PDA

View Full Version : XMA on discovery channel

HanRen
04-23-2005, 09:53 PM
any of yous watch that discovery channel's special on martial arts (Xtreme martial arts, XMA and its founder Mr. Chat)? they uses computer technology to demonstrate the impact and damage of martial arts. At the end of the programe it talks little about Kung Fu poles, to train your balance. :D

Becca
04-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Yup. They re-run it every six months or so. 'S ok, I guess.

Royal Dragon
04-23-2005, 11:31 PM
I watched gthe whole thing tonight, but lost intrest and started working Xiao Tai Tzu Chang Chaun duirng the comercials. Thye did that stupid Kombat Ki guy after too.

Tonight, the TV was on for back grond noise mostly.

A few highlights I did pay attention to though, the featured martial artists can kick with 2500 pounds of force. That impressed me. I also like the small section on Chan Poi's school. It was nice to see a Karate Champ needing to go to a Kung Fu school to stay on top.

HanRen
04-24-2005, 12:47 AM
I like the part when they talk about drunken boxing, really cool, espcially when they make it into Matrix like. but yet, too many japanese stuffs not alot of other martial arts.

Royal Dragon
04-24-2005, 07:08 AM
They did do a straight sword against the Katana though. Plus there was rope dart, and the three sectional staff against num chucks.

I also found the section on Ninjitsu interesting. It all looked like Akido/Jujitsu to me though. I do however, know how to make home made pepper spray with an egg now, so it's all good. :D

I would have liked to see some Bagua, Taiji, Hsing I and maybe some Long Fist or Five animals represented. Either that, or I wish they would have shown more on Chan Poi, like mentioning his daughter was the role modle for Mu Lan, and showing his system and trainig methods a bit. I'd love to see him perform his "Fatal Flute" set, and get some history on it. I allways wondered if that set was because of the Kung Fu TV series or not. I'd like to find out where it comes from. Anyone know?

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 08:07 AM
I would have liked it if they showed some traditional Chinese martial arts, but then, that's not what the show was about. It was about the blue power ranger, his dwindling career and some cool software that shows bones.

The rest was a mish mash of hollywood martial arts mojo jojo hojo lojo.

As good as the french chick going around trying to learn all the martial arts on the planet I guess, but with better special effects. :p

Vash
04-24-2005, 08:11 AM
It was nice to see . . . Karate

? I didn't see any.

Becca
04-24-2005, 08:14 AM
... It was about the blue power ranger, his dwindling career and some cool software that shows bones...

Which one? I didn't recognize any of them... :confused:

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Actually, the old okinanwan guy was doing Karate. Weren't you paying attention vash as the young buck bought a form to use in the local beauty pageant and martial arts finals in his local locality?

Becca-

Mike Chat (http://mths.metamora.k12.il.us/Activities/martial_arts/Mike%20Chat.htm) is the blue power ranger.

Vash
04-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Actually, the old okinanwan guy was doing Karate. Weren't you paying attention vash as the young buck bought a form to use in the local beauty pageant and martial arts finals in his local locality?

I haven't watched it since it premiered. I know, though, that American punk who "hates getting hit in the face" whilst wearing a full face protector . . . during a point-sparring tourney, wasn't doing karate. He was ****ing me off.

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
It's only one show, the same episode, over and over again until our heads pop.

Becca
04-24-2005, 08:38 AM
LIB! I don't think I'll tell my 9-year-old that. He'll insist on watching it every time it comes on...

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 08:46 AM
LIB! I don't think I'll tell my 9-year-old that. He'll insist on watching it every time it comes on...

lib? wtf does that mean? lol

think of it this way, if it's only shown once every 6 months, then your 9 year old can watch it twice a year. By the time he's 11, he shoulda had enough and moved on to bigger and better things. Like mastu...nevermind. :D

Becca
04-24-2005, 08:50 AM
MR mice.

MR not!

SMR. CM EDBD feet?

ILB! MR mice!

:eek: :D

Royal Dragon
04-24-2005, 09:19 AM
I have to say, on the Joko Kai segment, that girl who took the "Masters" test really ****ed me off when she said "Joko Kai is like regular martial arts, only up a few notches (Or levels, or whatever she said)". Her attitude of blatent superiorty just rubbed me the wrong way.

In another segment, the guy talking about how he gets all excited when he sees more blood from sticking opponents with his little spinnie poker thingie's irked me too.

Vash
04-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Indeed.

The only blood he's ever seen was when he cut himself shaving that too-oval head of his.

Royal Dragon
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah, I know, what a total ****!! I know people who have shed blood in Iraq, and the last thing they are is proud, or happy about it. If anything, it's a burning sore on thier souls that they have difficulty living with. It's certianly not something they brag about, and get all extatic over, let alone like that knob was.

Kristoffer
04-24-2005, 02:27 PM
I wish I lived in the states where all these freaks are. How do you resist the urge to fight these people?

Royal Dragon
04-24-2005, 02:42 PM
We go to jail...often even if it's self defense.

norther practitioner
04-24-2005, 02:46 PM
It's on.....

again.

