PDA

View Full Version : Best Wing Chun Video Series?

08-09-2000, 09:29 PM
What Wing Chun videos have you guys seen? What are the best for learning theory and technique?

It looks like Unique's Randy Williams video series has the most installments (like 16 volumes), and that there is supposed to be a companion book series through iisports.

William Cheung has a video series available on Amazon, but there are no reviews.

I've seen some of Augustine Fong's videos from Panther.

There are a few other titles I've seen around like Eddie Chow, Emin Boztepe, ESPY's Chung K. Chow, TCM's Shawn Tai, etc.

Anyone have any warnings or recommendations? So far, I've heard good things about Randy William's tapes from friends, but not any mention of him or his materials on the 'Net. Master Fong and Sifu Cheung's reputations are well known, but I've not heard a lot about the quality of their tapes.

Thanks for any feedback!

Sean Madigan
08-09-2000, 10:00 PM
Hi,

Good to see another Sean on here!

I have and absolutly LOVE the Randy Williams series. He gives so much detail it will blow you away.

Another thing I like about his series is the volume of drills that are shown. As most of us know, it is usally NOT the technique that is important, rather it is in the way you drill it that makes is combat effective.

I am sure we will see some politics crawl into this thread, so, just to set the record straight, I am NOT a student of Randy Williams.

Hope this helps,

BIG Sean Madigan

08-09-2000, 11:04 PM
Yo "Seans" LOL!

I agree with BIG Sean on this - Sifu Randy william's tapes are great - If you study WC then you need to see these tapes.

YODA

p.s. I'm not a student of his either :-)

OdderMensch
08-10-2000, 02:15 AM
as a Sean who studys wing chun I would like to shamelesly plug my Sifu's video series "Wing Chun for Combat" as far as I know the most Complete series on Wing Chun.

Check it Out at authentickungfu.com

Sihing73
08-10-2000, 04:20 AM
My pick would have to be the series by Sifu Chung Kwok Chow from New York City. His tapes go into a good deal of detail and he also gives his take on how energy should be flowing during the performance of the forms. I think he covers everything which one needs to cover without becoming too much.

Peace,

Dave

word
08-10-2000, 07:30 AM
I have a few friends in the wing chun circle and they stated that the tapes by randy williams are " a joke." Shawn Todd Tei does not have a great reputation either.

FUJIYakumo
08-10-2000, 10:35 AM
I study TWC in melbourne, and have managed to see William Cheungs tapes. they vary in quality, but for the most part are not too bad, and several versions/variations of the
tapes exist. (or several diff series i think.)

Rick Spain has an excellent video out on the wooden dummy.

i dont have anything good to say about randy williams videos, or about todd shawn tei.

past email on the WCML has had some very good things to say about Chung Kwok Chow tapes, so if you can get them, give them a go!

Sihing73
08-11-2000, 05:39 AM
FUJIYakumo,

So are you still on the WCML? Where abouts are you located? I am right outside of Philly. Perhaps we could meet one day.

Peace,

Dave

08-12-2000, 05:41 AM
I haven't heard of Rick Spain. Where can his wooden dummy tape be obtained?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Sihing73
08-12-2000, 06:06 AM
Sean,

Email me and I will see what I can do. I have a copy but promised not to distribute it. If you want to obtain a copy I believe my instructor charges something like $25.00 for the tape. I think he also has most of William Cheungs tapes and is permitted to distribute them as well.

dmcknight@home.com or Sihing73@Juno.com

Peace,

Dave

FUJIYakumo
08-12-2000, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sihing73:
FUJIYakumo,

So are you still on the WCML? Where abouts are you located? I am right outside of Philly. Perhaps we could meet one day.

Peace,

Dave[/quote]

hey dave, yeah i'm still on the WCML.
and i'm down in melbourne mate :-)
loooong way from philly ^_^

i run the http://www.lifestylewingchun.com site for my sifu.

if you do come down to melbourne, be wlecome and drop me a line.

Sihing73
08-12-2000, 07:57 AM
FUJIYakumo,

If that is Melbourne as in Australia it may be a while /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Although, I do want to meet Zopa one of these days. I have talked to him and he plans to visit the states one day. Still, I would not mind bringing my son down under to visit. If I ever do have both the money and time to visit I will be sure to look you up. Of course the same goes should you get to the states. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Peace,

Dave

Steeeve
08-13-2000, 08:27 AM
I go for Duncan Leung tapes series...the best wing chun I see and very good method.
Chung kwok Chow series is good too...

flavour54
08-13-2000, 08:08 PM
http://stc.nepean.uws.edu.au/wingchunway/
You could email Rick Spain for a copy.

------------------
"take the pebble from my hand"The old monk from the TV show"Kung Fu"

"I just go at it as best I can"
Benny the Legend.

humblewarrior
08-15-2000, 12:43 AM
Does anybody know of any good videos on Buddha hand wing chun? If so, where can I buy them?

Buhma
08-25-2000, 02:08 AM
I only have two series on tape Chung K. Chow and Wong Shun leung.

The WSL tape is pretty old and basically just goes inot an intro of WC. Though I think it rules cause the way he does his demos... so crisp and powerful!

I also sort of like Chow's tapes but he does differ on a few things that are BIG things in my book... he doesn't seem to use any Lambo(sp?) steps and only does the shuffle steps... It's very important for me to stress footwork, footwork and footwork in WC.

Also his sparring technique (although he himself does not do this) of his students need alot of work... they seem to concentrate on "circling" their arms too much... this gives it the effect of "slap-fighting" IMHO. Although I did find it a good series for the beginner..

As for Randy Williams, I have never seen his tapes so I can't comment on them... but I've heard some bad reviews of his series... ah well... but he sure does have alot of ads /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Buhma (edited 08-25-2000).]

mun hung
10-19-2000, 09:47 AM
In my opinion, fellas I think that Duncan Leung has the best tapes out by far. I just finished watching a bunch of tapes which included Randy Williams, (he has a bouncing fook sau?) Austin Goh, (no comment) Chung Kwok Chow, (no comment) Leung Ting (no comment)and a few others. Without mentioning names...some of them were pretty bad. Just my opinion.

Ross
10-19-2000, 11:04 PM
I picked up one of his first tapes and I felt it was really a disappointment as well. I expected so much more from what I thought would be his senior students. You would be better off to go and buy a copy of "prodigal son". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Really though the Wong Shun Leung tape is a classic and well worth having. Not only are his techniques good but he also has some great sound effects on the tape!

R

mun hung
10-20-2000, 09:52 AM
I had to laugh when you mentioned the sound effects on Wong Shun Leung's tape cause that was one of the tapes that I saw. And you're right-it's a classic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

sing fu
10-23-2000, 04:03 AM
Can I ask what everyone thinks of Leung Ting's Authentic Wing Tsun Kung Fu & Dynamic Wing Tsun Videos?

Thanks in advance!

vingtsunstudent
10-23-2000, 03:29 PM
hey guys just as a note, did you know that video was nearly never released because of that introduction.
when he saw it he was, to say the least, very unhappy. every one that knows of him & his attitude towards the practicality of the art would understand why he wasn't impressed.
vts

flavour54
10-24-2000, 03:37 AM
I don't like being to negative but I have Randy William's tapes on Chi Sao combat techniques and I feel they are for the most part a bunch of c***.

"take the pebble from my hand"The old monk from the TV show"Kung Fu"

"I just go at it as best I can"
Benny the Legend.