PDA

View Full Version : differences in bak sil lum forms from different schools

gwa sow
05-06-2005, 10:10 PM
one of my sihings has studied bak sil lum in south america and has made a comment that the bak sil lum on the wing lam tapes is different than what he had learnd. is this due to different lineage or has wing lam changed the forms for the tapes.

also, are there any other bak sil lum videos besides his???

SifuAbel
05-07-2005, 11:46 AM
The core is all the same. The only real differences are in "flavor"(manor of execution) and small technical variations here and there. Otherwise its the same thing.

and of course the insistance on calling it sil instead of siu.

Scythefall
05-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah, the school I learned BSL from teaches differently than Wing Lam. Since ours was a more powerful execution, I used to assume they (Wing Lam) must be wrong, but I understand now that different teachers and lineages teach variations. I think as long as there is true application, you can't go wrong.

GeneChing
05-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Every being is unique, so everyone interprets the arts differently, in accordance to their own abilities. Wing Lam actually did two video series on BSL, and an extra BSL #6 (that's three different video versions of #6). I've not seen any other instructional BSL videos but there are a few demonstrations floating around of Chan Kwok Wai's students, Johnny So's students, other lineages, etc. I've even seen a minalnd wushu version of BSL #5 on video. There are also books - Chan Kwok Wai has one on BSL#6, Wing Lam has one on BSL#7... doesn't Lai Hung have one on BSL#6 too? But you'll always see variation, just as you'll always hear variation in music. Art, including the martial arts, isn't about rigid adherence to form; it's about expressing your vitality, your spirit, your 'self' and that is always unique.

SifuAbel
05-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Art, including the martial arts, isn't about rigid adherence to form; it's about expressing your vitality, your spirit, your 'self' and that is always unique.

AMEN!!! This is true even when the forms don't change. People don't get it that form work is a tool of foundation for the abstract to build on.

cristiangomez
05-21-2005, 04:55 PM
ok, that`s truth but the differences between schools is not maybe the form itself
i think that the difference is in the way you train it.
i am bsl instructor in GM Jerry Lee line that is stronger that chank kwok wai bsl.
:D

see you, cristian

SifuAbel
05-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Really, you got video? I'd like to see this.

How is it "stronger"? Do you practice iron palm/body?

Is this the Jerry Lee thats in Miami?

cristiangomez
05-23-2005, 10:05 AM
hi, abel!!
yes, my sifu (walter Ferrisi) learnt bsl with GM jerry lee in Miami and with Chan in brasil but he prefered jerrys bsl.
here in argentina the bsl is from chan or olive hui(a sifu in hong kong) and us that i can say are the unique in line of bsl of the old chin wan school(i knew that his disciple here left him and change the school).
i had not news from miami since a lot time ago but we still keep trainning

this bsl is stronger in the way you play a form (chans bsl is a little calm and slow and jerrys are very powerfull in moves and more continuous)

and yes we train iron palm, iron fit

sorry for my english :o

salute you :p

cristian

SifuAbel
05-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Calm and slow? Thats news to me. Your historical facts are a little bent, especially about chin wan. Concidering the source, its no surprise.

cristiangomez
05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
i dont know what you know. i appreciate if you told me about you a little more.

about chin wan (thats the name of the jerrys school, chin wan association)and i am not sure if the school still open.

slow and calm means that the tecnics are the same but each step of the form is more pronounced.
we do the forms a little faster and with a pronouncced force in tecnics.

may be i am not clear because my english is limited.

what do you mean with "concidering the source, its no surprice"

sorry man, if my source is not good for you.

cristian

SifuAbel
06-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Been away for a while so this will be a bit dated.

I talked with my teacher about chin wan. Too many details and too much history to cover in one post.

But, I will state a fact, that GM Lee is a HUNG GAR practitioner. There is no line or lineage from him in BSL. Your BSL "IS" from Chan Kwok Wei. Your sifu IS the source of BSL in Lee's schools.

