PDA

View Full Version : My bro met a bunch of fighters at K-1 Vegas tourney

DragonzRage
05-02-2005, 11:35 AM
That lucky fool! I'm jealous. His friend hooked him up with a VIP ticket to see the K-1 tourney at the Bellagio. They got to sit next to and hang out with some great fighters as well. My brother met Bob Sapp and Gary Goodridge briefly. Says they were both really cool and humble guys. He also got to sit next to Tito Ortiz during the fights, so he and Tito were shooting the $hit while watching the fights. Tito was really cool to him as well. Tito gave him respect for being a Marine Recon combat vet, joked around about the Lion's Den, and called Ken Shamrock a has-been :D

What was also very cool is the fact that my brother got to party with Brazilian Kyokushin kickboxer Glaube Feitosa after the tourney. Feitosa was the tournament winner, after KO'ing Goodridge in the final. He talked martial arts with Feitosa. Interestingly, Feitosa commented on the fact that there are few true karatekas who do well in K-1 these days, and that Muay thai has had such a heavy influence on everything. But he considers himself a true traditional karateka. When he fights, he sees himself as representing karate (not kickboxing or muay thai). My bro also spotted Rick Roufus at the party, who looked tired, beat up and out of whack after losing his fight. He took a bunch of pics, including one with Tito, that I'll have to check out the next time I see him. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Ray Pina
05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Cool.

Does your brother train? It must be wierd to be a martial artist and surrounded by such well know, and tough and big, fighters .... because you know how martial artists are when they get together.

DragonzRage
05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Well my bro doesn't train all that much. He did several yrs of Wing Chun, and has picked up some MMA basics through his Marine training and by practicing informally with me and a few others. Altho it felt strange for him to be among so many tough talented fighters, all the big name guys he met were cool and down to earth. On the other hand, a bunch of fight teams rolled out in big entourages for the event, and he did encounter a few testosterone pumped a$$holes among them. But it seems like these were the no-name sidekick losers. All the famous guys he met were respectful.

rogue
05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Isn't that always the way?

DragonzRage
05-02-2005, 05:16 PM
yeah, pretty much ;)

rogue
05-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Do you think that Tito will ever figure out that in time he'll be a has-been too? ;)

Losttrak
05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Well, since Tito hasn't re-signed with UFC, refuses to take Pride fights, and is now working as a commentator for professional wrestling... I wonder when he is going to realize that HE is a has-been.

DragonzRage
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm actually pretty convinced that Tito is a nice guy at heart, and that the whole WWE wannabe badboy persona is simply how he tries to market himself. But in any case, his unprofessional conduct is, as the old saying goes, "not good for the sport". Still, he's a big talent and hopefully he'll settle things with the UFC and get back in the game. I don't think he'd do as well in Pride.

Finny
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Tito's probably still upset that Lee Murray whupped his @ss.

:D