PDA

View Full Version : Supplements and MA training.

maximus
04-21-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm new here, so maybe this has already been discussed, but I'm curious to know what the general consensus is regarding common athletic supplements (protein and creatine) and Martial Arts training. Has anyone out there had any experiences - either success or failure - in the use of these supplements? I have used these in the past while training for various activities, however, as a new student to Kung Fu, I'm not sure if they would have a good or bad effect on my progress.

ewallace
04-22-2005, 05:56 AM
Depends on your goals. If you are going to be weight training (for strength or mass), you definitely should have a good amount of protein. As for general health, I personally take Nature's Plus Ultra One daily vitamin, Folic Acid, and EPA/DHA Omega 3's. I notice that I don't catch colds or get sick nearly as often as opposed to when I don't take them (mainly the MV), and Folic Acid is good on the ole ticker.

Check with your teacher as well, especially about his views on weight training. We could catch and correct a problem early on this one. :)

FooFighter
04-22-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm new here, so maybe this has already been discussed, but I'm curious to know what the general consensus is regarding common athletic supplements (protein and creatine) and Martial Arts training. Has anyone out there had any experiences - either success or failure - in the use of these supplements? I have used these in the past while training for various activities, however, as a new student to Kung Fu, I'm not sure if they would have a good or bad effect on my progress.

A martial artist should have a balanced and healthy diet but he or she should start using any supplements.

Here are some supplements that should be used by martial artists intelligently:

1. Multi-Vit

2. Joint supplements

3. Whey Protein

4. Water

5. Emergen'c supplement.

6. Creatine

7. Fat Burners (use moderately)

9. Anti-oxident supplements

maximus
04-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. The emergen-c sounds like a good idea. I think I'll start with some protein and creatine and see how it goes. Thx again guys.

Vash
04-22-2005, 10:45 PM
I would'nt really call protein powders supplements - good as food for the most part, and usually cheaper.

Creatine, well, same deal as protein, though I'm hesitant to come out and call it food, as it is only a part.

For me, here's my list:

multivitamin

glucosamine

calcium

protein powder

powerdrive

surge

hot-rox (will start on alpha male a week after this bottle of HR is out, have used Tribex before to great effect)

gatorade

Becca
04-22-2005, 10:59 PM
I would'nt really call protein powders supplements - good as food for the most part, and usually cheaper...

Mmmmm... Especially when put into the blender with 1 cup of yogurt, a whole orange, and a whole banana... :)

Vash
04-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Mmmmm... Especially when put into the blender with 1 cup of yogurt, a whole orange, and a whole banana... :)

So, we're getting married, right?

Becca
04-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanx, but I prefer to leave the red-skinned nightmeres alone.... ;)

Mikkyou
04-23-2005, 08:26 AM
I taken Creatine and Whey protein I found them useless and a waste of money.
I taken massgainers stopped taking them for a year went back to my normal size.
If you want to get "big"be prepared to spend big.You do not need to take protein shake ala Whey or anything like that.Your body needs very little protein to function which is easily obtainable thru food.Now if you want to use Protein to increase your muscle size guess what you still do not need a protein shake.
Average Protein shake yields 20-30g per serving of course you can double it.
But you can easily get your protein body weight thru food.And how do I know this because I do it.As a stomach doctor said to me when I asked him how do I gain weight he said one simple thing"eat" I noticed alot of people mentioned other supplements such as Antioxiants and fat burners and so on.Heres what I love to say about this fact:Japanese live in a fairly polluted state (Tokyo is similar to Newyork)work harder than most Americans(Japanese works7-9)smokes,drinks yet still have the second longest life exp.then Americans.Japanese do not have Vitamin shops like we have in America and Japanese do not take any supplements like we do as far as antioxiants,fatburners and multi.Their great health is followed by their incredible diet.So yes taking supplements has their benefits but its do much easier to just eat a healthy diet cheaper too I bet.

Vash
04-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanx, but I prefer to leave the red-skinned nightmeres alone.... ;)

. . . That was a bad picture.