NorthernShaolin
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Hate to jump on the band wagon but I've done some research in this matter too and I've came up witht the same info as Sifu Abel.

NorthernShaolin
06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
slow and calm means that the tecnics are the same but each step of the form is more pronounced.
we do the forms a little faster and with a pronouncced force in tecnic

cristian

I think I know what you mean and what you're describing here is an expression of the set. It is still the same but is demonstrated in another aspect of the set. Some people will naturally express sets with "power" while others will not.

As a general rule as one reaches different levels in BSL, power is not openly expressed and becomes "softer" to the observer. But the "power" is there and is even more powerful than the obvious "hard power" that you see in your school.

Chan Sifu's BSL is at a very high level and his BSL is very powerful but to the observer, it appears 'soft' or in your words, "slow and calm".

SifuAbel
06-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Yes.....
In reality, more drama doesn't mean more power. Its actually a product of a southern style to hard breath and pronounce a power in a punch.

David Jamieson
06-08-2005, 07:36 AM
What is it with martial artists and their ideas that they have the real thing and everyone else is missing out?

I think it's time for the travelling global lei tai tour and signed waivers saying that all defeats are to be acknowledged in perpetuity. lol :p

sean_stonehart
06-08-2005, 07:42 AM
What is it with martial artists and their ideas that they have the real thing and everyone else is missing out?

It's all about "Mine is bigger than yours" or "My dad can whip your dad" mentality IMHO. It's one thing to try it out. It's another to make assumptions "Because of..."

I think it's time for the travelling global lei tai tour and signed waivers saying that all defeats are to be acknowledged in perpetuity. lol :p

There'd be more excuses for not fighting than fighters actually showing up.

David Jamieson
06-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, well, that is the indication. The whole "mine is bigger, better, etc etc" is juvenile quite frankly and I for one am quite tired of it. Nowadays, that attitude goes about as far with me as a lead balloon. lol

as for excuses, excuses, well, we see that as often as the sun rises. :D

Makes the whole lot of it look goofier and goofier. We have enough goofiness in Martial arts as it is. I say let the killing begin! :p

SifuAbel
06-08-2005, 09:13 AM
I don't know who this is all directed to, but this one is about truth in advertising.

cristiangomez
06-09-2005, 03:16 PM
sifu lee was an hung gar teacher but he knows bsl too, i knew that his bsl came from GM frank demaria.

i know here chans disciple and he knows and recogize lee as bsl teacher and the diferences between schools

i can say that the bsl i train is not just "power" for the view.
forms work is focus in the jing energi

salute you, cristian

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 03:48 PM
I don't know who this is all directed to, but this one is about truth in advertising.

I hear ya on that.

Which brings us around to the topic of mcdojos, mckwoons and mmmm mmmm mmm mcribs! :p

Still, one can have power without the "Hi yah!" :D

gwa sow
06-10-2005, 07:15 AM
everyone shows their stuff different, thats why it is martial ARTS. evryone has their own ideas or views. make it more interesting instead of seeing the same stuff eveywhere. i like to see the same style done in different ways.

Lokhopkuen
06-10-2005, 08:42 AM
sifu lee was an hung gar teacher but he knows bsl too, i knew that his bsl came from GM frank demaria.

i know here chans disciple and he knows and recogize lee as bsl teacher and the diferences between schools

i can say that the bsl i train is not just "power" for the view.
forms work is focus in the jing energi

salute you, cristian

Claudio Derenzo of BSL in Argentina also studied with Jerry Lee and Frank Demeria as well as Chen Kwok Wei and it is my understanding jery Lee is Hung Gar and not BSL. It is nice our style is spreading in the pampas, hahaha!!! :D :D :D :D

