PDA

View Full Version : is this a low percentage technique or no percentage?

WanderingMonk
05-04-2005, 11:29 AM
so, is this a low percentage or no percentage?

MasterKiller
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
At the bars Red5 frequents, that is a high-percentage technique.

PangQuan
05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
This is somewhat lower level technique.

But in the second frame, where his leg is behind him, this can be followed through into a more advanced technique. The advanced version would require him to follow over the top with the kick, pulling his upperbody down and under, thus bringing his heel over, full circle and applying the kick to an opponent in front of them as well.

this can be started with different forward kicks, front stretch, or cresent, or axe for example.

Shaolinlueb
05-04-2005, 12:06 PM
its a pretty low level technique. our good friend colonel guile of the united states special forces does a reverse one. that is a little bit higher level technique.

stubbs
05-04-2005, 12:34 PM
whats he trying to kick? if he was wearing a top hat and was trying to kick it off onto the coat/hat rack then that would be pretty cool and a high level technique IMO.
________
Threesome schoolgirl (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1080/schoolgirl/videos/1)

Losttrak
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
This reminds me of the Savate "Pirouette of Death", taught by the elite ballet dancer bodyguards of King Louis the IVVIIV

joedoe
05-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Isn't it high level since his foot end up above his head? :D

SimonM
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
No, it is a closed door technique of the famed style:

Wi Ya Fu taught almost exclusively by the Yuen clan. Once the Yuen clan lived in the area of Hong Kong but recent intrigues have caused many of them to retreat to the hills of the Ho Li forest where they have taught such famous masters as that girl from Bullet Proof Monk. ;) :p

PangQuan
05-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Simon is right, I was raised in Ho Li forest by a band of dirt trolls. Eventually they couldnt keep up with my appetite for fancy kicks and had to give me to the Yuen clan. Thats when I learned how to kick top hats off of guys behind me.

this skill has saved my life more than once.

David Jamieson
05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
with enough force you can kick yourself right in the medulla oblongata and thereby render yourself instantly unconcious or possibly even dead.

so, high percentage if you get it right. :D

gfx
05-04-2005, 08:17 PM
This is a common technique in Cuo Jiao.
I think it's fairly common. I imagine it's used as a follow up to a failed/faked round-house. Basically like how a side-kick would be used, but the angle would be weird since the strike rises from underneath. Plus it allows the practitioner to easily change direction and escape.

some thoughts.

Shaolinlueb
05-04-2005, 08:25 PM
i thought it was a wushu thing to show flexibility and balance? you can use the motion for a backward kick striking up but probably nothing that high.

WanderingMonk
05-04-2005, 09:44 PM
i thought it was a wushu thing to show flexibility and balance? you can use the motion for a backward kick striking up but probably nothing that high.

it is actually a legitimate technique from the chuo tui system. I know they practice it and it is in the manual. but, I've never seen it use in sparring/fight, so I don't know how it would be use.

cynthia rothrock used it in that TLC reality show, "faking it" (which caused me to dig this up and thinking it over). in the opening sequence when she was supposedly being "assaulted" in the bar, she used it to kick the "attacker". Of course, the whole thing was a set-up, so I didn't buy how she was using it.

she used when she was clinching with the guy, pushing him off a bit, allow her body to lean forward and kick with this "rear" scropion tail like kick. I didn't see enough power generated to be convince that it would work.

Brad
05-04-2005, 11:23 PM
I got hit with that by my first wushu coach in sparring when I was sixteen... not sure how he set it up though, just that he nailed me in the back of the head :confused:

shuaichiao
05-05-2005, 03:17 AM
That's a legit kick in alot of styles. Like alot of techniques in forms it's abit exagerated, like training follow through motion. It's used to kick the groin and to sweep the leg or legs up in a lot of throws.

red5angel
05-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Is that savate?

At the bars Red5 frequents, that is a high-percentage technique.

what's the matter am I getting all your action?

BibitClerus
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
i dont believe in santa claus

SimonM
05-05-2005, 02:47 PM
"Legitimate technique of a real martial style" or not I wouldn't trust this move as far as I could throw it; hell as far as anyone could throw it. Lousy power generation, big wind-up time, and the only payback is the element of surprise? If somebody tried a kick like that on me I'd be liable to just give them a leg up (if you know what I mean) until they fell down.

red5angel
05-06-2005, 08:31 AM
If it's Savate, I get the feeling that Savate was setup more like a sport, a dangerous one for a while, but a sport none the less. From what I understand, the more flashy the trick, and the more you could pull off, the better you were. Savate matches weren't knock down drag out brawls, it sounds to me like they had rules. IT's possible within the rules this kick could work for what it is intended.

ewallace
05-06-2005, 08:39 AM
All of you are so caught up in martial arts that you fail to realize that this is simply a follow-thru in bowling.

The man in question obviously bowls left-handed.

David Jamieson
05-06-2005, 08:40 AM
That's a signature move of Cynthia Rothrock movie fu by all appearances. :D

SevenStar
05-25-2005, 10:10 AM
That's a legit kick in alot of styles. Like alot of techniques in forms it's abit exagerated, like training follow through motion. It's used to kick the groin and to sweep the leg or legs up in a lot of throws.

yeah - in this light, I'd say it was perfectly valid - like the sweep done with uchi mata or harai goshi. you see it in shuai chiao also.

But, as a stand alone kick.... :rolleyes:

SevenStar
05-25-2005, 10:12 AM
That's a signature move of Cynthia Rothrock movie fu by all appearances. :D

sure is. they have her bent forward, about to guillotine choke her, and WHAMMO! she hits them with that kick. Very effective for her.

PangQuan
05-25-2005, 12:03 PM
If you follow all the way over and lead it to the front from the top, im pretty sure this is an eagle style kick, dont remember the name, but I have seen it. Or it may just be called an eagle kick. My memory fails me.

norther practitioner
05-25-2005, 04:48 PM
As it looks in the picture, it looks like a few different techniques I learned in a drunken thing...

One is the pull back of the opponents leg... sort of like a sweep...

The other is a step to the side, grab and kick with the bottom of the foot, I've practiced it on a heavy bag a lot... I also punked some kid with it once, but I can't talk about that..... :)

I think MK and I talked about this one a couple summers ago.

HearWa
05-25-2005, 05:31 PM
so, is this a low percentage or no percentage?
It's China's answer to the suicide pill. :)

Royal Dragon
05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
My daughter used to do that in her Level 7 Balance beam routine for gymnastics. I don't think it's any sort of martial arts.

fiercest tiger
05-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Great back scratcher skill though!

We wonder why Kung Fu guys get laughed at from Most other arts?!:)

FT

mickey
05-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Greetings,

The way that kick is demonstrated it has no value at all. I have vcds about the chuo chiao style and still I don't get it. One of the sons of Ma Xianda, in an Qi magazine article, stated that not too many know how to used the chou chiao kicking method any more. I am starting to believe that. When the basic understanding of usage fades, the style fades.

I did learn a reverse snap kick and that targeted the groin. It works well. Another approach would be throwing a reverse roundhouse kick while standing behind your opponent, hitting a target in the front. Or getting in close to your opponent and shooting a reverse roundhouse to the kidney area. Suddenness is of importance here.

mickey