:(

:D

IronFist
04-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Roids
Speed
Protein
Water
Crack
Pot

Toby
04-23-2005, 09:42 PM
mikkyou, I'll address one of your points - the price of protein. You said it's cheaper to get your macronutrient and micronutrient supplies from a regular diet. It's certainly not in Oz, and I highly doubt it is in Japan given the urban legends about the price of meat in Tokyo. I would love to get all my protein intake from meat, but it's not realistic. E.g. if I could get good steak for AUD$10/kg I'd be pretty lucky. Beef is around 22% protein. So I'd be paying ~$45/kg for the protein content. Decent fish I'd be happy to pay $20/kg, and the protein content is the same, so about ~$90/kg of protein. Protein powder I pay $26/kg for one and $33/kg for the other, so it just works out much cheaper for me to boost my protein intake from powder. I'd much prefer to eat fish and red meat all day long, but I just can't afford it.

There are some other points of yours that I'd like to address, but I can't be bothered right now.

wall
04-24-2005, 02:14 AM
IMO if you have a good balanced diet (3 main meals, 2 secondary meals, plenty of lean proteins, carbs, vegetables and fruit) you should not need ANY supplements. Supplements (and more ...) are needed only to ... supplement ... a lacking diet, or in extreme cases of depletive sports (eg ironman competitors) or mass "sports" (eg pro bodybuilders).

Wall

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 06:38 AM
I highly doubt it is in Japan given the urban legends about the price of meat in Tokyo American steak in Japan is not to expensive.Most Japanese eat fish which is not to expensive as well.You do not have to get all your protein from meat I do not see Japanese eating as much meat as Americans lol.Lets see milk and yogurt have great amounts of protein.Soy products have excellent source of protein.Nuts another good source,beans another source.Lets see a can of tuna cost 0.50cents to $1.00 equals about 33g of protein so it would cost about $14.00 for a month supply if eaten everyday.Beans are about 0.59cents a can thats 28gram of protein the same amount as a protein shake.Yogurt has 10grams of protein add 3servings of soynuts you got 40grams of protein for about a $1.00.add to servings off oatmeal with the yogurt shake you got yourself easily 50grams protein.Lets talk about pasta.The average
person does not eat 2oz of pasta the average person for a plate of pasta is a cup or 2 another 28grams of protein.I use this as examples that you can get all your protein from food.By the way God only knows what crap is in those protein shake
some of it has drugs equilvent to Speed :)Heres a question how much do you weigh? And I can show you in dietary plan you can get the body weight of protein in food.

Toby
04-24-2005, 07:11 AM
... milk ...Is ~4-5% protein. Milk's a pretty cheap source of protein actually, which is why I drink around 2L a day. More on weekends when I'm close to the fridge.

... soy ...I'm not a fan of soy. I'll eat soy beans in a tuna casserole or stew or soup or salad or whatever, but soy isn't something I like eating too much of. Reasons have been discussed here many times.

... nuts and beans ...Yeah, I eat a bit of them.

... can of tuna ...I eat a can a day. Our cans in Oz only have about 16g protein and even 1 can/day is too much according to some sources - the whole mercury thing. IIRC the recommendation is more like 2-3 cans a week.

... yoghurt ...Love it.

... pasta ...Yeah, I don't mind pasta, although I try to avoid it. If I'm going to eat it, I prefer to have some exercise planned for afterwards to burn off.

By the way God only knows what crap is in those protein shake
some of it has drugs equilvent to Speed :)Really? I'm surprised it's not more expensive or more popular. Got any evidence to back up that statement? Anyway, my protein's pure. The chemical composition is listed on the packet and website I buy it from. I don't buy premixed shakes, I buy pure protein and make my own shakes. In fact I'm gunna have one now - whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, milo, nutmeg, cinnamon and milk, then I'm going to bed :).

I weigh 86kg currently, and I like to get around 200g of protein a day. I prefer minimal carbs, although I like to eat a lot of fibre and leafy greens.

Vash
04-24-2005, 07:54 AM
By the way God only knows what crap is in those protein shake
some of it has drugs equilvent to Speed

Snap, if Speed-equivalent compounds are in protein mixes, then why do I not feel the Speed-equivalent effects? Maybe I'm too saturated with creatine from all the meat I eat.

I think this should be a part of the Worst of the Worst: Training Myths Debunked thread.

If you would, please cite some sources for your (mis)information with regards to diet and training.

Oh, just a little afterthought: we here are not training to be healthy as the Average Joe. We are training to be healthier. Much healthier. If you hadn't noticed, the world is getting fatter, more depressed, and is going to start living shorter lives. We don't want to be that. We want to be extraordinary.

Supplements: they can be used to supplement a lacking diet, but they can also be used to facilitate nutritional intake beyond what we can generally eat at a meal, allowing more effective training.