peace

GeneChing
06-10-2005, 09:47 AM
everyone shows their stuff different, thats why it is martial ARTS. evryone has their own ideas or views. make it more interesting instead of seeing the same stuff eveywhere. i like to see the same style done in different ways. I agree with this to a point. For any art, you have to put yourself into it - you have to make it yours - to make it really 'live'. Rigid copying of the masters serves only as an educative tool - there must be some variation from practictioner to practitioner, since practitioners vary. One shoe never fits all. But at the same time, there's an essence that much be preserved in BSL or any other style for that matter. At a certain point, it becomes another shoe - a new shoe - sometimes a better shoe, sometimes a worse one. One of the least discussed aspects of evolution is that most mutations die - it's not like the X-men. Most mutations (or 'variations' in our martial metaphor here) are weaker. With our generation, global communication is astounding - take this forum for example - and this is causing more mutations than ever. While I'm always happy to see distant BSL cousins with unique variations, the other edge of the sword is that I'm also seeing more crappy BSL than ever. This is happening across all styles to some degree, and I don't foresee it decreasing - quite the oppopsite. The really tricky part where to draw the line...

cristiangomez
06-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Claudio Derenzo of BSL in Argentina also studied with Jerry Lee and Frank Demeria as well as Chen Kwok Wei and it is my understanding jery Lee is Hung Gar and not BSL. It is nice our style is spreading in the pampas, hahaha!!! :D :D :D :D

peace

claudio direnzo was jerry lee disciple for a long time and he learnt bsl from him as well as hung gar.
claudio`s brother (horacio) is chans disciple here and he was lee`s student at first

i can tell you bsl here is one of the most popular stiles :D :D

see you

David Jamieson
06-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I agree with this to a point. For any art, you have to put yourself into it - you have to make it yours - to make it really 'live'. Rigid copying of the masters serves only as an educative tool - there must be some variation from practictioner to practitioner, since practitioners vary. One shoe never fits all. But at the same time, there's an essence that much be preserved in BSL or any other style for that matter. At a certain point, it becomes another shoe - a new shoe - sometimes a better shoe, sometimes a worse one. One of the least discussed aspects of evolution is that most mutations die - it's not like the X-men. Most mutations (or 'variations' in our martial metaphor here) are weaker. With our generation, global communication is astounding - take this forum for example - and this is causing more mutations than ever. While I'm always happy to see distant BSL cousins with unique variations, the other edge of the sword is that I'm also seeing more crappy BSL than ever. This is happening across all styles to some degree, and I don't foresee it decreasing - quite the oppopsite. The really tricky part where to draw the line...

My bsl is crappy and I have seen even crappier. So, I agree with G~ :D

My other kungfu pwns though now that is has been thoroughly mixed with a heaping helping of mma, full contact sparring, ground fighting, boxing and a generally more intentful attitude as opposed to the mimicry it once was. :D

Lokhopkuen
07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
claudio direnzo was jerry lee disciple for a long time and he learnt bsl from him as well as hung gar.
claudio`s brother (horacio) is chans disciple here and he was lee`s student at first

i can tell you bsl here is one of the most popular stiles :D :D

see you

Yes I know I have seen many tapes from my Bro's Claudio and Horencio. I like the way you guys perform BSL Down there!

GeneChing
07-01-2005, 04:33 PM
My bsl is crappy and I have seen even crappier. So, I agree with G Right there, that's were to draw the line. ;)

David Jamieson
07-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Right there, that's were to draw the line. ;)

Line drawn, continuing on with live training and fitting my kungfu into it.

I would still like to get to know some more bsl where i am, unfortunately, there ain't no one around here who has it. At least not that I am aware of, and I like to think of myself as aware of where the styles are at where I'm at.

I could use some tune ups on stuff I am not correct with mechanically speaking. :p

cerebus
07-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Bah! The reasons for the differences is that YOU are all doing it WRONG! Only I have the TRUE Bei Sil Lum!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

SifuAbel
07-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Bah! The reasons for the differences is that YOU are all doing it WRONG! Only I have the TRUE Bei Sil Lum!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

Bei SHAOLIN...........Bak SIU lum

cerebus
07-03-2005, 09:42 PM
See? Another one of your commonly accepted errors.... :D :D :p :p ;)

Lokhopkuen
07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
My Teacher translates it as SHAOLIM. A middle ground between the Canton and Mandarin Shaolin/ Siu Lum.

cristiangomez
12-02-2005, 10:00 AM
My Teacher translates it as SHAOLIM. A middle ground between the Canton and Mandarin Shaolin/ Siu Lum.

called BAK SIU LAM MUN too.:)

David Jamieson
12-05-2005, 07:02 AM
hey any of you guys know what line Wu Chi Nyu comes from?

