PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dummy--Comparisons????

Taijimantis
08-13-2000, 03:04 AM
Hello friends.

I am wondering if anyone anywhere out there in Wing Chun land, has a photographed or otherwise doccumented referrence to the Wooden Dummy form for WC.

I practice Northern Praying Mantis, which also uses the wooden Man, and has a 108 movement form. Before he passed away my Sigung, Chiu Chuk Kai, had his form illustrated and explained in the Alumni book for his Federation.

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to swap? I am curious to see if any similarities exist and if so, I would like to see how they came about.

I was originally researching a magazine article, but the wealth of knowledge I have accumulated on Tai Chi Praying Mantis, and Master Chiu Chuk Kai, I may write all of my findings into a single volume. If I do this I need to research everything I can... and I need you the Wing Chun practitioner to help me out!

Any takers?

"One who acts on truth is happy in this world, and beyond."
--Dhammapada

Namaste.

Sihing73
08-13-2000, 09:10 AM
Hi Taijimantis,

If you are interested in comparing the Wing Chun Dummy with your version there are a couple of references you could use. There is a book "The 116 Wooden Dummy techniques" Authored by Yip Chun and Leung Ting which shows the complete dummy form. Also, Augustine Fong has some books out which show the complete form as well as videos. I believe his version is 108 movements. Also, Randy Williams has a series of books out one of which is on the Dummy. If you are itnerested in videos there are also Rick Spains dummy video and Chung Kwok Chow just came out with a 2-video series on the dummy.

I also believe that Leung Ting may still be offereing a series of posters, one of which shows the dummy form. there are plenty of refernce materials to aid you in your quest. If I can be of any help feel free to let me know. You may also wish to get in contact with the Ving Tsun Museum as they have been collecting a lot of reference material from various lineages.

http://home.vtmuseum.org/

Peace,

Dave