PDA

View Full Version : If I was a young fighter....

Ray Pina
04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
So, the young girl I love is sleeping over and for some reason I was just thinking, if I was a young fighter today -- you'd be crazy not to be studying Mixed Martial Arts, or at least Brazillian Ju-Jitsu. I mean, even if they're not striking experts, all that grappling, all that resisting body against resisting body contact, all that time actualy physically competing .... I mean, if they get into duking it out on the streets ... they're just as tough as anyone, but give them an inch, clinch them for a second .... goodnight. I mean you'd be crazy not to be taking that. Unless if you found some Chinese guy who can throw it down, I mean really wrech **** with the best of them, and if it was diffferent, I guess maybe you could do that too and there could be some opportunity.

For some reason this though got me out of bed. I'm going back now.

Liokault
04-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Depends what you want to do.

If you want to compete in wushu then do wushu. If you wanna roll and compete in BJJ then take BJJ.

If you start thinking that taking either will make you invincable on the street your wrong.

Train MA for fun, and train the things you enjoy. If your worried about self defense carry a knife or go out less or somthing.

joedoe
04-27-2005, 07:44 PM
I thought it was illegal to sleep with young girls? :D

joedoe
04-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Seriously though, we have come back to that old chestnut. It is not what you train, but how you train it.

rogue
04-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Ray, you are a young fighter. And put that girl back in her stroller.

And one more thing, don't ever get out of bed, log on and post your thoughts if the woman you are with is over 27. She will stuff a sock in your mouth and beat you with a broom handle. Trust me on this.

Liokault
04-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Seriously though, we have come back to that old chestnut. It is not what you train, but how you train it.

Its not how you train it.

Its how honest you are about if.

If your playing wushu but are toiling under the belife that your a trained killer your just kidding your self. Do the wushu and enjoy it for what it is (ghay dancing :D ).

If you take BJJ and thai boxing and are toiling under the belife that your invinciable in the street your kidding your self just as much as the wushu guy. Take the BJJ and MT and enjoy it.

BibitClerus
04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
nothing like the taste of some welcoming juicy tender young *****
many refuse to admit it

joedoe
04-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Its not how you train it.

Its how honest you are about if.

If your playing wushu but are toiling under the belife that your a trained killer your just kidding your self. Do the wushu and enjoy it for what it is (ghay dancing :D ).

If you take BJJ and thai boxing and are toiling under the belife that your invinciable in the street your kidding your self just as much as the wushu guy. Take the BJJ and MT and enjoy it.

That is true - you cannot train hard in ballroom dancing and reasonably believe that you are a serious fighter. However if you train in a fighting art, and train realistically (and for the purposes of fighting) then it doesn't matter that much what art you are training in.

But I agree with your point - not everything you do has to be life and death.

Ray Pina
04-28-2005, 05:47 AM
don't ever get out of bed, log on and post your thoughts if the woman you are with is over 27. She will stuff a sock in your mouth and beat you with a broom handle. Trust me on this.

I just escaped ... she turned 26 in Feb. I'll be 31 on Monday.

MasterKiller
04-28-2005, 06:36 AM
I don't see why you can't go add BJJ to your training now. I'm 32, I have 7 years of straight-up long fist, and now I'm training with a group of GJJ guys in a MMA format. If you recognize the value of that skill-set, why not seek it out now?

The saddest words of tongue or pen are simply these: "It might have been."

Mr Punch
04-28-2005, 07:03 AM
The saddest words of tongue or pen are simply these: "It might have been."I thought it was "How did that get there?".

Ray Pina
04-28-2005, 08:00 AM
I don't see why you can't go add BJJ to your training now. "

When I thought my teacher wasn't backing me I considered it, this was like a year ago. Then I had a big jump in progress and understanding and saw where he was coming from and respect him for what he was doing.

Now, I feel like I have found a style that suits me and its new and I feel I have an opportunity to help bring it out. The style is working for me at all ranges and I don't ever want someone to say, "Well, he trained BJJ with me for 2 years, that's where he gets that from."

I respect those guys but I have a different view towards martial arts and training; a more traditional one. That won't always produce a fighter, but in the case of my coach its working out so far. And frankly, as I get older, I can't afford to train the other way. If I'm going to do it at this age this makes most sense for me.

Ray Pina
04-28-2005, 08:02 AM
I also have to say, a lot of these changes are stemming from me not following the UFC and such events for a long time.

When they first came out is when I started my hiatis from martial arts, when I got into HS football. I remember my brother-in-law renting them and me thinking they were boring because of all the ground stuff .... it escaped me at the time. I didn't apreciate it. If I saw it then, I probbaly would have checked it out because I was getting burnt out on Isshin-Ryu.

Life is kind of funny.

Losttrak
04-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Kung fu is good and all for the squabbles. However, nothing is a good substitute for grappling training. Everyone says they have an answer for the GnP, but until you train it... you wont know what that is.... BJJ has as many lil tricks to beat people on the ground as kung fu does when standing up. Only knowledge can protect you. Plus, man... BJJ is fun as HELL. Its like sticky hands or chi sao, but with the whole body. It takes quickness, flexibility, creativity, and all the things that make fighting fun. Plus, it is a natural thing for humans to grapple... hell we have been doing it since we were children. lol Anyways, if you think you are getting the itch to train some groundfighting, go for it man. With a good teacher, it is easily as rewarding as kung fu, and you wont ever have to wonder, "Could I handle a trained grappler?" You will BE one.

PangQuan
04-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Speaking of ground fighting and grappling, anyone know if there are any GuoQuan (sp), dog boxing schools in the Portland Oregon area?