Becca
04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
It's a preferance thing for me. I don't like to eat a heavy breakfast. A fruit smoothy with 2/3 scoop of protein shake tasts good, fills me up and never gets boreing... I also just don't like meat much. It's not that I'm a vegitarian or anything. I just don't eat much meat... Not enough to maintain a health muscle mass, anywho. I don't supliment, I start loosing some of my strength and endurence. I'm one of the smallest adults in my kwoon, so loosing endurance isn't much fun when Sifu is on one of his sparring kicks. :o

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 08:57 AM
if Speed-equivalent compounds are in protein mixes, then why do I not feel the Speed-equivalent effects Maybe your protein shake does not have it which is why you don't feel it duh sound logical?Speed like substances as in increased heart rate,"jitters" and so on.
If you would, please cite some sources for your (mis)information with regards to diet and training. On which subject on diet and training be more specific please.
Average Joe. We are training to be healthier. Much healthier. If you hadn't noticed, the world is getting fatter, more depressed, and is going to start living shorter lives. We don't want to be that. We want to be extraordinary. Which is why I stated the fact about the Japanese and Okinawans who have the longest life would that not be the healthiest and living pass 100 be extra-ordinary?
they can be used to supplement a lacking diet, but they can also be used to facilitate nutritional intake beyond what we can generally eat at a meal, allowing more effective training. Sure if you eating cookies and cakes lol.Do you really need to take Lycopene pills or can you get it from eating a tomoto.Do you need garlic pills or can you add the garlic to the tomato sauce?Point is the healthiest longest living people do not supplement with pills and so on they get it all from diet they get plenty of exercise and are still able to function like a 60yr old at 100yrs of age.

Becca
04-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Sure if you eating cookies and cakes lol.Do you really need to take Lycopene pills or can you get it from eating a tomoto.Do you need garlic pills or can you add the garlic to the tomato sauce?Point is the healthiest longest living people do not supplement with pills and so on they get it all from diet they get plenty of exercise and are still able to function like a 60yr old at 100yrs of age.
Some people have digestive issues with sertain types of food. Acid reflux makes eating garlic and tomatos he!!. Much better to find alternative nutrient sources, yes? And saying the asians (I'm assuming this one) don't supliment is BS. They don't usually pop pills, no, but they do suppliment. They usually use potiens, teas, and other holistic treatments... :rolleyes:

Vash
04-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Maybe your protein shake does not have it which is why you don't feel it duh sound logical?

God only knows what's in them, though.

On which subject on diet and training be more specific please.

Diet. I've had my fill of training fallacies.

Which is why I stated the fact about the Japanese and Okinawans who have the longest life would that not be the healthiest and living pass 100 be extra-ordinary?

Specifics - names, dates of birth and death, would be great. I'm rather familiar with the long lives of Okinawa, but can't pull off the top of my head names of those who exceeded 100years.

Sure if you eating cookies and cakes lol

?

Do you really need to take Lycopene pills or can you get it from eating a tomoto.Do you need garlic pills or can you add the garlic to the tomato sauce?

Of course not. We're not talking lycopene and garlic. I'm not sure what you're on about, really. Aside from protein and soy being good.

Point is the healthiest longest living people do not supplement with pills and so on they get it all from diet they get plenty of exercise and are still able to function like a 60yr old at 100yrs of age.

Really. Again, I'd love to see specific incidencies of this in the MODERN ERA in INDUSTRIALIZED NATIONS.

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Some people have digestive issues with sertain types of food. Acid reflux makes eating garlic and tomatos he *Sigh Lycopene in Tomato was one example you can find it in other food sources lol Garlic was another example used
to describe the contrast of pills vs.natural source.
BS. They don't usually pop pills, no, but they do suppliment. They usually use potiens, teas, and other holistic treatments... I would say Green tea is not a supplement but considered a food or beverage.I would also say there really is no vitamin shops in Japan at least in Tokyo.Japanese use some Herbs would I call that supplements nope I would call that food.Hippocrates said "let thy food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be thy food" so it is a fine line between herbs as a classified "supplement" and a food.
Diet. I've had my fill of training fallacies. What do you want to know specificly about diet its a broad catogory.
Specifics - names, dates of birth and death, would be great. I'm rather familiar with the long lives of Okinawa, but can't pull off the top of my head names of those who exceeded 100years. Heres the deal,Havard did a 24yr study on okinawan and found they had the highest percent of centurians.
Read the book "The Okinawa program"it list all the info on their diet and names.
Of course not. We're not talking lycopene and garlic. I'm not sure what you're on about I used it as a point of reference to what is sold in vitamin stores to what you can get naturally.
Really. Again, I'd love to see specific incidencies of this in the MODERN ERA in INDUSTRIALIZED NATIONS. I just told you Tokyo is a modern city polluted dirty and is in the 21century yet the Japanese do not take supplements like we do in the states.I do not see any point mentioning actual names because you can not look them up on the net lol.

