PDA

View Full Version : Tiger vs. Crocodile (vid)

IronFist
04-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Some NWS ads at the top of the page maybe.

Crazy vid, tho. I didn't know they'd ever meet in real life.

Here (http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=4795)

Here's another one I found:

Monkey vs two baby tigers (lions?) (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/apetiger.html). The webpage says lions but they look like tigers to me. Haha those tigers are like "wtf?"

Can any of you that speak Chinese translate what they're saying or what is written there? Thanks.

Kristoffer
04-30-2005, 03:09 AM
crap I don't get the vid to start

Mikkyou
04-30-2005, 05:04 AM
That was really interesting watching the Tiger ride the Crocodile then killing him.

Dim Wit Mak
04-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Dang. That was fascinating. :)

cerebus
04-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Well, DID the tiger kill the croc? It looked kind of inconclusive. You could see that at first the tiger was like "WTF?" and wondering how the heck to chew on this armor-plated thing. But, yeah, I guess he finally got it by the throat so he must've killed it. That really is interesting.

Mr Punch
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
My money'd have been on the croc...

can't understand why the croc wasn't more mobile. They can run at 30 mph over very short distances, and their cornering isn't bad either.

cerebus
04-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah, but a tiger is SO dam maneuverable, he's like liquid fur with claws! :D

bigdoing
04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Looks like another peice of conclusive evidence to the MMA crowd that knowing some grong work comes in handy. The Tiger clearly back mounted the croc, then applied a rear naked choke on the lizard, another victory for the jiu-jitsu crowd.

Akhilleus
04-30-2005, 08:33 PM
LOL...neat vid...I wish they had gotten a little bit better footage but how close can you really get to something like that? Also that dude has a cool accent when he says "tiger".

cerebus
04-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, dude. You don't want the tiger to think you're standing there waiting to take on the winner! :eek: :D

Liokault
05-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Tigers are by far the coolest beasty on this planet (well for now as they wont last much longer), but I would like to see spill a polar bears beer!

lotus storm
05-01-2005, 06:32 PM
It would be a totally different story if the croc were in water (and could roll) instead of on land. In fact if it'd been in or near enough to water the tiger probably wouldn't have messed with it at all.

Cool show though.

Starchaser107
05-01-2005, 06:45 PM
If steve Irwin and Bubba can wrestle or wrassle in bubba's case with crocodiles and subdue them Why can't a ferocious tiger?
Big Cats Rule!
and bjjers stop trying to claim that fu jow pai is juijutsu. The animal was clearly using chinese joint locking and submission to subdue his opponent.

joedoe
05-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Crocs don't have good endurance. I remember asking an expert once about how a croc would go against a shark, and they said in reality they would probably leave each other alone, but if they fought it would depend. If the croc was successful with landing abite early, then it would probably win. Otherwise the shark has better endurance and would eventually win.

Liokault
05-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Dont great white sharks off OZ eat salt water crocs (the worst biggest kind)?

PangQuan
05-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Tigers can hunt and kill just as effectively in water as they can on land.

They are the only cat that actually likes to be in water. Thus the huge paws.

Tigers own pretty much any other preditor.

except gigantic bears and sharks.

oh and humans, humans rule all.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
reptiles are stupid and most often seem to rely on the suprise attack to kill its prey. they don't seem to do nearly as well when an animal of any sort knows its actually there. even mice who are smart enough to know my ball python is actually wanting to kill it live a lot longer. if they werent in his cage he'd be a hungery snake that day.

i think sharks and especially tigers have the upper hand simply because they are smarter. im not sure what the intelligence level of a shark is, but i know dolphins and whales are pretty intelligent so im guessing they are well above reptiles.

PangQuan
05-02-2005, 12:58 PM
sharks are not too smart but their biological design is very good. Hammer heads are noted to be of the most effecient killers in nature. They can see in every direction due to their eye placement.

Mammals out brain any other type of life, well some birds come up there with us but thats about it.

Starchaser107
05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
"im not sure what the intelligence level of a shark is, but i know dolphins and whales are pretty intelligent so im guessing they are well above reptiles."

Dolphins and Whales are mammals
a Shark is a fish.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
yeah i guess thats true isnt it.

Liokault
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Why are we talking about intelligence in animals? How bright is a tiger? How smart does it need to be?

How much intelligence does it take to curl up in a pile of leaves and wait for 3 days in a seemingly semi comatose state to strike a small hyper aware target?

Animals are as intelligent as they need to be. My cat for example, can afford to forget that I fed it right before I went to bed, and that it has half a bowl left, because it has both the time and the energy to spend 15 minuets waking me up at 4am so that I can pick it up and walk it the 14 feet to its food bowl!

ghost5
05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Cool clips. The tiger and croc was good but the monkey beatin' on the poor tiger cubs was great. :D

joedoe
05-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Dont great white sharks off OZ eat salt water crocs (the worst biggest kind)?