IronFist
04-24-2005, 03:06 PM
I just saw the last 15 minutes of it. That TKD guy made a good point when he said (paraphrased) "it's easy when you're watching people fighting to say 'oh, why doesn't he just do this instead of that,' but when you're actually in the ring, it's completely different."

That's a good point. Don't be an armchair quarterback (even tho I'm guilty of that, too). :D

SAAMAG
04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Funny thing about that statement is this....none of them have truly fought. You can see it in their movements, and Chat even said himself he's never been in a fight. Doesn't matter how many tourney's you've been in playing tag with foam mitts....they don't have the slightest clue of real fighting.

Almost everyone in that show was from the tournement circuit or movie scene. None of them true fighters....2500lb kick is only good if you can hit a resisting opponent whose ACTUALLY trying to hit/pummel you.

And when Chon was talking about the blood on the pokers....that was pretty funny...he talked as if he's had deadly kung fu battles before. Whatever.

The "karate" that you saw was mostly acrobatic martial arts, not true karate. It takes the basic kicks and punches you would see in almost any striking art, and the mixes it with power ranger stances and flips. Nothing more.

Gung fu guys do it...karate guys do it....TKD guys do it....it all comes out looking the same.

gwa sow
04-24-2005, 04:04 PM
i've heard second hand from someone that is good friends with a lot of people from the wah lum school.(students and masters) the people at wah lum didn't have any impressive things to say about the mortal kombat wanny be who tried the plumb flower poles. sorry for vagueness but dont wanna get anyone in trouble. so i'll open my mouth. HE SUCKS.

Vash
04-24-2005, 04:39 PM
The "karate" that you saw was mostly acrobatic martial arts, not true karate. It takes the basic kicks and punches you would see in almost any striking art, and the mixes it with power ranger stances and flips. Nothing more.

Gung fu guys do it...karate guys do it....TKD guys do it....it all comes out looking the same.

Indeed. I've seen and felt real karate. That ain't it. That was not kung fu, karate, MMA, or anything worth a ****.

With regards to the powerful kick . . . throw in a resisting opponent and don't give him the chance to slide with it, then it is not going to happen. I can have the bottom of the heavy bag bounce off the bar it's hanging from if I hit it perfect with a sliding side kick, doesn't mean I can get anywhere near that power from leg's length against someone trying to fug me up.

^hooray for run-on sentences^

CaptinPickAxe
04-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Ahh....

Once again the dreaded XMA surfaces again. Mike Chat is the only dude that makes Ashida Kim look like he really knows what he's talking about. But then again can you really belive a Power Ranger?

Royal Dragon
04-24-2005, 04:49 PM
But he won all those competitions!!!! :p

IronFist
04-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Ahh....

Mike Chat is the only dude that makes Ashida Kim look like he really knows what he's talking about.

Oh geez. Ouch. Oh. A verbal kick in the balls if ever there was one.

Jhapa
04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
I have to say, on the Joko Kai segment, that girl who took the "Masters" test really ****ed me off when she said "Joko Kai is like regular martial arts, only up a few notches (Or levels, or whatever she said)". Her attitude of blatent superiorty just rubbed me the wrong way.

she also passes out during the exam.

anyway, what do you guys think about combat ki? isn't combat ki just another name for iron training.

Royal Dragon
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
I think it's fake. Real Iron Vest does not require such insane tensing to work.

Jhapa
04-24-2005, 07:36 PM
judo kai
thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36404)

David Jamieson
04-24-2005, 08:02 PM
crazy bald guy with the piercers was worth watching the whole show for. LOL

Lew musta got some good bank for his involvement. :p

Apparently, that guy goes crazy when he sees blood! Then he feels a little sick and puts a bandaid on it. :D

Becca
04-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Don't know that I agree with that, YKW. I know a few who practice this sort of extreme conditioning that are very good fighters. The idea has merit. But you can't just do extreme condioning and think it will save you. Give you a very powerful tool, yes. First off, you know that you can take it as well as how to take it, and still be funtional. Second is the psych value. If the guy you are fighting hits you with something that has dropped bigger, more experienced fighters, he may back off, or atleast become more causious. Of course, that won't get you too far if you can't fight in the first place... :o :)

wdl
04-24-2005, 11:04 PM
*sigh*, I hate that show.

-Will

Becca
04-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Aperently Fit TV (subsady of Discovery) is joining theMartial Arts shows (http://fittv.discovery.com/schedule/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=23031&gid=12688&channel=FIT) band wagon, too.

this one was not too bad, though.

Ford Prefect
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
I remember when this show initially aired, that white dude who was trying to make a come back caught A LOT of heat from other MA's on the XMA message board. He said he knows that XMA isn't realistic and neither is point fighting, but he trains the Tony Blauer SPEAR system for self defense and also does some grappling. He's not totally deluded. He could just be a victim of the selective edit...

PangQuan
04-25-2005, 09:40 AM
I remember an article in an issue of black belt mag, I think it was that same white dude. (dont remember the name) basically what he said was that they asked him to do the whole XMA thing, he agreed but really when it comes down to it, he knows its not real MA and he always ends up going back to the TMA.

Just sumtin i read one time.