Vash
04-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I do not see any point mentioning actual names

What little credibility you had just up and commited hara-kiri.

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I do not see any point mentioning names because 1.you can look them up yourself
and I gave you the reference point to look up back by Harvard.2.I see no point in having give one or two people names because it is done as a census meaning
the area with the most centurians.Listing one or two names who have peaked over 100 in France does not mean the French diet is healthy,But when a majority of the population lives to be 80+ then yes the diet would be considered healthy as is backed up by this Harvard study.But for you since you seem to be rather lazy or can not use a search engine I will give you Kame Miyagi 101yrs old
Toku Oyakawa 106yrs old Tabsan 102yrs old Ushisan 101yrs old Hirosan102yrs old a couple of other names listed are in their late 90's these few names are but a small example of longivity in Okinawa.Seeing has I have listed names Unless you can read Okinawan or speak Okinawan I do not see any point in listing names
unless you are to contact them or go to Okinawa and look at their family register
(which is required date of birth,and death so it shows how accurate the claims are)

IronFist
04-24-2005, 12:57 PM
My protein shakes never had speed in them. I feel jipped!

Becca
04-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Mikkyou- There is more than one type of tea... There is no way to get the health benifits of garlic through food other than to actually eat it, and some people just cannot eat it... The habit of eating royal jelly is oriental and if that isn't a supliment, I don't know what is.

I could go one, but I won't. You realy don't know what you are talking about. I think you are one of those neo-yuppies who read something in some mag rag and discided to join the band wagon without doing any further research on the topic. Let me guess, you also believe in blood typing, too? :rolleyes:

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE]Mikkyou- There is more than one type of tea Of course there is more than one type of tea lol
There is no way to get the health benifits of garlic through food other than to actually eat it, and some people just cannot eat it Garlic in very small amount should not cause to much of a stomch irritation even those with GERD being one who suffered from Acid reflux I saw no porblem with a clove of Garlic.I know of one woman who would swallow the whole clove.
The habit of eating royal jelly is oriental and if that isn't a supliment, I don't know what is Well Royal jelly is what a Queen Bee eats
so its food lol.But like I said in my previous post its a fine line between it being an actual"supplement" and it being "food"
You realy don't know what you are talking about. *sigh I stated sources, names, but I guess its not good enough.Please tell me exactually what I said is inaccurate I have no problem backing up anything I said and I am sure a quick Goggle search would turn up actually what I stated.
I think you are one of those neo-yuppies who read something in some mag rag and discided to join the band wagon without doing any further research on the topic. I don't read to many health magazine just not interested..however I do read plenty of books and I was a manager at a vitamin shop what ever thats worth. I am not sure which band wagon you are talking about I stated only what I have 1.read 2.seen or experience first hand myself.
Let me guess, you also believe in blood typing, too No not really just someone who is interested in nutrition.

WinterPalm
04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
I've heard good things about Greens Plus. Do you guys feel it is necessary to supplement your vegetable intake or just protein? The way I see it, most people in martial arts get more than enough protein yet many, especially in North America, are lacking in their vegetable intake.

IronFist
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
What do you mean by "blood typing?" You mean like A, AB, O, that stuff? That's real, so I hope you're talking about something else.

Vash
04-24-2005, 06:49 PM
I've heard good things about Greens Plus. Do you guys feel it is necessary to supplement your vegetable intake or just protein? The way I see it, most people in martial arts get more than enough protein yet many, especially in North America, are lacking in their vegetable intake.

Indeed. Usually though, I'll just blend up whatever veggies I want for the day if I won't have time for a sit-down meal. Tastes a little like hell, but it's good.

