PDA

View Full Version : Xingyi in China's 1928 contest

blackmantis
05-07-2005, 02:14 PM
I read somewhere that Xingyi triumped in China's 1928 full contact martial arts contest, but would love some more information if anyone's got any...

I heard that the rules had to be changed due to the rate of maiming! Doesn't sound like much fun...

Does anyone have any more information on the schools that competed or specifically the Xingyi players?

Many thanks,

S

D_Dempsey
05-07-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know if they still do matches like this in China, probably Taiwan. Most, not all, of the Xingyi schools fight. Its a big part of the system. The Tang Shou Tao used to, I don't know if they still do, hold full contact xingyi matches. Go talk to a xingyi instructor about it, I'm sure they could give you some info about full contact matches.

NorthernShaolin
05-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Do a search. This tournament was the first National Championships given by the Kuo Shu in Nanking, 1928. This was discussed in the Shaolin section a while back. We named all 13 or 14 masters. They were Hsing-i, Bagua and Shaolin masters but they all acknowledge that when it came down to the final rounds, the fights were over quickly, usually in 3 to 5 moves, and that they all used Hsing-i techniques.

Since they were all masters of their own repected styles, and not Hsing-i, they were able to transfer their MA abilities onto Hsing-i and were able to win their fights with hsing-i techniques. Remember that everyone was watching each other fight and studying their style of fighting. Suddenly when they faced the final rounds, they changed their strageties and won their round. At this high level of ability, and when everyone has equal abilities, (and they were all at the same age since none of the older GGM entered) then the winner is really determined as to who is the fastest.

K.Brazier
05-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi Northern Shaolin,

I did a serch like you said but nothing comes up.

I suppose that when they redid the forum the new search engine doesn't connect to the old info.
Is there any other way of finding that thread?

Kevin

Brad
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe try a google (http://www.google.com) search?

Kristoffer
05-10-2005, 07:16 AM
any footage?

WanderingMonk
05-10-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't know if they still do matches like this in China, probably Taiwan.

"sanctioned" full contact fight w/o protection gears?

Nope, Taiwan don't do that anymore. Even the Tang shou xingyi people wear head gear, chest protector, and gloves in their internal competition.

D_Dempsey
05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
"sanctioned" full contact fight w/o protection gears?

Nope, Taiwan don't do that anymore. Even the Tang shou xingyi people wear head gear, chest protector, and gloves in their internal competition.

Even if you're wearing gear that's still full contact. A lot of full contact tournaments wear protective gear. Its just smarter that way.
-David Dempsey-

cerebus
05-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Here in the U.S., NATSTA (North American Tang Shou Tao Association) holds full contact Hsing-I/ Bagua matches each year. Advanced students wear only mouthpiece, cup, and thin MMA-style gloves. These are closed-door events however, open only to NATSTA members.

BAI HE
05-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey Troy,

Kumar's teacher (Lieh Hung Jie) fought in the tournament.
He discusses the tournament in his "Power of Internal Martial Arts" book.
Give it a flip at Borders!

Supposedly the WC guys bombed the Shaolin guys who in turn got bombed by
the Xingyi guys.
Bagua was represented, but Lieh stated that they were loathe to
maim their opponents. I guess the Xingyi guys were not as restrained.

BAI HE
05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Since they were all masters of their own repected styles, and not Hsing-i, they were able to transfer their MA abilities onto Hsing-i and were able to win their fights with hsing-i techniques

This makes no sense. The techniques of Xing-yi are secondary to the "internal power". You don't watch it in the middle of a fight and decide "Hey, I can do that too!"
If anything, Xing-yi, looks rather simple and not very pretty.

Remember that everyone was watching each other fight and studying their style of fighting. Suddenly when they faced the final rounds, they changed their strageties and won their round. At this high level of ability, and when everyone has equal abilities, (and they were all at the same age since none of the older GGM entered) then the winner is really determined as to who is the fastest

Speed won? At what high level of ability? They were all equal?
This makes no sense and is ridiculous.
Did you make this up on your way here?

I don't mean to be rude, but this post is so ludicruos, I am taken aback. Who fed you this rank pile of crap?

cerebus
05-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey Pete! Yeah, I have the book, it's got some great stuff in it. ;)

Kiwi
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
[B]
Speed won? At what high level of ability? They were all equal?
This makes no sense and is ridiculous.
Did you make this up on your way here?

I don't mean to be rude, but this post is so ludicruos, I am taken aback. Who fed you this rank pile of crap?

For someone supposedly trying not to be rude, you fail miserably.

BAI HE
05-18-2005, 05:38 PM
the word w h i z got ****'d out?

Now that's ludicrous.

phoenixdog
05-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Once in Denver, a team of sabaki kick boxers came over and took on all comers.The "challengers" were from every martial art in Denver at that time. The sabaki kickboxers all used the same strategy.Unload on the opponents legs right away and then when the hands drop,knock the opponent out with a shot to the chin.Well, after about 6 or 7 bouts of this you could see what the japanese team's strategy was. So later, opponent fighters tried adapt to what the winners were doing,but to no avail.This lessened the damage, but not the outcome.