PDA

View Full Version : The Dao or Do of your styles

SPJ
05-02-2005, 07:05 AM
In the old time, each school or style of CMA has its own life philosophy and code of ethics. Certain moral things are cultivated along with fighting skills. Certain things are forbidden such as drinking liquor and what not. If you break the codes, there will be punishment up to suspension or being kicked out.

In modern time, it is not possible to instill or enforce a code of ethics.

But some common binding rules would be possible.

So does your teacher talk of the rules, code of ethics, or Dao or Do of your styles?

In CMA schools, there are usually 4-character catchy words engraved on a wooden plate and hanging on the ceilling or on the wall.

Such as Zhong Xiao Xin Yi or Loyalty (to your family, country) Piety (to your parents and ancestors) Faithfulness (to your words and promises) Just (uphold the common justice or fairness) etc.

Is there any catchy word in your style or school?

:D

SPJ
05-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Passing along the code of ethics or Wu De is as much important as the fighting skills.

Sometimes, if your ethics are not good, there will be limited or no learning of the styles of fighting methods.

Just to bring out the fact that it was the way in the old time.

Because the students represent or carry the names of the styles.

Most important of all, all the learnings are about how to be a just men. If you do not have a just mind, then your fighting skills will not be used to uphold the justice but the other way around.

:D

red5angel
05-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Capoeira has a sort of code I guess. Now a days, like with all things, the code isn't as firmly passed on but back in the day it was about a tribal like bonding. You stuck close to your fellow capoeiristas and anyone else was a potential rival. Malicia is common as well. The Capoeirista is a trickster and should be streetwise. The old skool capoeirista didn't want to fight fair he wanted to fight dirty, and he wanted to win. In the Roda it was ok to show off, and as a matter of fact it was half the point!

Mikkyou
05-02-2005, 08:24 AM
So does your teacher talk of the rules, code of ethics, or Dao or Do of your styles?
Train with a "pure"heart if your heart is not pure heaven will never allow pleasurable times.When dealing with people be delicate with them as a flower.
One should have the patience the time it takes a cigarette to burn out.
we do not use the Kanji Tao or Do we use Pou.Pou can be translated as Dharma
or the law of truth.Do is a path jutsu is a method to climb the path and Pou is the cloud over the mountain top once you reached it thru the path.

PangQuan
05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Use your kung fu ONLY for good.

Ray Pina
05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Interesting. I'm studying a new style and don't know if there's an official "Tao", ect.

A phrase that you'll certainly here time and time again from my master is, "I'm rich and famous, you're just a bum."

This is to instill in us the attitude that you shouldn't trade blows. Even if you knock out 3 more of his teath but he knocks out one of yours it's a loss. My master doesn't talk morality too much, but its in there. But it's a more of the oppropriate action for the apropriate time. That it's actually not natural to be good all the time, or bad all the time. I don't know. Guess I'll ask tomorrow when I train.

MasterKiller
05-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Crush your enemies.

See them driven before you.

Hear the lamentations of their women.

PangQuan
05-02-2005, 10:40 AM
oh ya, i forgot about that. :D

nevermind what i said b4 i take it back :p

Chief Fox
05-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Rape the horses and ride off on the women!

joedoe
05-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Tolerance and perseverance

ZIM
05-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Use your kung fu ONLY for good.
Use your kung fu only to LOOK good

/wushu

Becca
05-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Wisdom - Courage - Honor - Strength - Purity - All Knowledge

Also, Pai Lum as a set of nine rules. Follow them, or you are out. Some degree of leniency is given, but if you are making no effort to follow them...

SPJ
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Dao means way or path. Dao also means rules or laws of a certain subject.

Laws of physics is called Dao of the physics, etc.

Here is a link for WC fans.

Dao of Bruce Lee (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804831106/qid=1115174822/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5267131-9128659?v=glance&s=books)

omarthefish
05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
No "dao" for my style.

No code of ethics to be taught....however...he has particularly high ethical standards for who he teaches and even after he has accepted you, he can cut you off if you don't meet his standards as a person.

It's not taught. It's a pre-requisite for the teaching the violent stuff.

Reggie1
05-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Kindness, humility, respect