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 06:54 PM
[
. Do you guys feel it is necessary to supplement your vegetable intake or just protein? You do not need to supplement your vegtable intake you just simply eat a variety of different vegtables.For example Dark leafy greens,Orange and Red,and white.See the Onion has what is called Allicin which is what is in Garlic and is the active ingredient in Garlic pills.
The way I see it, most people in martial arts get more than enough protein yet many, especially in North America, are lacking in their vegetable intake. The American diet is very high in Protein,Saturarted fat,Trans fat,Soduim,and other additives(Additives are also found in supplement pills some additives like food coloring can cause cancer)Most Dietians are now saying to increase vegetable intake from 5 a day to about 9 a day.A serving is not a lot thats about a carrot or a half cup of greens easy to juice very simple to add 16servings of veggies a day.

Vash
04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Most Dietians

Suck ass.

Rehash 20 year old material.

Suck ass.

Recommend .8g per kg of bodyweight.

However, I say: eat vegetables, organic vegetables, as often as you possibly can.

Mikkyou
04-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Recommend .8g per kg of bodyweight. 8kg of what?
a kg is about what a pound- pound an half?9serving of fruit and vegetable was the recommended dose last I heard in 2004.As for now the diet prymind(I know I spelled this wrong its late lol)Is a little different.

WinterPalm
04-24-2005, 07:48 PM
IN my country the daily recommended amount of vegetables and fruit is 10-15 servings. I try to eat as much of it as I can but sometimes it can be difficult to eat a variety that is why I was curious about the Greens Plus thing or if it is like protein shakes: not really worth the money and better to stick to the real thing. However, the vegetable powder seems to have some things in like herbs and other things I don't normally eat.

Becca
04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
8kg of what?
a kg is about what a pound- pound an half?9serving of fruit and vegetable was the recommended dose last I heard in 2004.As for now the diet prymind(I know I spelled this wrong its late lol)Is a little different.

Recommend .8g per kg of bodyweight
ummm... 0.8 grams of protien per kilo of bodyweight... :confused:

Iron- Blood typing is the fad in dating in Japan and Korea. It is based on a study conducted in 1928 that wanted to know if a person's bood type affected thier personality. Good luck getting a date in Seol if you are a man with type B blood. :rolleyes:

A little closer to home, the theory is that people with type A blood have trouble digesting red meat because thier blood is too alkiline, while people with type O can eat pretty much anything they want and type B have a lower occurence of hardening of the arteries from cholesteral... :rolleyes: The truelly scarry part of that is how many nutrisionalists are recommending this... :(

Mikkyou
04-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Here Toby easy way to get in 200g of protein:
meal1:1 cup yogurt=10g plus 3oz soynut-30g 2serv oatmeal-8g total=48g

meal2:2cup pasta=56g served with sauce made with squash,zucchni,tomato,spinach,onion,green pepper,red pepper (7sev veggie)

meal3:1can of tuna-30g made with onion,green pepper,red pepper,carrot served on bread and kale(6more serving veggie)also served with 1 cup Edamame-16g

meal4:2 cup yogurt-20g 2oz soy nut-20g,strawberry,bannana shake

thats just 4 meals already equal 190g of protein 15servings of veggies and fruit
40% daily fiber from oatmeal.

*yogurt and soy nuts equal shakes. 2cup of pasta is an average plate of pasta.
this is not alot of food since the veggies in tuna are diced.Edamame is not filling at all so you can eat a bag of it no problem.soynuts are not very high in fat 7gserving your consuming 35gram of fat about 50% daily value

Vash
04-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Here Toby easy way to get in 200g of protein:
meal1:1 cup yogurt=10g plus 3oz soynut-30g 2serv oatmeal-8g total=48g

meal2:2cup pasta=56g served with sauce made with squash,zucchni,tomato,spinach,onion,green pepper,red pepper (7sev veggie)

meal3:1can of tuna-30g made with onion,green pepper,red pepper,carrot served on bread and kale(6more serving veggie)also served with 1 cup Edamame-16g

meal4:2 cup yogurt-20g 2oz soy nut-20g,strawberry,bannana shake

thats just 4 meals already equal 190g of protein 15servings of veggies and fruit
40% daily fiber from oatmeal.

*yogurt and soy nuts equal shakes. 2cup of pasta is an average plate of pasta.
this is not alot of food since the veggies in tuna are diced.Edamame is not filling at all so you can eat a bag of it no problem.soynuts are not very high in fat 7gserving your consuming 35gram of fat about 50% daily value

That's all good stuff. Except the soy beans. Soy hates testosterone.

One of the big reasons many of us use protein supplementation is time: I'm up 16 hours a day, normal, healthy time. However, I'm rarely able to sit down and make something to eat. With shakes, I can get in my nutrients and get my vegetables when I sit down.