I got a couple of tapes of his and the forms are a little different from the ones i learned, but again, shape and essence and sequence is essentially the same even if there are one ofr two subtleties that are different.

NorthernShaolin
12-06-2005, 01:56 AM
David,

Is this the guy (or his student) who is selling BSL video tapes for $39.95 out of the state of Ohio? If I remember correctly, these tapes were once sold under one of his ex-students (who is also a medical doctor). These tapes were on BSL and originally came out before Sifu Wing Lam produced his own tapes. When I conversed with his student back in the 1970's, he told me at that time that his sifu was hard to understand because he spoke only Chinese and Spanish. He is no longer in the USA but returned to his home in South America. This lead me to believe that Sifu Wu learned from Sifu Chan Kowk Wai but I could be wrong.

Since his sifu left the country, he wanted me to come out to visit him (plane ticket, room and board paid for) to finish teaching him the rest of BSL and make a new complete set of videos because at that time, some of the sets were mis-named and were, for some reason, cut short. I declined the offer because I had other commitments and I recommended that he call my classmate, Wing Lam who was teaching in Sunneydale, California. He eventually did and Sifu Wing Lam made his first set of BSL video tapes from this guy. Wing never liked these videos because at the time of the taping, he was not feeling well (he had stomach flu? problems) and did not perform the sets at his best. The taping was done in one day and Wing flew back to California the next day. As a result, Wing decided to re-do them and market them himself and so the rest is history.

You can buy these tapes but he does not sell the ones with Sifu Wing Lam in it.

Kaimen, do you reconize or know who this guy, Wu Chi Nyu, is?

David Jamieson
12-06-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't know much about the tapes production company. Just that it is Wu Chi Nyu productions. The guys english seemed ok enough. I don't see anything on them indicating they're from ohio.

I can't remember exactly what it was , but G~ implied there was something about these tapes that had somethiung to do with his sifu Wing Lam.

The execution of the sets are different than wing lams though.

NorthernShaolin
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah, Wu Chhi Nyu has a little speaking part in English in the beginning of each tape. Just enough to get his message across. Currently the tapes are performed by either himself or by his ex senior students. It really sounds like the same guy. Maybe he's back in the USA.

And yes their execution is different from the common BSL that we nornally see here in the Northern Hemishere. It's the same but noticeably different.

David Jamieson
12-06-2005, 03:25 PM
these tapes are old, but yeah, I think we're talking about the same guy.

so he's one of Chan Kwok Wai's students then?

GeneChing
12-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I remember when Sifu Lam went out to film those, and you're right, he wasn't happy with them. I don't think he realized what he was getting into, and signed into a bad contract. Those were the early years of video, if anyone can remember video ;) so when the contract expired after 10 years, Wing Lam did his own series.

Funny, I have no memory of him being a BSL guy, but like I said, I never engaged him - I never met him or had any conversations with him. Wasn't it WTN? Wu Tchi Nyu, or something along those lines? He had other videos too - some escrima, some other arts. He was really early in the video thing and built his company mostly on the fact that he was one of the first.

SaekSan
12-09-2005, 04:14 PM
To my understanding Woo Tchi Nyu (Brazilian romanization) was a student of Chan Kwok-wai's that moved from Brazil (Sao Paulo) to the US (Ohio, I beleive). Woo's senior student was Charles Duchaz (sp) a.k.a. "Dou Wan Chun" who is currently one of Chan Kwok Wai's top students and has a school in California. He performed several sets for the video series.

I remember watching a WTN tape entitled "Tsa Kuen" (Cha Quan) that had a pretty interesting interpretation of the Si Lu Cha Quan.