That article in the latest KungFu TaiChi Magazine, got me interested in that style. The more I have been thinking about it the more I want to learn some.

red5angel
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
so your kungfu works for you at all ranges, but you'd study something else if you were younger?

Ray Pina
04-28-2005, 12:53 PM
BJJ is fun as HELL. Its like sticky hands or chi sao, but with the whole body. It takes quickness, flexibility, creativity, and all the things that make fighting fun. Plus, it is a natural thing for humans to grapple... hell we have been doing it since we were children. lol Anyways, if you think you are getting the itch to train some groundfighting, go for it man. With a good teacher, it is easily as rewarding as kung fu, and you wont ever have to wonder, "Could I handle a trained grappler?" You will BE one.

You're right. I've been focusing on this area. I played with a guy who won advanced no gi grapplers' quest a few weeks ago .... I learned a lot there. Still trying to figure out how to post footage from iMovie. Anyone know.

But you're right. It's amazing how close it feels to chi sau. And about how many **** tricks you guys have. I watch the footage and am just like, "how the hell did that guy do that."

The thing that still gets me is how things can go from great to terrible in a second ..... fancy editing helps though ;)

Ray Pina
04-28-2005, 12:54 PM
so your kungfu works for you at all ranges, but you'd study something else if you were younger?

zzzzzwwwwwoooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhhh ........ (as the theme goes over Red's head)

MasterKiller
04-28-2005, 12:58 PM
You're right. I've been focusing on this area. I played with a guy who won advanced no gi grapplers' quest a few weeks ago .... I learned a lot there. Still trying to figure out how to post footage from iMovie. Anyone know.

Export as a quicktime movie and post on one of the free download sites? Don't you get some free server space from mac.com?

red5angel
04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
zzzzzwwwwwoooooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhhh ........ (as the theme goes over Red's head)

:rolleyes:

no ray the fact that it's yet another in the ling line of threads for you to talk about how you "got it" didn't pass over my head. What passed over my head was the fact that you would be doing other arts if you were "young" enough, but now your art covers it all. Make some sense out of it maybe?

rogue
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Watch it Red or we'll dig up all of your posts fawning over Sifu Carl. :p

red5angel
04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Watch it Red or we'll dig up all of your posts fawning over Sifu Carl. :p

go ahead, at some point I admitted my mistake ;)

SevenStar
04-28-2005, 09:11 PM
And frankly, as I get older, I can't afford to train the other way. If I'm going to do it at this age this makes most sense for me.

What is it about our training that you think you're too old for? one of the brown belts at my club is 39 and consistently places nationally...

rogue
04-28-2005, 09:11 PM
BTW, what was your beef with Carl?

black and blue
04-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Carl has some clips up on the Wing Chun sparring thread in the Wing Chun forum... get from it what you will. I think he sucks.

Losttrak
04-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Black and Blue, is it true that Budapest was actually two cities at once time, Buda and Pest. At some point they were consolidated, right?

red5angel
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Black and Blue, is it true that Budapest was actually two cities at once time, Buda and Pest. At some point they were consolidated, right?

Yes......(fukking minium message requirements)

SevenStar
04-29-2005, 11:11 AM
yes

Ray Pina
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
What is it about our training that you think you're too old for? one of the brown belts at my club is 39 and consistently places nationally...

It's not necessairly the training, it's the "can I compete with the much younger guy who is training the same way?"

Late 30's isn't so bad. But can the 200lbs 47 year old train the way you train and handle the 200lbs 21 year old? I mean, if you're training and doing the same thing the better attributed guy should win.

But if you utilize a different strategy, take a different aproach, try to solve the problems differently, maybe you can win .... though the odds are still stacked against you.

Honestly, if I haven't met my current coach/teacher, I would probbaly be training at the Gracie acedamy right now or at least with the Seirra brothers out here. But then again, if I didn't meet my teacher I might not be this interested in real fighting so it's a catch 22.

What I wanted to say was, I highly respect these guys. They aren't fooling around. And all these posts of "can they fight on the street" are kind of rediculous .... they're training to fight the well-trained guy. I would think that leaves them in pretty good standing on the street. It's not like these guys are panzies, can't afford a shot here and there, don't have the finish instinct in them, etc.

SevenStar
04-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Late 30's isn't so bad. But can the 200lbs 47 year old train the way you train and handle the 200lbs 21 year old? I mean, if you're training and doing the same thing the better attributed guy should win.

But if you utilize a different strategy, take a different aproach, try to solve the problems differently, maybe you can win .... though the odds are still stacked against you.

depends on who he is fighting. against a non trained guy? yeah, he'd be fine. However, he'd catch hell in the ring. And I think that's what everyone looks at. When a fighter turns 50, he may not be able to take an equally skilled guy that is half his age, but he could still dust a lesser skilled one that's half his age.

red5angel
04-29-2005, 01:07 PM
yes

WTF?!....damm!t, still to short

SevenStar
04-29-2005, 01:56 PM
heh.

red5angel
04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
:mad: .............

BibitClerus
04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
hey Ray you just making excuses
you are like that kid that says he will get to a gym next week everytime
:p

you disgust me :p

norther practitioner
04-29-2005, 02:50 PM
heh.

bring ya down another notch in the street cred just isn't my job, but my hobby as well.... ;)

edited to protect the secret ;)

PangQuan
04-29-2005, 03:33 PM
WTF?!....damm!t, still to short

thats what you wife said. I hear they make pills that can help with your "little" problem though.

black and blue
04-30-2005, 02:24 AM
Better to say two towns back then... though don't tell that to a Hungarian. ;)

Great city - everyone here should come visit and then I also get more sparring partners! hehehe.

Everyone except Red5, as Breakdancing is not permitted in the parks (just kidding).