Also, some of us don't like to eat a whole 'lot, or are allergic to some foods, or find it easier to fit proper diet into our lives with ready-to-go food.

And soy really, really sucks.

I bet you're a hippy.

Mikkyou
04-25-2005, 08:58 AM
[
Soy hates testosterone Don't worry you won't turn into a women so how much it affects your Testosterone won't cause any health problems.
I'm up 16 hours a day, normal, healthy time. However, I'm rarely able to sit down and make something to eat. With shakes, I can get in my nutrients and get my You sir are either lazy or do not know how to manage your time better.All the meals I listed can be made in 10mins or less.
Also, some of us don't like to eat a whole 'lot, or are allergic to some foods, This diet was for someone who wished to consume 200g of protein the amount of calories on this plan is average as well so no you are not eating alot.
or find it easier to fit proper diet into our lives with ready-to-go food. Again laziness.
And soy really, really sucks Ya that is why it is recommended by the American Heart Asst.,the cancer society and is a rich source of flavnoid the USDA agrees it beneficial for the Cardio system.But you are right all these organziation and their research and data are wrong :rolleyes:
I bet you're a hippy. LOL first I was called a Yuppie which is a Hippie who sells out to become a "suit" and now I am labeled a "Hippie" I am against violence,I believe in eating correctly common to Hippocrates ideals as well Ko hung ideas as well.I think the book My medicine is making me sick is an excellent example of pills and the dangers of them.

Vash
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Don't worry you won't turn into a women so how much it affects your Testosterone won't cause any health problems.

Perhaps. However, there is research showing a relationship in soy consumption and the increase of aromatization of testosterone into estrogen. This affect is more potent in aging males; however, that gives no reason to start the process early. Do I want to remove estrogen from my body completely? No, I'm no fool. However, I would limit it's production to necessary levels. By avoiding aromatization, I wish to reap the benefits of normal-high testosterone levels without introducing exogenous testosterone into my system.

For men, more testosterone = good, generally speaking of course.

You sir are either lazy or do not know how to manage your time better.

:rolleyes:

Shakes make up 1/2 of my diet - I eat six to seven times a day. I don't drink more than three shakes a day. When I eat, it's a big thing of vegetables (corn and spinach are two of my favorites) with tuna, chicken, or steak/hamburger. "Rarely sitting down and eating something," in this instance, means not sitting down to a plate more than 3 times a day. And with six or seven meals, that sounds half reasonable.

All the meals I listed can be made in 10mins or less. This diet was for someone who wished to consume 200g of protein the amount of calories on this plan is average as well so no you are not eating alot.

Indeed. However, I like to get in ~4,000 Calories to maintain my weight.

Again laziness.

Again, :rolleyes:

Ya that is why it is recommended by the American Heart Asst.,the cancer society and is a rich source of flavnoid the USDA agrees it beneficial for the Cardio system But you are right all these organziation and their research and data are wrong :rolleyes:

Indeed.

I'm not convinced that their "findings" with regards to health and soy are untainted by the color green, specifically that coming from the companies who produce soy products.

Of course, my nutrition studies are focused entirely on athletic training (which I believe is the best way to improve anyone's health), so I'm talking out of my ass.

LOL first I was called a Yuppie which is a Hippie who sells out to become a "suit" and now I am labeled a "Hippie" I am against violence,I believe in eating correctly common to Hippocrates ideals as well Ko hung ideas as well.I think the book My medicine is making me sick is an excellent example of pills and the dangers of them.

Hippies can wear suits.

Do you hate death metal?

