PDA

View Full Version : thinking of giving up

Crash
04-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I just wrote a really long post, but my session timed out and it was lost, so here's a paraphrased version.

I've been moving around alot the past 7 years, and have had trouble finding a good CMA school. I also haven't trained regularly in a year. I left the school I was at because they started focusing almost entirely on competitions at the expense of other elements. I fact is, over the last 7 years, I haven't been fond of any of the schools that I've come across (and there haven't been that many). Some schools focus way too much on street fighting. Other schools focus too much on the "spiritual" elements (one was essentially a bunch of yuppies doing mostly yoga and some sloppy long fist forms). Then there are the franchise schools and the pseudo-school (like cardio-karate, etc.). Now, I have to move to South Bend, Indiana for about 3 years. I did a net search and yellow pages search for schools in the area, and it's not looking any better. I've found no CMA schools, a bunch of TKD schools (not interested), a couple franchises, one uber-Christian karate school, etc. I plan to hit the pavement when I get there, but I seriously doubt I'm going to find a well-balanced CMA school, or even a well-balanced school of any style in the middle of nowhere in Indiana.

At this point, my training is limited to KF magazine and videos from MA-mart. Perhaps I'm learning, but without anyone there to correct my mistakes, I'm probably doing more harm than good. Without an instructor to guide me, I doubt I'm really learning anything. So, long story short, I'm thinking of giving up. I really don't see any other options at this point. Any advice?

Samurai Jack
04-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Why do you insist on training CMA only?

Liokault
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
You may as well give up. MY teacher is the only one teaching REAL CMA and hes not in Indiana.

WinterPalm
04-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Keep searching man. If Kung Fu is what you want, then you will surely find it. However, like that guy above said, if you can't find some good Kung Fu why not search for something else? If Kung Fu is really what you want to train in, then you will find a good Sifu. I spent some time sifting through garbage until I found some gold, you keep searching and I gurantee you will find something better than what you imagined.

If that doesn't motivate you, hit Chinatown and starting asking around, you're bound to find something good.

Crash
04-28-2005, 04:57 AM
I don't insist on CMA, though I prefer it to other styles. I wouldn't mind training in Aikido, Hapkido, or Kempo, as long as the school is well balanced.

If that doesn't motivate you, hit Chinatown and starting asking around, you're bound to find something good.

Um, where I'm going, there is no Chinatown. In fact, according to the census data, I don't even think there are Chinese people.

Mikkyou
04-28-2005, 05:09 AM
Don't give up simply because you can not find a school at this moment.
Train what you know maybe invite a friend to be your partner it will give you something to play with for a while.Keep in mind sometimes you have to travel a good distance to find a good school but if good schools were always around the corner it would take out all the hard work of going to a good schools.
keep in mind for every 30bad schools there is one good school.
As far as learning from magazines and video tapes heres some suggestions
practice with 3 people have one person hold the magazine while the other 2 try the technqiue see where you had problems have the person with the magazine correct you.With video tapes try doing the 4 things from it with your partner
sometimes you can video tape yourself sent it to a school of that style and have them evaulate what your doing right or wrong I am sure if you explain your situation they may be happy to help you.

fa_jing
04-28-2005, 10:05 AM
It won't kill you to give it up. :)

PangQuan
04-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Look at it like this. You may need a teacher to learn that specific style to a T.

but did Miyamoto Musashi need a life long master to learn to fence? Nope, he developed his own style, based on actual fighting of course, but he did TONS of solo practice.

He in essence developed his style off of two fights, one at the age of 13 and one at the age of 16, he solo practiced for 3 years after each fight before he left his village in search of more opponents. He practiced his entire childhood before his first duel. Of course his style was refined after years and years of killing but you get the point...

you could go this route, take what you know, and develop it to meet your personal needs.

Maybe go to the local schools off and on for a month or so each just to get some people to people work. make some sparring buddies. go to the schools in your area every now and then, when you want some more stuff.

you have 7 years experience, use it. You will not be starting from scratch, you know what you did not like from your previous schools, so you must know what you did like. You are at a point where you should remove all that you feel is wasted time, hold onto what you know and enjoy, work with it and develop it into more than what it currently is.

The seed has been planted, all you now must do is nurture that, and help it grow. What is developed will be very personalized.

I practice Kenjutsu regularly, yet I have never had an actual Kenjutsu master. At the same time, I can handle a bokken pretty well. I sparr regularly with a friend of mine, and learn that way. When you get hit hard, you will remember what, why, and how it happened.

Use life as your teacher, and comfort as your goal. Develop your skill at your own pace and practice as much as you want. There is not a high demand for melee warriors in this day and age, so take it as far as you want.

You dont need to quit just because you have no master.

Losttrak
04-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Well, if there are no Chinese people, you may need to settle for the TPKA.

Trailer Park Karate Association...

FngSaiYuk
04-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Ditto to PangQuan's post... You'll never know just who is working out at the local TKD & Karate places. You can be in the boonies and find someone who's been in the arts for several decades. Until you go around, check out the classes, explain what you're looking for, what you like and hang out a bit, basically network w/the people that do martial arts in the area, you won't know just what kinda of martial art talent is nearby.

FooFighter
04-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Crash,

I would encourage you to follow your bliss and to rethink about giving up. I would recommend that you keep on fighting the good fight. I personally believe there is a warrior in everyone and if you are attracted to martial arts, then you should listen to that inner warrior. I understand it is hard finding a good instructor and school to learn CMA, but I am sure if you look hard enough you will find it. I think when a person is unhappy about something, he or she should be creative and do something proactive about it. I suggest you start your own Rmax tribe in your own area and surround yourself with positive and like minded people. I personally invite you join the CST tribe if you are willing and open? Coach Scott Sonnon has been more than a mentor/coach. He has been a real friend to me. Please to go www.clubbell.tv and go to the forum section to learn more what CST and Rmax is all about. I promise you will find something interesting and you will have people helping you to achieve your martial arts goals. You are not alone.

Your friend,
Bao

SevenStar
04-28-2005, 10:02 PM
it sounds like you already have made up your mind... give up. If you wanted to continue, REALLY wanted to continue, you would, be it at a tkd school (it's giving you a place to train - bodies to work with) or long distance trips to the closest school of your liking once or twice a month, etc. where there is a will there is a way.

Vasquez
04-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Until you find a good school, keep practicing the forms you know and refresh your memory on pressure point charts.