PDA

View Full Version : NYC Area Throwdown: sign up sheet

Ray Pina
04-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Organizing a "Throwdown" for May 8th at Fight House (122 West 27th st)

red5angel
04-21-2005, 07:43 AM
is this a NHB gloves and mouthpieces anything goes type of thing?

Ray Pina
04-21-2005, 07:52 AM
The past few have been great, with a variety of folks showing up and competing in a variety of formats (rolling, no striking; light sparring with 4 oz gloves and shin guards; and last week I had a battle with a big guy with no gear, 4oz gloves and going for it) .... everyoen works out what they want to do before hand. (bummed my friend didn't hit record)

I'm looking for more NHB matches with 4oz or no gloves. I wear a mouth piece and a cup. The Gym does not allow shoes because a few people broke ankles in the past getting caught on the mats.

Anyway, it's good fun and a great opportunity to improve and compare.

Anyone interested please post what you're looking for.

Vash
04-21-2005, 08:39 AM
I'd love to do some NHB-style sparring. But, you guys need to go ahead and bring that stuff to the Deep South so I can show you how it's done.

Shaolinlueb
04-21-2005, 09:06 AM
that in manhatten island or in brooklyn or something?

Ray Pina
04-21-2005, 10:11 AM
It's in Manhattan. Very close to Penn Station. Walking distance.

jmd161
04-21-2005, 05:00 PM
What Time?

sounds interesting!

jeff:)

Losttrak
04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
All the nifty stuff happens in other parts of the world. HATE. :mad:

All we get are tornados...

joedoe
04-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Organise your own one.

Losttrak
04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Hehe Look in my post history and you will see my first harmless attempt to get some stylists together for some martial arts camraderie. Turned into a total mind-boggling soap opera.

One visit to a school to talk to their sifu (who I had already met through a friend who was attending that very school), and suddenly it turned into a Showdown at High Noon. Lines were drawn, ranks formed.... lol I am playing it up, but someone apparently been watching too many kung fu flicks. My sifu said to forget about it. I tried stirring the embers one more desperate time and everyone was busy.

The kicker is... my wife is now working with the wife of one of the people with who I originally tried to organize things. Somehow it was mentioned that I practiced martial arts. My wife was told, "My husband practices martial arts also and always enjoys crossing hands. Our husbands should get together..."

I had a good laugh at that one.

joedoe
04-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Hahaha.

See, the way we did it here was that someone organised for us to get together one day. There was no talk of crossing hands, just to meet up and get to know each other. At the first meeting we just talked about our various arts and demonstrated a little bit. At subsequent meetings we started to spar, do chi sao etc. Ever since we get together and no-one knows what might happen - we might sit around and shoot the breeze, or we might get into some serious sparring.

I think the key was to lay a foundation of familiarity and respect before crossing hands. That way we were a good way to becoming friends before we tried to beat each other up :)

Oh, and the other important thing is that it was never hosted at anyone's school. It was always hosted at a 'neutral' location at first. That way school pride never got in the way.

Losttrak
04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I had a neutral ground set up and everything. I had met some of these people on this forum and at a local kung fu tournament. I figured everything was cool. Silly me.

Perhaps my true arsehole nature shone through? I mean I would rather be fighting than sharing life-stories any day. :) Is that wrong?

I haven't given up though. I am putting together a business model for a gym that specializes in combat/martial arts, etc. With MMA sharing some of the limelight recently, it could be time to take some action soon.

joedoe
04-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Nah, not arsehole nature. Your priorities are just different :). We just thought it was safer to get to know one another before we started beating up on one another. ;)

Ray Pina
04-22-2005, 06:25 AM
What Time?

sounds interesting!

jeff:)

We haven't set a time yet. Looking to see who can come and at what times. Preferably around noon.

Ray Pina
04-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Hehe Look in my post history and you will see my first harmless attempt to get some stylists together for some martial arts camraderie. Turned into a total mind-boggling soap opera.

We've already ran a few succesful ones. We found a nuetral place to rent us space and they leave us a lone. Everyone is very cool and very polite because do you want to **** someone off you're going to play with using 4oz gloves?

We're all martial artists trying to improve. Contact can range from light to heavy but we're really looking to promote the medium (hitting the head but not going full) and up category.

It's no big deal. We're not fighting for rings or trophies. You do your best. You get in trouble you tap, take a break, get some water, a ****, come back and do it again with someone else in a little bit.

It's that simple. Would love to have some heads.

Losttrak
04-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Well, good luck with that! I really hope that practicioners of martial arts become more open and willing to share with others. Its really a nice symbiotic way of learning, when you can all pitch in different experiences and techniques in an attempt to gain martial completeness.

wdl
04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
I'd love to do some NHB-style sparring. But, you guys need to go ahead and bring that stuff to the Deep South so I can show you how it's done.

Your in NC right? I've seen the folks from Asheville around the board here, I know there are a few in Atlanta, would a southeastern get together be worth the effort to plan?

-Will