Mikkyou
04-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Perhaps. However, there is research showing a relationship in soy consumption and the increase of aromatization of testosterone into estrogen This may be true however getting 25g of soy protein should be safe enough to not cause this problem.-Wake Forest University
Shakes make up 1/2 of my diet - I eat six to seven times a day. I don't drink more than three shakes a day. When I eat, it's a big thing of vegetables (corn and spinach are two of my favorites) with tuna, chicken, or steak/hamburger. "Rarely sitting down and eating something," in this instance, means not sitting down to a plate more than 3 times a day. And with six or seven meals, that sounds half reasonable. so you sit down to 3-4meals right? I gave 2 of my meals as shakes and 2 meals as sitting down that was only 4 meals which equaled 200g protein,at least 6sev veggies and 40%of diet fiber.
However, I like to get in ~4,000 Calories to maintain my weight. You should read the wonderful study about cosuming 1200-1500cal and how they actually were in a healthier state as well the studies on excess calorie intake and its effects on health.
I'm not convinced that their "findings" with regards to health and soy are untainted by the color green, specifically that coming from the companies who produce soy products. These orgniazations are not paided off they strictly do the research.These orgnizations put their name on products proven to reduce heart risk and cancer risk.
Of course, my nutrition studies are focused entirely on athletic training (which I believe is the best way to improve anyone's health), so I'm talking out of my ass. My nutrition study is based on what increase life expectacy because what increases your life would be the best way to improve your health.[QUOTE]I don't hate Death metal I perfer musicians who do not rely on heavy distrotion pedals,banging instead of playing drums,bass players who know more than 3 cords and singers who actually carry a note.Anyway I said
you can get all your protein from food I proved it.I stated who had the longest life backed it up with studies.Everything I said I backed it up.You sir are a Rabblerouser but I can see why based on your youthfulness good luck with your superior diet I am sure at 35yrs it will prove its worth.Anymore post address to me on this thread by you sir proves you are a Rabblerouser for I have proven my point and you simply wish to direct your hotheadness to me if you do not understand anything I said reread my post they are quite clear.Good luck -over with this thread :)

Reggie1
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Hippies can wear suits.

Do you hate death metal?

That made me laugh out loud. I'm going to have to start asking people who I suspect to be hippies that question.

You should read the wonderful study about cosuming 1200-1500cal and how they actually were in a healthier state as well the studies on excess calorie intake and its effects on health.

It's a pretty interesting study, but I don't think it's been something that's been researched enough to become widely accepted.

Death metal I perfer musicians who do not rely on heavy distrotion pedals,banging instead of playing drums,bass players who know more than 3 cords and singers who actually carry a note.

Hippie.

You sir are a Rabblerouser but I can see why based on your youthfulness good luck with your superior diet I am sure at 35yrs it will prove its worth.Anymore post address to me on this thread by you sir proves you are a Rabblerouser for I

Vash=rabblerouser. :D

Seriously, though, mikkyou, high school debate is over. I know you miss it and all, but the whole 'you, sir' thing has to go.

FngSaiYuk
04-25-2005, 04:16 PM
You should read the wonderful study about cosuming 1200-1500cal and how they actually were in a healthier state as well the studies on excess calorie intake and its effects on health.

That study is mostly geared towards longevity and improving the overall health of relatively inactive (compared to athletes) people. I wouldn't drop my caloric intake based on that study until I stop intensive physical training.

Mikkyou, you do make a lot of good points, however I think you need to put things in perspective. Many of the posters and readers of this forum aren't looking to just be 'healthy' but rather, extraordinarily fit. To fuel the body for the type of training many of us do, we need much greater caloric intake than the average sedentary couch potatoe or keyboard warrior. To build the kind of muscle and support systems to achieve our goals, we again, need a much higher intake than the average.

just my $0.02

Gangsterfist
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Roids
Speed
Protein
Water
Crack
Pot

Hey, were you looking at my secret training journal again? You totally stole my method :P

I eat reasonably healthy with the occasional splurge of something unhealthly (like pizza, etc) and I cannot give up beer, sorry like it too much. Here is what I do, since I like becca, do not eat very much meat. I rarely eat red meat, I eat mostly poultry, pork, or fish, and I eat it in small amounts compared to other food groups.

I occasionaly eat protein bars before or after a hard work out, or sometimes inbetween hard work outs. I generally eat the one that yields the most benefits with the least amount of calories, because I generally will eat a full meal a few hours after I do a hard work out.

My goal is to gain strength, but not muschle mass. I want to maintain flexibility, and gain strength with out growing huge muscles. Thats just me personally. So, I do tons of calestinics and try to eat balanced healthy meals. Along with lots of stretching and some cardio.

The protein powder in the yogart/fruit smoothy is a good one. Not only does it taste good, and its filling, you can use different fruits so it doesn't get boring. All you need is a blender.

this weekend I went to a seminar that was based on combat survival stuff. I can tell you that fitness is one of the most important things in fighting. We did tons of ground fighting and each of us had to take on 8 or so people for 30 seconds each, one a time with out stopping. If you tapped out, the clock stopped and you did the rest of your time. Then it rotated around so everyone fought everyone on the ground for 30 seconds at a time. After about the 4th person that fully rotated I was almost dead tired. So, maintaining good fitnes will make you a good fighter, but in the martial arts world fitness isn't always the number one tool. Technique, timing, etc can also help. However, in real fighting there is no internal, there is no external, there is no stand up, there is no ground, its all fighting, its all controlling energy and motion, and its all of your attributes versus theirs.