That is a myth we perpetuate to keep Poms away :D.

Seriously, that is a myth. I have told a similar story to a tourist who was about to go scuba diving, but other than that I don't think there are any recorded cases. The marine biologist I spoke to who worked on the Barrier Reef said that as two predators they would probably just leave each other alone.

lotus storm
05-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Tigers can hunt and kill just as effectively in water as they can on land.

Just as effectively? You must be kidding. Or do you have some fact to back this up? Because they can swim, they are "Just as effective" at hunting and killing in the water as on land?

Very few creatures succeed against a crocodile in the water: they begin their powerful roll and drag opponent underwater until they can't breathe; and the powerful tail whip and bite.

IronFist
05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Dolphins and Whales are mammals
a Shark is a fish.

Beat me to it.

IronFist
05-02-2005, 05:37 PM
sharks are not too smart but their biological design is very good. Hammer heads are noted to be of the most effecient killers in nature. They can see in every direction due to their eye placement.

Mammals out brain any other type of life, well some birds come up there with us but thats about it.

Usually predators have eyes in the front to see depth and what's in front of them for attacking, and prey have eyes on the side. But a hammerhead is a predator with eyes on the side, right? Or are they still pointed forward?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2005, 09:41 PM
im pretty sure they are still pointing forward, but im obviously not even able to draw upon the things i do know so what i think probably isnt worth much :).

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000
Subject: Sam's Hammerhead Report

Dear Sam,
I am in second grade, and I have to write a report on any animal. I have chosen the Hammerhead, and I went online to see what I could find out about them. My Yahooligan search led me to your report. I printed it, and plan to include it in my bibliography. You did a good job on your drawing, Sam. The only thing I have found, so far, that is different from your report is I have a map on my Wildlife Factfile Card that says Hammerheads swim in ALL ocean areas, except those closest to the poles, where it is too cold for them. Yours is much more specific, so I am wondering if yours shows where they are USUALLY found.

I go to Sea World all the time, and they have a lot of Hammerheads there.

They also have these little windows where you can watch a shark baby growing inside its sac, in all the different stages. When I was little, my mom thought it was fake, somehow. But then we asked, and they told us they are REAL baby sharks developing at all those stages. It's pretty cool. I also got to touch a shark and a ray at the aquarium in Corpus Christi last year.

Maybe you can come to Texas someday and visit our neat places. Our spring break is in two weeks. We didn't really have any winter here this year. It is already hot here again. That's good for me, because I swim all year round. This year, I was the fastest eight-year-old in the south half of Texas. I have had to work really hard to get strong again after I broke my tibia BADLY - like 4 and 1/2 inches diagonally straight down - while I was skiing in Taos. I limped for almost nine months and I had to wear FIVE different casts. I am getting strong again, I think. I also play baseball and piano. My favorite Nintendo game is Zelda and my favorite Gameboy game is Pokemon red. My favorite song I play on piano is Castle in the Clouds. My mom says I have written enough now, so I am going to do spellcheck and then send this to you. You did a good job on your report. I hope you enjoy the rest of your school year, and your summer!

Your friend,
Taylor, in Austin, Texas

so there you go.

Mo Lung
05-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Judging by this pic, I'd say they could only see sideways. Where's the evidence about them being the best predators? They're pretty lame as sharks go I always thought....

Liokault
05-03-2005, 04:10 AM
As I understand it the hammerhead sharks are even more sensative to bio electrical energy than other sharks, which is saying alot. So although no one really understands why they have a "hammer" shaped head there is a good theory that sight is a secondary sense for then and the electrical sense is the primary.

So there you go a shark that uses chi against you :eek:

Lowlynobody
05-04-2005, 04:55 AM
As far as I'm aware Hammer Head Sharks are super sensative to bio electrical energy which is why its very hard for divers to get close. I think the only way to get close is by controling the air bubles from your gear or something.

hasayfu
05-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Why are we talking about intelligence in animals? How bright is a tiger? How smart does it need to be?

Animals are as intelligent as they need to be. My cat for example, can afford to forget that I fed it right before I went to bed, and that it has half a bowl left, because it has both the time and the energy to spend 15 minuets waking me up at 4am so that I can pick it up and walk it the 14 feet to its food bowl!

I have no idea how smart or not tigers are but if you assume the Garfield mentality for your cat, the fact that it can get you up at 4am and CARRY it 14 feet like royalty to a meal is pretty darn smart. :D

Nice vid.