PDA

View Full Version : Gong Fu or Kung Fu

Dim Wit Mak
04-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Gong Fu or Kung Fu? Is one usage more correct than the other or is it just a semantic thing? I have heard that some linguistic changes were made in China some years ago that makes Gong Fu more correct. This was supposed to be at the same time that Peking was changed to Beijing. Obviously I'm not real sure of any of the facts here.

SPJ
04-23-2005, 05:31 PM
It is the same thing in Chinese.

Gong Fu and Bei Jing are more close to the mandarin or Pekingese or the official language spoken in Bei Jing.

This is called Pin Yin system.

Peking, Nan King, Chung King or Kung Fu are romantization of Chinese pronounciation.

By the way, my Pin Yin really sucks. But I spoke Pekinese very well or they called Jing Pian Zi. 京片子

Tai Chi is now spelled as Tai Ji.

et cetera et cetera.

:D

Dim Wit Mak
04-23-2005, 08:44 PM
SPJ: Thanks for the information. :)

gfx
04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Kungfu is from Cantonese, and GongFu is from Mandarin. However, the word "kungfu" is more well known to English speakers. Depending your own language ( assuming you speak Chinese ), and your target audience, just pick one.

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 08:02 AM
omg! This question is as old as the romanization of Chinese language around the subject. LOL There were a lot of signs that went up with all iterations only serving to confuse the masses in the west who commonly refered to it as "Krotty" anyway.

It is pronounced Gungfu and can be spelt Kungfu or Gongfu Most people do not contiguously link the words and instead say Kung Fu. It's all good. Now go sit in a horse stance and contemplate your inner self. :p