You just have to find out what works for you. I do all of my work outs based on the theory they will make me a better martial artist, and give me attributes to fight if I ever need to really fight.

IronFist
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Iron- Blood typing is the fad in dating in Japan and Korea. It is based on a study conducted in 1928 that wanted to know if a person's bood type affected thier personality. Good luck getting a date in Seol if you are a man with type B blood. :rolleyes:

I've heard of that before. In some Japanese role playing games (the VIDEO games... for like Nintendo) I've seen a character's bloodtype listed with their vital stats. Someone told me it was cuz they thought bloodtype affected personality.

A little closer to home, the theory is that people with type A blood have trouble digesting red meat because thier blood is too alkiline, while people with type O can eat pretty much anything they want and type B have a lower occurence of hardening of the arteries from cholesteral... :rolleyes: The truelly scarry part of that is how many nutrisionalists are recommending this... :(

I have a book called "Eat Right for Your Type," which addresses that issue. I haven't read it yet, tho.

IronFist
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Hippies can wear suits.

Do you hate death metal?

Bwahahahahahaha.

I don't like death metal, but I like black metal. I have Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, and Cradle of Filth in my car. I'm no hippie!

Becca
04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I like death metal well enough, but I'd much rather rock out to Sublime or Beck. Does that make me aself-hateing hippy? :confused: ;) :p

Vash
04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't like death metal. I like things from Sum 41, Massive Attack, Mizri, Sifu Beats, Metallica . . . I'm no **** hippy.

Though my best friend is. She has a great body though, so it's cool.

Becca
04-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Cool! I like Metallica, too, so I can't be a hippy. :cool: :D

Vash
04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Cool! I like Metallica, too, so I can't be a hippy. :cool: :D

**** straight.

*Memory Remains plays in background*

Becca
04-25-2005, 08:16 PM
:eek: :D I was listening to Unforgiven II when you posted that... :cool:

Vash
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
:eek: :D I was listening to Unforgiven II when you posted that... :cool:

You rock. :cool:

Becca
04-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I've heard of that before. In some Japanese role playing games (the VIDEO games... for like Nintendo) I've seen a character's bloodtype listed with their vital stats. Someone told me it was cuz they thought bloodtype affected personality.

I have a book called "Eat Right for Your Type," which addresses that issue. I haven't read it yet, tho.

Here's (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7544975/) A link to one artical on Koreans and "Type B men."

IronFist
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
I can't stand Sublime. I even made a thread about how much I don't like their music on another forum. :D

To each their own, tho. Cheers.

Vash
04-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I can't stand Sublime. I even made a thread about how much I don't like their music on another forum. :D

To each their own, tho. Cheers.

Sublime suxord monkey balls.

Becca
04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
And your point is? :confused: :rolleyes:

Vash
04-26-2005, 07:30 PM
And your point is? :confused: :rolleyes:

That Metallica pwnz Sub-lime.

IronFist
04-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Pre-St. Anger Metallica. St. Anger was the worst album evAr.

Vash
04-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Pre-St. Anger Metallica. St. Anger was the worst album evAr.

I dunno. I heard the Backdoor Boyz had an album.

Becca
04-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Vash... what the heck is "Sifu Beats"?

IronFist
04-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Ok. Worst Metallica album evAr.

Vash
04-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Vash... what the heck is "Sifu Beats"?

That's CaptinPickAxe's producer name. Does trip-hop and the like. Very good stuff.

Becca
04-26-2005, 08:49 PM
M'kay. What is trip hop? Know where I can find a sample?

Toby
04-29-2005, 08:48 AM
mikkyou, yeah, thanks for the suggestion, but too much soy. Vash's already addressed that though.

Metal rules. Death's pretty good, but I probably prefer speed metal. Stuff like early Slayer.

Metallica were good, up until the black album. Everything after that has sucked badly. They just got better and better up until And Justice For All ... then it all went downhill.

Reggie1
04-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Metallica were good, up until the black album. Everything after that has sucked badly. They just got better and better up until And Justice For All ... then it all went downhill.

I don't know, the black album is one of my favorites. IMO there are several good songs after the black album that are pretty good. Not nearly as many as the old stuff, but still a few.