PDA

View Full Version : Style of Wing Chun

Snoopy
08-13-2000, 01:24 AM
Is Wing Chun a hard style? Does it involve kicks & punching?

Snoopy

------------------
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Sihing73
08-13-2000, 09:04 AM
Hi Snoopy,

Wing Chun is usually classified as a soft style. Although most do not consider it an internal art per se, it relies less on strength and more on relaxation and redirection of force. The most well known technique, Chain Punches, rely on quick delivery and a great many punches delivered in a short period of time in order to get the job done. Whereas some styles rely on a one punch type of method wing has often been described as having a machine gun, and the Wing Chunner will oftentimes empty his clip. It is not unusual to train to deliver at least 4 or more punches per second.

As to whether the art has punches and kicks the answer is that it has both. Hand techniques are more common and kicks are usually delivered below the waist. The art also has throws and locks built in though some do not stress these aspects. Depending on which lineage you train you may learn forms or you may learn seperate techniques done without forms. All should have some common concepts though, such as that of the centerline and not meeting force with force, etc.

In any event I hope this is somewhat helpful. In the most generic terms a Hard Style is one which relies on strength and is more force versus force. A Soft Style is one which relies more on redirection of force and positioning to overcome superior strength. Please keep in mind that this is a very basic description and many arts have elements of both to be found within. For example, Hung Gar is often considered a Hard Style yet at advanced levels can be done quite softly. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Can be confusing trying to put labels on things at times. Some are just contrary LOL

Peace,

Dave

Mark
08-18-2000, 10:34 AM
Hi!
Good post, the best one I have scene in a long time!
Though throws???
I Havent scene anyone in Wing Chun that uses throughs!
I think I have scene that Rick Spain doing one though!
Lol! Thats if you class him as Wing Chunner!

Sihing73
08-19-2000, 07:36 AM
Hi Mark,

Throws are not apparent in Wing Chun but they are there. Take the Gum Sau for example. You can step in on an opponent and by using the concept of Gum take control and drive him to the ground. Give it some thought and let me know what you think. There are others as well but sometimes it is better to think on them and discover them for yourself. It is just a matter of perception. Give some thought to how you may perform a throw with the stance turning and footwork of Chum Kui as well /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . As to Rick Spain doing Wing Chun, I think I would not classify him as a Wing Chun man but of one of a high level /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Peace,

Dave

Mark
08-19-2000, 08:58 AM
Hi sihing73

Hmmmm I have never thought of a gan sao like that before!!!!!
I have actually used in a situation before and it did basically throw him!
But I have never classed it as a throw though, I do now though!!

WT
08-19-2000, 12:27 PM
I don't do much throws any more.
In WT I prefer low kicks to take a guy down at close range.
The two most common I do is using the huen
bo movement or the turning bong sao.
Maybe because they remind me of my favourite
techniques in jiu jitsu and aikido. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
WT