PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 50 weapon samples...

GeneChing
04-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I just got through examining nearly 50 weapon samples (mostly swords) from vendors and forges across China. It's very interesting to see the latest developments. Perhaps we'll be ready for another sword special (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kf2001226.html) sooner than I thought. We'll probably only carry a few, but evaluating samples is lot of fun. I love swords so it's kind of a perk. There's a few beauts, including two fascinating pattern forged blades done in an antique style with bronze fittings (surprisingly nice balance) and a dao that's exactly what I've been looking for to answer any future home invasions. Of course, we have to look at pricing, availability, etc. then get our shipments in, but they are some nice ones that we will certainly add to MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.com).

YuanZhideDiZhen
04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
i've seen a lot of inexpensive material going for prices of comparably superior metals and alloys...i was wondering if you've considered someplace like Ontario for manufacturing worthy replicas? everything of their ag tools i've bought is vastly superior to any of the forged replicas with differential temper. I have a nan dao sized butcher knife in the falcion pattern that cleaved a 5" diameter upright log last fall. the wood was still hard and greenish. i tried the same feat with an older hanwei thing 7 inches longer but couldn't get it to even break the wood. the ontario metal cost 15 bucks. 20 with shipping. i keep imagining a pu dao made of this stuff... or a bagua 2 handed dao...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
05-02-2005, 09:21 AM
You know, we're open to any vendors that can keep us in good consistent supply at a price that the market can hold. I've yet to see any product from Ontario. If you could direct me to a website or something, we're always happy to look. Do they actually make martial arts weapons or just ag? It's probably not financially viable from them to move from ag to martial arts weapons.

Speaking of Hanwei, in this shipment were the first Hanwei knock offs that I've seen. Ironically, it was a version of the Adam Hsu designed jian guards (http://www.martialartsmart.net/452008.html), something we covered in that aforementioned sword special (and caused a bit of controversy here on the forum). We got two of the knock offs - they were really bad. The blade was awful, the pommel was a blocky imitation, and it was all askew. Although handguard itself was good - thicker than Hanwei's original. Unfortunately they had set a huge plastic rhinestone in place of the yin yang that was simply hideous. That could have been easily replaced. A customer walked through the warehouse while I was examining the blades and commented that they really liked the rhinestone. There's no accounting for taste, I suppose. Anyway, we're not going to carry those...

YuanZhideDiZhen
05-02-2005, 10:05 AM
gene: the website is www.ontarioknife.com

sales@ontarioknife.com

1-800-222-5233

they have a sword line but they keep its name guarded. by metal characteristics quality on the market i think it's united cutlery or windlass steel: similar steel for swords (1050-c), made in usa. and inexpensive.

the 14" butcher, which is what i used, is 1095 high carbon steel with a temper at 56-58 rockwell. the blade is only .085" thick this kind of metal in this thickness is superior, imo, to the 1050 used for the united cutlery or windlass products. longer tools would need to be thicker of course.

the problem with thickness is that the thicker the blade becomes the force is consumed in trying to split apart the material being hit than in penetrating it. the thickest i would go for a full length tanged pudao or similar sized object is .125" with a complete temper of 54-56. cost of curse is a matter of number of units produced with the price break coming in somewhere between 1500-1800 units at about 70 each. 11.5 times that volume for half the cost per item.

GeneChing
05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Looks very practical - I like that. Too bad they don't do anything Chinese. MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.com) doesn't really carry non-martial knives and such and we've had no success with the biggest market in blades - fantasy swords. In a way, I'm happy about that, even though we lose a huge chunk of the market.

YuanZhideDiZhen
05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
unfortunately the chinese weapons they do offer under the other stamps have exclusive distribution rights. you'd probably have to come upwith something significantly different enough to not cause a conflict. unique style gear is about the only avenue i can see for a production run in the better metal. (**** i wish i was one of thier salesmen!)

YuanZhideDiZhen
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM
after looking through your catalog i thought i'd have a hard time competing for market share based on the 'good enough' principle.

i think my monk's spade came from dragonwell via martial arts mart. it sharpened nicely when i took the rust off last fall... :rolleyes: .