WTN was based out of Ohio and if you look for IKF issues from the late 80's early 90's you'll see his ads in there.

GeneChing
12-09-2005, 04:55 PM
I see. Funny I never made that connection. Or maybe I did but got that synaptical connection sheared the last time I was hit in the head. I remember Charles. We chatted a few times over the phone when I worked for WLE. I probably have all those WTN tapes in storage somewhere. They're probably in pretty bad shape now.

David Jamieson
12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
is that the tall black dude with the braided pony tail?

shuaichiao
12-11-2005, 08:11 AM
I have some bootleg copies of those WTN Wing Lam tapes. I was interested in seeing what he showed for applications but as usual with videos there was nothing very deep in knowledge demonstrated. I also have a couple of the non core northern shaolin sets that Woo Tchi Nyu demonstrated like niorthern snake, 7styles eagle claw and a couple of weapon sets. I'll have to torture myself and watch one of them again to see what he said about his lineage.

Incidently according to his website he still sells shaolin and hung gar tapes that feature wing lam.

http://www.secretsoftheorient.com/secretsoftheorient/Shaolin.htm

SaekSan
12-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes, that's the one.

He's (Charles) a pretty prominent figure in the Brazilian BSL community right now. I'm not sure what happened to the WTN - CD relationship but it looks like they are no longer associated.

GeneChing
12-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I imagine WTH did quite well with the Wing Lam series. He had Doc Fai Wong and Dan Inosanto, who were bigger 'names' than Wing Lam back then, probably still are bigger now. But WTN didn't promote those series near as much as he promoted Sifu Lam's stuff. For years, his ad only highlighted the BSL10 and Hung Gar. And to pay for that ad, he must have been selling well. I suppose it could be argued that this brought BSL into the public eye - one of the early steps in the progress of that lineage into the US. I remember clearly when WLE began its ad campaign and WTN quickly pulled up its tent stakes and disappeared. I remember because I was behind that ad campaign. I designed most of those ads - my campaign was targeted so I kept a keen eye on WTN throughout it. It was a very short campaign too, the way I like it.

This thread is bringing back a lot of memories for me.

shuaichiao
12-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Here is the lineage he gave in his material

...................Shaolin Temple

....................Gu Yee Cheung

....................Yim Seung Mo

Chan Kwok Wai....................Kwong Wing Lam

WooTchi Nyu

NorthernShaolin
12-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Well he could at least be a little more detail in the lineage.

More like Shaolin Temple.......? (unknown).......Gu Yee Cheung...etc.

kai men
01-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Hi everybody!! sorry I have been out of the forum so long time.
I would like to clarify some things regarding Sifu Jerry Lee, Chan Kowk Wai, etc.
1) Sifu Jerry Lee did learn SOME Bak Siu Lam from an advanced student of Chan Kowk Wai in Miami in the 70's.
2) My brother learnt Bak Siu Lam with Sifu Jerry Lee (only a little, Shaolin 6, Shaolin 7 etc.) and then he continued learning from me, until this year when he became a disciple from Lai Hay Liang from gwangzhow.
3) Jerry Lee modified the BSL forms. That's why mr. Ferrisi could see those differences, but the origin of BSL from Jerry is the same: Chan Kowk Wai.
4) Frank De Maria doens't teach Northern Shaolin, but Luohan and other Shaolin Styles.
5) Wu Tchu Niu was indeed an old student of Chan Kowk Wai. He learnt a lot of things with GM CHan. When my Sifu Chan Kowk Wai, discovered the video tapes, he got angry!!! these were made and sold without any authorization. It is indeed a very poor material, there is a lot of wrong stuff there and the performance is one of the worst things I ve ever seen. Nothing to do with Chan Kowk Wai's gong fu, even when they are his forms.
6) Mr Ferrisi is not - nor was - Chan Kowk Wai student. He only went to his Academy to have a few classes with him, not establishing any relationship nor continuity.

