PDA

View Full Version : Tiger claw book

xingyiman
04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Does anyone own or can give honest comments about these two books? Like or dislike? Useful?

Entering the FU JOW PAI
(Tiger Claw Kung Fu)
by Tak Wah Eng

Tiger in the Moonlight
by Paul Koh

Thank you.

jmd161
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't know about the Paul Koh book ,but i've heard the Tak Wah Eng book was good. Koh is a bit controversial to say the least.

Infact both Tak Wah Eng and Paul Koh have come under some bad press.

That's about as much as i can help.

jeff:)

David Jamieson
04-21-2005, 05:26 PM
lurker! :p

I thought Koh and Eng were both students of Wai Hong, with Eng being Koh's sihing ergo teaching him most of the stuff he had. I also thought they both had a falling out with the FJP Federation as a whole and hence all the "public notices" about bogus FJP schools on their sites.

Anywho... Haven't seen either of the books, but Engs's skill looks good compared to pics of Kohs that I have seen which looks a little rigid. MInd you, the stuff I seen of Koh goes back a few years, everyone improves with time and practice.

jmd161
04-21-2005, 05:45 PM
lurker! :p

I thought Koh and Eng were both students of Wai Hong, with Eng being Koh's sihing ergo teaching him most of the stuff he had. I also thought they both had a falling out with the FJP Federation as a whole and hence all the "public notices" about bogus FJP schools on their sites.

Anywho... Haven't seen either of the books, but Engs's skill looks good compared to pics of Kohs that I have seen which looks a little rigid. MInd you, the stuff I seen of Koh goes back a few years, everyone improves with time and practice.

Lurker? LOL :D

Yeah i guess i am huh? LOL

jeff:)

cerebus
04-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Tak Eng's book is good. It was my understanding that Koh is Eng's student, I never heard of Koh training under Wai Hong. Eng was one of Wai Hong's top students 'til they had a falling out. As for Koh, he's made some serious enemies. There's a standing challenge against him from Master Hui Cambrelin, one of Wai Hong's top guys (and a former full-contact fighter) telling him to stop using the Fu Jow Pai name or get his azz kicked. I wouldn't want to fight Cambrelin... :eek:

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 07:49 AM
They live in the same city don't they? :p The Black tiger hall site and the waising kwoon site both make allusion to some unrest in their style. But nothing is said outright and Koh still runs what I am guessing is a fairly successful kungfu school in New York.

Kungfu politics are just a bunch of hot air, nobody ever does anything, nobody ever makes any standards and ultimately they (kungfu styles) just get more and more watered down in the silliness of face games.

restraining orders seem to override deathmatches these days. :D empty challenges, hoarding, withholding, etc etc these are all diseases of real kungfu. Kungfu doesn't belong to anyone, once you have it in you, you either do or you don't. If you can do it, then do it, if you can't then seek it out and learn it. Then take it and make it yours.

My main point is that you can't put out books, websites and videos (mostly videos) that show your style and then say after reaping the ego and monetary rewards of doing so that what people have from that is not theirs.

What they have is theirs and you as the person who has released teh material must accept that. Even in teh case where there is a falling out, the person who was studying doesn't suddenly lose all their years of training magically, in many cases they go on and seek out more and continue to grow and make the kungfu their own. To think that they are less is foolish.

If you don't want people to learn, if you don't want people to advance and become adept, then you should never start teaching them in the first place and keep that with you and go to your grave with it. It's that simple.

And if you are going to spread kungfu, then make a commitment to spreading it responsibly to ensure that if someone who used to be within your ranks does make their way out in the future, that they do it well and do not sully that thing which you claim to hold so dear.

In the end, there is no bad publicity, but there is still lots of bad kungfu. And this comes from the ill intent of hubris and ego. If you're gonna give give and if your gonna take, take! The transmission of Kungfu is symbiotic. If there is an error in transmission it all dies. and that which was good becomes rotten.