PDA

View Full Version : CLF Umbrella Form???

yutyeesam
04-25-2005, 09:03 AM
So I was just recently rereading Jane Hallender's "The Complete Guide to Kung-Fu Fighting Styles" book, and she mentioned the array of weapons in CLF, including the umbrella.

And now that I think of it, in that Choy Lay Fut movie that GM Lee Koon Hung was in and choreographed, Jeong Yim at the end had an umbrella that he was fighting with.

So obviously you can translate staff, spear, and sword techniques into the umbrella, I'm just wondering if there was actually a form adapted/created for it specifically.

Thanks,

sean_stonehart
04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
There's one taught at our Futsan HQ. There's a pic or two of a guy at Futsan performing that set on their website.

CLFNole
04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I think the CLF umbrella form seen a lot these days comes from Sifu Choy Kwong Yuen. He is quite involved with the whole Futsan thing so I think it may be the same form.

The Lee Koon Hung lineage does not have an umbrella form, which doesn't bother me at all.

Peace.

hungsingclf
04-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Actually, Ho, Cherk Wah is kinda the top guy in Futsan, he just prefers not to be out in public. Also Leung Wai Wing is quite active in promoting the school at this time. Alot of sifus at the Futsan Hung Sing Gwoon. I look forward to visiting there sometime soon. from what my sifu has told me they have quite a few rare weapons their.

Ben Gash
04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
My CLF school has an umbrella against staff form, and my Hung School has an umbrella form.

Troy Dunwood
04-25-2005, 04:11 PM
I learned the "Tit Yu San" Iron Umbrella set from my other CLF Sifu Choy Siu Ming who learned from Chan Leung (no relation to Chan family) who learned it from Law Kay, it is of the practical weapons being that it can be carried anywhere and anytime, movements consist of: Sot, Sow, Peet, Etc..., based upon movements taken from the staff, spear, broadsword and straightsword.

CLFNole
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
The cane form seen in the Lee Koon Hung branch is known as Dat Mo Gwai Jeurng and it is not a CLF form but rather Buk Sil Lum (Northen Shaolin). The form comes from Sifu's brother, Li Chun Hung who was a student of Yim Sheung Mo.

Peace.

yutyeesam
05-05-2005, 10:31 AM
CLF Nole/Anyone -
What about the double hook sword form? That's not a CLF "original form" is it?
I'd be curious to know which forms were the add-ons, such as the 3 Section Staff form that GM LKH learned from Shek Kin.

I personally think it is great that he trained with and learned stuff from others to incorporate into his curriculum.

Unrelated questions:
I only know a few key forms in this lineage. I have yet to see a movement called something like Chaat Fah. It's like a combination of Jeet Sao and Jaap Kiu at the same time (like, an open hand down block combined with an open hand inside-chest-block). Doc Fai's forms have it, and so do other lineages. Do we have this movement in any of our forms? It's not in our Sup Jee Kau Da.

Also, do any of our forms have single handed Lam Choys? We have the Seung Lam Choy at the end of Sup Jee, but I haven't seen it done as a single. I ask, b/c in the Ng Family's lineage, the Siu Mui Fah and Lin Wan Kune, has it multiple times. It's done with the left hand leading like a clear/grab (like a single handed Cheel Sau), followed by a right handed Lam Choy. I love the technique, and was just wondering if any of our forms have this (if I recall, they call this technique "Lok Gu", which I think means something like rolling barrell...I can't remember very well, it's been a lot of years).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for so many questions!

CLFNole
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
123:

As far as the double tiger hooks goes, sifu never taught it to anyone in the US. I have seen it performed on one occation by Sifu Lee Siu Ming of Ireland, who was a long time student of sifu. The form has a CLF look to it but I really don't know much about its origins. Remember not all of the sifus out there today that followed Lee Koon Hung learned all his sets. All of them followed sifu at different times and many followed him prior to when he followed his Sisuk So Gam Fook, who taught him a good amount of different sets.

Regarding chaat fah you are referring to our chun hay seen in Sup Gee and many others where the hands split low and high except we have fists clenched versus open hands. The techique is the same can be for a low block or high block. This is also seen in most of our bows usually done in conjunction with a cat stance.

As far as the single lam choy goes our set, Ping Jaang Keun has it.

Peace.