Today in Argentina we have three different lineages from BSL:
1) Ku Yu Cheung - Yim Sheung Mo - Chan Kowk Wai - Horacio Di Renzo
2) Lung Tchi Cheung - Lung Kai Min - Olive Hui - Neldo Sacomani
4) Ku Yu Cheung - Lai Gan Qing - Lai Hai Liang (son) - Claudio Di Renzo

About the differences....I agree with Gene completely. Different flavour, sometimes indicates that your teacher is a real Master. No Master leaves this world without adding his personal touch to the art he teachs.
Kindest Regards
Horacio

Hui Clan
01-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Kai Men,

It's been a while since last we spoke to each other. I hope all is well with you and your family on that side of the globe. Anyway I have a few questions and/or comments listed below regarding this topic. See below:

[QUOTE=kai men]Hi everybody!! sorry I have been out of the forum so long time.
I would like to clarify some things regarding Sifu Jerry Lee, Chan Kowk Wai, etc.

1) Sifu Jerry Lee did learn SOME Bak Siu Lam from an advanced student of Chan Kowk Wai in Miami in the 70's.

Was this student Sifu Chan Bing Cheung? if so are you'll still in contact him him currently?

7 etc.) and then he continued learning from me, until this year when he became a disciple from Lai Hay Liang from gwangzhow.

This is great news. Tell your brother I said hello and drop me an email sometimes.
My son and I were in China around the same time as you brother was. We tried to hook up with him while we were there, but we missed each other. We'll try to hook up (visit you'll) later in the year down in your area.

5) Wu Tchu Niu was indeed an old student of Chan Kowk Wai. He learnt a lot of things with GM CHan. When my Sifu Chan Kowk Wai, discovered the video tapes, he got angry!!! these were made and sold without any authorization. It is indeed a very poor material, there is a lot of wrong stuff there and the performance is one of the worst things I ve ever seen. Nothing to do with Chan Kowk Wai's gong fu, even when they are his forms.

I believe Woo Tchi Niu (Wu Chi Nu) and his son Woo Pak San resided in the Whittier, California area about 10 years ago. Since then their where abouts are unknown. Also
I have four of the ten tapes that were produced by Mr. Woo and Sifu Lam. They are , Lien Lou (Number 2), Jou Ma (Number 3), Lin Wan (Number 9), and Sik Fot (Number 10) forms. The tapes are still in very good shape, considering how old they are.

Today in Argentina we have three different lineages from BSL:
1) Ku Yu Cheung - Yim Sheung Mo - Chan Kowk Wai - Horacio Di Renzo
2) Lung Tchi Cheung - Lung Kai Min - Olive Hui - Neldo Sacomani
4) Ku Yu Cheung - Lai Gan Qing - Lai Hai Liang (son) - Claudio Di Renzo

The above are three great lineages all tracing it's roots back to GM Ku awsome.
Question: where does Sifu Olive Hui resides? in HK, South America, where?

About the differences....I agree with Gene completely. Different flavour, sometimes indicates that your teacher is a real Master. No Master leaves this world without adding his personal touch to the art he teachs.

I'm totally aboard with the above here! and in agreement with both you and Gene.

Thanks for clarifying things up in your post.

Hui Clan:D

Malcolm J.
01-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi Horacio,

This is Malcolm from Argentina but living in Hong Kong.

Would like to know if you find any differences between what you learned from Master Chan and what Claudio is learning from Sifu Lai?

Hi Hui Clan,

Sifu Olive Hui lives in Hong Kong.

Regards to all.
Malcolm Johnstone

Lokhopkuen
01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Olive Hui was the lady connected us with Lung Kai Ming in 2001, Hui Clan.

Hui Clan
01-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Brother Lokhopkeun thanks for the update, that's good to know. Does anyone have images of what Sifu Olive Hui looks like?

