PDA

View Full Version : Strained or tore something?

ewallace
05-04-2005, 08:18 AM
I am not sure how I did it, but I can barely when I raise my hand I can barely go beyond my elbow being parallel with my shoulder. The pain seems to go from my armpit to my elbow along the back of my arm. It's almost like having a sore tricep but it's exruciating. Anyone have any idea what kind of injury this may be?

MasterKiller
05-04-2005, 08:45 AM
jerkingyourpekeritis?

ewallace
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
jerkingyourpekeritis?
Although I do have a large range of motion when performing exercises that can lead to jerkingyourpekeritis, I have already ruled that one out.

Reggie1
05-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Can you go into how it happened?

Chief Fox
05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
I am not sure how I did it, but I can barely when I raise my hand I can barely go beyond my elbow being parallel with my shoulder. The pain seems to go from my armpit to my elbow along the back of my arm. It's almost like having a sore tricep but it's exruciating. Anyone have any idea what kind of injury this may be?

I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV so take this for what it's worth.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be tendonitis in my rotator cuff. The first thing I would do is rest it for a day or so and if it doesn't improve then I would go see a doctor. I would stop training immediately. If it is tendonitis and you push it, you could end up with a tear if you don't have one already.

Good Luck.

ewallace
05-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Can you go into how it happened?
I really don't know. I was horsing around with a buddy over the weekend, but I don't see how that could have caused it.

Becca
05-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I know a person who herniated a disk in his spine sweeping clay litter up with a street broom. All it takes sometimes is to move wrong. You don't even need to be sick or already injurred.

The rotator cuff is not a joint in the same way as most joints in the body. The top of your arm bone does not lock into a socket. It is held against the scapula by a basket-like configuration of muscles. It is this set-up that allows us to have so much range of motion in our arms. But it also leaves us prone to muscle and tendon inury that will affect the whole arm and shoulder region. Often, the injurred spot will not cause you much pain, but rather, a muscle or tendon that relies on the motion of said part is what is hurting, because it is forced to do something it isn't designed for, trained on, or even healthy and flexable enough.

There are so many ways to mess up your body trying to self-treat something like this. You are much better off going in to see a good doctor who will actually look you over and check your range of motion. Don't setle for the old "take some asprin and call me in a week if it still huts" line...

ewallace
05-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Don't setle for the old "take some asprin and call me in a week if it still huts" line...
Nope. Just Darvocet and a muscle relaxer. If this still bothers me over the weekend I will have it checked out on Monday. I'm just not sure if I should go see my doctor, or go to the ER or a Med clinic. Chances are if I went to my Doc he would end up sending me over to the hospital for an MRI. Just want to make sure it's nothing serious and if it is to try and keep the costs low. Fortunately I have an excellent insurance plan thru work.

Thanks everybody, except MasterKiller. He gets honorable mention for just being a ******. :)