PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay to be a good fighter?

JohnnyMnemonic
05-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Not money.

What if you had to become an animal to become a good figher? A person no one wanted to be around because you were so aggressive and violent? Because your mere presence made those around you feel physically threatened?

What if you had to become evil? What if you had to frighten everyone who came in contact with you because they could tell that you were evil? What if instead of being good in a fight, you enjoyed fighting because you enjoyed hurting people and enjoyed causing pain?

Would it be worth taking a beating from the evil or animalistic guys once in a while in order to remain a human being? Or would it be better to throw in the towel and become evil or an animal so that you can be one of the guys on top?

joedoe
05-01-2005, 10:02 PM
If you give away your humanity, then you have nothing.

cerebus
05-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm a good fighter. I didn't have to do any such thing. Just train hard, spar hard, compete from time to time to test yourself and keep improving. Simple. Not easy, but simple. ;)

Kristoffer
05-02-2005, 02:47 AM
Well just because you become an animal and develop an aggressive fighting mindset wouldn't have to take away you're humanic side when not fighting. Also I don't think you have to be either violent or 'non human' to be a good fighter.

Reggie1
05-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Not money.

What if you had to become an animal to become a good figher? A person no one wanted to be around because you were so aggressive and violent? Because your mere presence made those around you feel physically threatened?

What if you had to become evil? What if you had to frighten everyone who came in contact with you because they could tell that you were evil? What if instead of being good in a fight, you enjoyed fighting because you enjoyed hurting people and enjoyed causing pain?

Would it be worth taking a beating from the evil or animalistic guys once in a while in order to remain a human being? Or would it be better to throw in the towel and become evil or an animal so that you can be one of the guys on top?

I hope nobody answers 'yes' to this, but I'm sure a few people will.

Ray Pina
05-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Interesting topic. I was thinking about this yesterday.

I got into my first outside martial arts altercation in years two weeks ago.... KOed a semi-friend at a bar (long story, but he had it coming and through a full punch at me).

Anyway, I think the timing was bad for this kid because I was realy focused for a fight I was having with a big guy and training hard and I just incorporated a new training that gets that animal side of me going ..... I fly fish and use a pointed rock to take the fish's head off before gutting them. Two clean shots and its off. It has allowed me to tap into something.

Anyway, on average I'm very easy going, happy go lucky typical surfer dude kind of guy. But now, when I fight, I don't become enraged but have this new emotion in me that drives me to bash where before I would hit and disengage.

I now have a finishing attitude.

I guess the first part is to see it. And I've been picking up the banjo and painting now and again to just balance it out. I never want to be an *******. Actually, I pride myself on the way my mother raised me, to be a kind kid.

SPJ
05-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Cultivation of a just mindset or balanced viewpoints of things in life is just important as the fighting skills.

Aggression may be in your intent, however, your mindset has to be focused and calm.

While you are surfing or sailing, you may not be more aggressive than the waves or the weather. You still your mind or you need most of your senses to steer right in the wildest storm or hugest waves.

Inspired by this thread, I started the Dao or Do of your styles thread.

The other thread about completeness of your style also touches the subject of the mind and body beyond wholeness of techniques, ranges, standup and ground etc.

The samurai uses Zen meditation to calm their minds for life and fighting.

The question is that do you need to have a still or calm mind to sail in a stormy sea?

Epinephrine rush or fight or flight response may help but only for a short while.

:confused:

PangQuan
05-02-2005, 10:20 AM
I would pay exactly what I pay now to my Sifu for tuition.