PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite sword play?

SPJ
05-07-2005, 07:06 PM
The straight sword with double blades is called Jian.

The single blade broad sword is called Dao.

What is your favorite routine of Jian or Dao practice?

Why?

There are so many forms in every style.

I like the Night Walk (Ye Xing) broad swordplay from Song Xi branch of Wu Dang Pai. It consists of all the basic elements of broad swordplay. It is also designed to fight multiple opponents in your left, right, front and back from the beginning to the end.

:D

BibitClerus
05-07-2005, 09:25 PM
never learned any routine
but like the Dao better

just a personality thing, maybe

gfx
05-07-2005, 11:58 PM
The straight sword with double blades is called Jian.

The single blade broad sword is called Dao.

What is your favorite routine of Jian or Dao practice?

Why?

There are so many forms in every style.

I like the Night Walk (Ye Xing) broad swordplay from Song Xi branch of Wu Dang Pai. It consists of all the basic elements of broad swordplay. It is also designed to fight multiple opponents in your left, right, front and back from the beginning to the end.

:D

Where did you study your Ye Xing Dao from? To my knowledge the only place to learn Song Xi Nei Jia is in NanChong, SiChuan. ( Which is my hometown by the way, hehe ) I found a book on the style in my school's library, and managed to ( and still is ) learn most of the forms in it. It's called Mian Chuan Nei Jia Quan Jing Xuan ( 秘传内家拳精选 ) written by Yiu Ming Sheng ( 游明生 ). Ye Xing Dao is mentioned in the book, but not written out in detail. I'm enjoying the style a lot, not only does it give out important insights to throws and trips in CMA, it's also a curious style historically.

I learnt a sword routine called shaolin sword, which is possibly from the Cantonese bei-shaolin branch. I'm currently learning KunWu jian from the Taiwan wutan branch, and for Dao I learnt PiGua double sabres from Wutan branch as well. I don't actually enjoy sword and dao forms that much actually, I prefer freeflowing practices, and experiment with combos and strategies I found useful in sword sparring.

SPJ
05-08-2005, 11:26 AM
We are cousins in CMA.

I have studied with teachers from the service in Taiwan.

In Nan Chong (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2003-04/02/content_815407.htm), there is an air force base during WWII. So many air force servicemen speak Si Chuan Hua in Taiwan.

To be honest with you, I was never a good student.

But I do practice and think a lot.

An Shi Yun Nan Ren. I am from Yun Nan. (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2003-04/02/content_815408.htm)

My relatives are from Yun Nan.

Wu Dang Shan (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-04/22/content_2864917.htm)

:)

SimonM
05-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I've used both and I prefer the Jian over the Dao.

SPJ
05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes, there are more versatile movements with the straight sword, especially around the wrist.

In the old time, both Jian and Dao were practiced in every style.

In Shaolin, there are Da Mo Jian, and Wo Long or crouching dragon Dao etc.

:cool:

count
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Definately a jian fan, I've been working a lot with San Tsai Jian lately and lot's of free sparring. I'm still waiting for you to stop by SPJ. Every other Sunday morning is sword practice in the park on Casuda Canyon. Some of the others are learning Staff and Cane but we have a pretty tight sword group. Drop by.

Shaolin Dude
05-08-2005, 09:32 PM
I know both weapons and I like the broadsword better.

shuaichiao
05-09-2005, 04:27 AM
I like san cai jian becuase it contains all the best techniques for jian and becuase it can be done as a 2 man set when you have a partner.

Chang Style Novice
05-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Macbeth. There's a LOT of fighting in Macbeth.

Seriously, though. I once learned a yang taiji saber form, which was fun but I never practiced it cause I didn't think it seemed terribly useful to do it without some kind of two-man free play. I think I'd be more interested in short blades than long ones as a general rule of usefulness. I've always like kukris, that might be a good one.

Dronak
05-09-2005, 09:14 AM
I've only learned one bladed weapon form, a broadsword/knife form that our teacher called Seven Stars Knife. I actually learned it from a classmate since our teacher is no longer here, but the guy who did it with me helped our teacher teach other classes in the past, so he's good with this kind of thing. Our teacher did teach straight sword to some people, but that was in special classes I chose not to attend (we were already going fast enough, I didn't want to push more). From what I can recall seeing with the straight sword, it seems to be a little more technique oriented while the broadsword seems to be a bit more power oriented. Not having done both myself, I guess I'm not really qualified to compare the two of them, but I have this feeling that I'd probably like straight sword better than broadsword. My preference is really for staff rather than bladed, cutting weapons, but anyway.

johngreenhow
05-09-2005, 08:28 PM
zui jian

I'll never be able to do it properly, but just training it makes all other forms that little bit easier. And it looks cool..

Brad
05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
I like watching wudan jian forms. My favorite sword form is 42 taiji jian though.

One Finger Zen
05-11-2005, 03:52 AM
Chen Style Dao, very short form but extremely vigorous and highly stylised :D

Very vicious

Peace

OFZ

SimonM
12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm a proponent of sparring over forms with sword work. Shinai can be used to effectively replicate Jian in a pinch.