PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a MA journal?

SPJ
04-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Over the years, I have accumulated many notes in papers.

There are drawings of moves. For each move, I take notes on hands, eyes, body structure, intent and steps. Or Shou Yen Shen Fa Bu.

Applications were given to me as examples. I had to derive at least three more apps. And that really made me to think about all the principles inherent in the moves to derive more apps. After a while, derivations of apps become my biggest hobby.

My brother always hated the principles and derivations of apps.

Do you take note or keep a journal of your MA lessons?

How and what do you record?

:)

SPJ
04-20-2005, 09:52 PM
In my notebooks, for each move, I usually locate the principles and write them down. With these, I was able to think more about the various aspects of the move. And then the apps will show up.

My brother likes to learn as many techniques as possible. However, he can only know or memorize one app for each move. He is very good. He practice very diligently. However, if you talk about principles, he would have a headache. He likes to keep every thing simple or mono intent.

I like to think and ask a lot of Q's. I tend to take apart each move and put them back with principles one by one. I do not practice many moves. But I master more apps from a single move.

The teacher said that my brother is able to see the leaves and branches. Whereas I was able to see the main trunk and the root. What the teacher means is that I may grow more from understanding the principles. If one only focuses on techniques and apps and totally discarding the principles, then one is limited by the techniques or only sees the leaves and branches and does not see the trunk and root.

I may see many principles in one move. While my brother may see only one principle in one move at a time.

In short, in my notes, for each move, there are many principles and many apps recorded.

In my brother's notes, for each move, he only recorded one app, even though sometimes the teachers may list three.

Basically, I learn the theory and principles and apply them to analyze in every single move. My brother does not.

Do you analyze all the moves you practice with principles?

:D

Samurai Jack
04-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm starting a journal for Aikido next week. Basically I'm completly dissatisfied with the majority of Aikido books out there since they tend to be either picture books, or foo-foo philosophy books. The thing is that usually only one application is shown for a technique, but just as in CMA there are really hundreds of variations. As a former CMA practitioner I can often see things that my fellow students don't.

For example I can often see openings left when a technique is done slightly incorrectly that another student may not see, and different angles that a technique can be applied to in order to close those openings. My Sensei always shows several applications to a single movement, yet interestingly most of my fellow students seem to think that each application is a seperate technique! Alot of people seem to miss the principles that link such things together. I figure someone needs to write a book that explores these areas and explains them thouroughly. That someone might as well be me!

SPJ, do you have any suggestions as to what sort of information may be useful to record in a journal with a future book in mind?

Chief Fox
04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
To be honest, I've never thought of doing this. This would be a monumentous task. I'll give it a shot. I'll start on my first form this week.

PaiLumDreamer
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
We are pretty much required to keep our own journals.

I admit ive been...lazy. Im just recently trying to get myself into gear.

When I have written, its normally about the forms so I can go back and check myself if I get rusty. Ill write down every move, and how to perform it. I try my best to write it so if I didnt even know the form, I could walk through it.

I tried writing down individual techniques, but...it wasnt very good.

For those I would like some type of drawing at least, but I cant draw! Mine are stick figures.

But I do plan on making a detailed "book". Eventually.

Writing down different applications...well, I could do that, yes...but normally I just understand how to use something. If I were to write down different apps for each and every thing ive learned...well, that would be a huge book! :eek: Even though it does sound fun.

I love writing down philosophy about my style, when I actually do. What I learn is not just a way to throw a punch or a kick...its a way to channel my creativity into every day life.

Anyway, Ive been wanting to go back and detail my manual...but I usually cant find the time. (excuses!) :P Now im inspired to make some. Thanks for the topic.

SevenStar
04-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I keep one, but I only put certain things in it - I don't log everything I do. I write down notes on techniques and how to do them properly, if I learned something new in class. I have sections that list the finer points of certain techniques, have self assessments and also lesson plans for myself and those that I teach.

Swordless
04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
I've kept mine for about two years now, and it is a bit of a pain, but at the most if I decide to teach it will be a great resource to me; otherwise it will just be a great source of memories. Either way is worth the hassle.

PangQuan
04-21-2005, 03:28 PM
I will write down names of forms, and of stances and techniques, as well as any notes I have on any one thing. I keep all my forms on film.

then i draw the sequence of movements in the forms. I used to want to be a comic book artist so i pull that into play, and draw shaolin monks doing the forms. :D

SPJ
04-22-2005, 07:57 AM
SJ;

There are so many styles in CMA and JMA. I was exposed to some Northern styles. So I can not speak for all.

1. However, when I record a move, I record all the requirements for the move such as position and direction of movement of my arms, legs, waist, eyes, etc.

2. The power generation, transfer or relay and delivery. Where the power or Jing originates, how to transmitt and how to deliver to the opponent. The interaction of Jing with the opponent's Jing in terms of directions and intensity. CMA have many terms to describe the characteristic (all of the above factors mentioned) of Jing.

3. Defense in between your moves. Where and how is your defense strategy? As you mentioned that you are able to see other students opening in moves.

4. How to change from one move to the other with considerations of 1. 2. 3 above.

5. Apps. The purpose of the move, Jing etc. What are the advantage and disadvantage?

6. Requirements for everything to work?

In short, how to do the moves "correctly" as dictated with the app or purpose, how to change into a different move, how to disengage safely. I called the 3 how's.

---

Chief Fox
04-22-2005, 08:19 AM
I will write down names of forms, and of stances and techniques, as well as any notes I have on any one thing. I keep all my forms on film.

then i draw the sequence of movements in the forms. I used to want to be a comic book artist so i pull that into play, and draw shaolin monks doing the forms. :D

hey PangQuan, I used to want to be a comic book artist too but i sold out and went into graphic design and now web design. Why don't you post some of your drawings. We could start up some kung fu web comics.

PangQuan
04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
hey PangQuan, I used to want to be a comic book artist too but i sold out and went into graphic design and now web design. Why don't you post some of your drawings. We could start up some kung fu web comics.

I dont have a scanner, but I probably can get down to a Kinkos sometime, sure.

Samurai Jack
04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured SPJ.

We don't necessarily have names for every little thing that happens internally in a technique, but we still have the phenomena. For example when I do most techniques correctly I feel a pulling, expanding or contracting sensation in my Hara/ Dan Tien. The pulling happens when I do a projective technique such as a throw and usually happens in the opposite direction to the movement. The expanding happens when I root or when I feel thier force trying to clash against mine, but my projection is stronger. The contraction tends to happen when I redirect or go along with the technique, it's like a "sucking in" feeling. There are lots of variations on these phenomena and I expect my understanding will become deeper with the help of a journal.

IronFist
04-22-2005, 04:31 PM
I have some, yes.

GeneChing
04-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I keep one. I call it Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine (http://www.kungfumagazine.com) ... :rolleyes:

PangQuan
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I keep one. I call it Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine (http://www.kungfumagazine.com) ... :rolleyes:

lol.......