Hui Clan:D

Olive Hui was the lady connected us with Lung Kai Ming in 2001, Hui Clan.

pablitop
01-15-2006, 12:43 PM
hey! here u can find some pics of Sifu Olive Hui

www.wuhsingchuan.com.ar

kai men
01-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Malcom!
Mestre Lai's Bak Siu Lam is very similar to GM Chan Kowk Wai`s. It is just a little more "dinamic", relaxed, but the secuences are exactly the same.
I could also check the Siu Can Tson excercises and there are only minor differences.
I find this teacher very good.
Regards!!
Horacio

Lokhopkuen
01-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Brother Kai Men;
we also found Lung Sifu's gung fu to be very similar to what we practice with delightful subtle differences. The Kowloon Norhern Shaolin association welcomed us as brothers and sister of the Wulin from a warm space of Wudi.

Peace

kai men
01-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi brother, I agree completely. Brotherhood between all the Bak Siu Lam family is escential to our art.
Kindest regards to everybody!
horacio

GeneChing
01-20-2006, 11:50 AM
As lineages go, I feel pretty luck that BSL is relatively friendly with each other. We have our issues, but on the whole, we don't see the full out wars that go down in many of the other lineages. Why do you all think that is?

David Jamieson
01-23-2006, 07:17 AM
As lineages go, I feel pretty luck that BSL is relatively friendly with each other. We have our issues, but on the whole, we don't see the full out wars that go down in many of the other lineages. Why do you all think that is?

I think it's probably because the forms are more or less the same. And the founder is recognized and not so far in the past as to be a shadowy legend that cannot be proved or disproved. it's still quite obvious who Ku Yu Cheung was, what he did, who he taught and how he died.

As opposed to a stream of legendary stories etc etc that you find in other styles.

gwa sow
01-23-2006, 10:25 AM
can you point out a site that has some good history on him or bak sil lum?

David Jamieson
01-23-2006, 10:36 AM
I think WJM's students / teachers have some info at http://www.jingmo.org

and then I also think there might be some info at http://www.jingmo.com

you can also do a googlde on Ku Yu Cheong / Ku Yu Cheung / Gu Ru Zhang / Ku Yu chang and probably find some stuff about him.

there aren't a whole lot of masters of this style and the ones who are share a lot in their lines both of study and of their teachers.

GeneChing
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I dunno, KL, I think it has more to do with the inherent philosophy of BSL than legends/histories of GM Ku. I think it has more to do with the kind of personalities BSL attracts. It's a complex system, especially when you compare it to something like Wing Chun. It takes a certain type of person to get to the end. The composition of the BSL 10 is magnificient, but I don't think you really get a sense of its brilliance until you complete them all and chew on them for a while. Also there's something to be said for the body type - most BSL practitioners are long and wiry, like GM Ku. I think the movements lend themselves best to this body type, just like Hung Ga lends itself to stockier stock. So maybe there's an ectomorphic quality to it, if you acribe to Sheldon (which I don't). Anyway, it's just an observation...

David Jamieson
01-23-2006, 12:04 PM
nope, i agree, bsl is not so nice looking when performed by a fat person.

:p

also, it is demanding as far as cardio vascular goes. Rapidity in the system and changes are like a stream that can drown you if you're not careful of the flow.

I only still know a few forms of it and it is a most impressive and deep style of chinese martial art.

Fen
01-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Brother Gene...

I do have to agree with you... I'm stock-e- and have to work harder with some of the sets... But I would not give up the style. Like my Sifu, I have a love for the art and it's history... Most of the Sifus / Masters of BSL are repect-full to one another and try to help one another out to keep the peace between us.

by David Jamieson
bsl is not so nice looking when performed by a fat person.

PS... I feel if some is over weight and doing there best! It will look just as good someone with no meat and the same exp...

~Jason

emisosa
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Does anyone knows how can i get in touch with master Olive Hui?

Lokhopkuen
07-13-2006, 07:18 PM
can you point out a site that has some good history on him or bak sil lum?

My understanding is that there is no official written history. Robert Louie has an interesting and detailed history with lots of pictures {I have a copy :-} and I have a little here http://www.harmoniousfist.com/kuyucheung.html

Peace