignore them. a student that doesn't care or isn't in to really training hard can ruin a whole class.

Fu-Pow
04-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm with CLFNole. I like the Daai Hung Kei Guan form the best. I like how you can rocket the heavy end of the staff around using momentum. It just feels more powerful than forms with the seung tau guan. After that I'd probably say Bin Guai Guan and then Loong Hang Guan. I'd like to learn the Double and Single End Staff form but I don't think Sifu teaches that one anymore and besides I've already got 26 forms to practice. :eek:

bigdoing
04-20-2005, 05:32 PM
I only know two staff forms:
Serng Gup Dahn Gwun & a two person fighting set that is only 18 moves long.

I know a spear form, Jor Yau Sup Sam Cheung, some cool motions like diu yiu my teacher calls it fishing pole or da fesh po, I like that motion.

Shaolin Dude
04-20-2005, 10:33 PM
The one-hand twirl move does have an application although it is slightly different from the entire move as done in the form. The move in the form is a bit over-exagerated just like in Moi Fah Sup Sam Cheung when you smack the spear on the ground, the actual technique is a bit different and kind of hard to put into words and easier to show in person.

The move in Bien Gwai Kwun is similar to a move in Hung Jeh Pang with the Hung Jeh Pang having a more realistic use of the move.

Peace.

hung jeh pang-monkey staff. how does it start out?

CLFNole
04-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Although hung jeh pang can be translated as monkey staff as it is in hung gar, our version translates to monk staff or monks pilgramage staff.

Starts out with the staff on the left shoulder, right hand opens back then you skip step into a cat stance with the right hand pushed out. The left knee then raises with the staff blocking in a lau soy position.