PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know of any good Wing Chun Sifu, nonYipMan heritage?

curious
08-01-2000, 08:34 PM
Where are there schools? Do they have any videos that I can buy? Where can I buy the videos?

Taijimantis
08-03-2000, 04:11 AM
My friend, You get around! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering tho, why you seemed so interested on so many aspects of Kung Fu? It has been my expirience that you should get some focus, some goal on which you should center yourself.

I dont reccomend you try to learn anything from a tape you dont already know.

What style do you practice and where?

Namaste. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

flavour54
08-03-2000, 07:40 AM
I told you in a thread you already made curious. Garrett Gee in San Fransisco. I hear he also has videos.

curious
08-03-2000, 08:35 PM
Flavour54, I just posted this on this forum because I was wondering maybe somebody would know of some other masters on this forum than were mentioned on the other forum. Taiji Mantis, I currently do not study at a school right now, but I do have some experience in Tan Tui Springing Leg and Northern Shaolin Long Fist. I am interested in so many styles because I feel that being well-rounded would enable one to defend him or herself better.

Sihing73
08-03-2000, 08:44 PM
I suppose you could also check out Eddie Chong who also does Pan Nim or you could look into Robert Chu who does Gualo. Both are located in California. However, both have also studied Yip Man lineage as well. Eddie also does Bak Mei if I am not incorrect. As to Garret Gee having videos I am not sure about that but would love more info. I know that the next Friendship seminar is scheduled for LA(?) and that owuld give you a great chance to meet some various lineages and see some good Wing Chun. Sorry, I do not have the dates yet but would be glad to post once I get them.

Peace,

Dave

curious
08-03-2000, 09:04 PM
Where can I buy the videos?

Sam
08-04-2000, 02:04 AM
Try www.buddhapalm.com (http://www.buddhapalm.com) Fut Sao Gu Yee Chuan Budda Hand Wing Chun Sifu James Cama

bong
08-04-2000, 04:09 AM
If its videos you want, you could get all the secrets of Sothern Praying Mantis by calling 1-800-LOOKLUM.

Now if you are looking for useful kungfu....

"Videos don't hit back!" -Bong

totallyfrozen
08-06-2000, 03:00 AM
Curios,
I appreciate your curiosity. It appeared that someone suggested (in other words) that you should "pick something and stick with it." Well, there is a reason that it is called martial ART and not martial SCIENCE. An art is self-expression. Some people are painters and some people are singers..yet they are both artists.
I think that Bruce Lee would have commended your curiousity. He too believed in studying many martial arts styles (including wrestling and American boxing) to get well rounded.
Some people are better suited to wrestling..both physically and mentally..and some people are better suited to Kung Fu. I don't think that someone can "pick one" if they haven't shopped around and found something that fits them. After all, if you are going to be expressing yourself in your combat (the martial ART of it) then you need to be doing it in something that naturally "clicks" with you, right?
Although Bruce Lee mastered Wing Chun (from Yip Man), afterward, he studied many other styles of combat. Bruce Lee was not a recognized "master" and was not an endorsed teacher of Wing Chun...alot of Wing Chuners will point this out almost in a attempt to discredit the authenticity or accomplishments of Bruce Lee. Even so, I doubt there are many, if any, Wing Chun artists today who have attained the level of speed, power, and accuracy that he had.
I say, go ahead with your research. More power to you!
I would recommend the book "The Tao Of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee if you have not already read it.

Sihing73
08-06-2000, 12:45 PM
Totallyfrozen,

Since you use Bruce Lee as an example lets put thing sinto perspective:

Lee did not advocate just learning a hodgepodge of styles and trying to incorporate them into his own system. Lee first got a firm foundation in one system, in his case Wing Chun, and built from there. You need something to build on. First you have to lay the groundwork for whatever diversity you wish to pursue later. So in this light it makes sense to chose one art and then learn it well. After you have achieved a strong understanding of that one art then you can start looking into other arts. Still, when you start to incorporate those other arts, if you choose to do so, you should learn to apply them from you oringal arts perspective. In other words make them an extension of the orignal not a seperate thing. I have faced guys trained in more than one art and have actually been able to detect them shifting from one ar tot the next, these were prety easy to deal with. I have also faced guys who could apply techniques with not apparent difference whether kicking or hand or whatever, they were seamless. Those guys were scary. But, they had taken one art and built upon that first.

Taking nothing away from Bruce Lee he did not master the Wing Chun system. I say this simply because he did not complete the whole system therefore he could not be considered a master of the system. He did take what he had been taught and raise it to extraordinary levels. I would agree that it would be difficult to find many martial artists today who trained with his intensity or at his level. I think Lee's accomplishments stand on thier own and do not need to be exagerated by making claims of mastery or making it seem like he was the best in this or that system. He had a wonderful ability to learn and retain things which he had only been shown once or twice. He was in incredible physical condition despite several physical flaws. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think his drive and determination showed a lot and contributed more to his success than the amount of arts he studied.

I also would reccommend the book The Tao of Jeet Kune Do. It makes a fine addition to any library. Along with this book i would also like to reccommend Living the Martial Way.

Peace,

Dave

flavour54
08-06-2000, 06:18 PM
Here Here, I can do nothing but whole-heartedly agree with Sihing73.

curious
08-06-2000, 09:19 PM
Thanks so much, guys! I would like to establish a base in either Springin Leg or Nortehern Shaolin Long Fist, as I already have some experience in these arts. Peace, and God Bless.