PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite staff forms?

SPJ
05-07-2005, 07:13 PM
The long staff is called Chang Gun.

What is your favorite Gun routine?

Why?

My favorite long staff play includes the venerable Shaolin 36 staff methods. Shaolin Gun Fa or staff methods were used to save the Tang King. Shaolin Si is famous for its staff methods.

I also like Wu Dang mountain guarding staff or Zhen Shan Gun. Who ever leaves the Wu Dang Shan has to be "pass" them. It has the best staff methods from mount Wu Dang.

Short/medium staff, I like the Tiger Tail Whip or Fu Wei Bian from Wu Dang.

There are more and a lot more.

:D

norther practitioner
05-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm actually currently researching the staff form I just learned, I need to find the notes of my teacher... scan the image of the characters and get someone to translate for me.

Dronak
05-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Well, I've only learned one staff form that our teacher called Monk Staff. I think he said it's a pretty basic form that lets you practice the basic moves and techniques of using a staff. We use a staff that's longer than we are tall; if we raise our hand over our head (like in school, but relaxed, not stiff), it reaches to about our wrist. I don't have much weapon experience, but I do kind of prefer the staff. This should be an interesting thread to read more about various staff forms.

Vash
05-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm rather fond of Tokumine no Kun. There are 3 staff forms in Isshinryu, one staff v staff drill, and a staff v sai drill.

I've got all the Tokumine and the staff/staff drills, and the staff side of staff/sai, but lack the last two staff forms. I don't currently practice them, though, as problems with my neck irritate my elbows, and that makes it difficult to do the form without injuring myself.

But, I can still move an olympic bar without injury :confused:

K.Brazier
05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
SPJ,
How do you determine that your staff routine is from the Tang Dynasty?

I suppose you must be familiar with the Ming Dynasty book,

Shaolin Gun Fa Chan Zhong?

The Author studied at Shaolin of Henan near the end of the Ming dynasty. At that time the accepted fable for how Shaolin had staff fighting only descended from around the Yuan dynasty.

So even if there was Shaolin Staff of the Tang Dynasty even the memory of such a thing was gone by the Ming, maybe even the Yuan.

SPJ
05-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes, you are correct.

I have collected a few books on Shaolin Gun Fa. There are diagrams, poems, apps and strategy. But most of them are single man drills.

There are staff methods for several people together "Gun Zhen". These are very rare to find.

I compiled some basic moves from these forms. There is also a routine of 36 moves. There were several claims.

And yes, what kind of methods they actually used to save Li Si Meng later became the first emperor of Tang Dynasty, we would never know.

Maybe someone out there would have more info.

I have to correct my first post.

Thaxs.

:)

Brad
05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I have a lose collection of long staff techniques and combos I like to practice (from modern wushu) but don't have an more complex forms memorized :p

David Jamieson
05-10-2005, 05:56 AM
I've learned a few staff forms now. But I prefer freestyling in all directions using as many of the techs as I can with some repitition. It is not as rigid as just doing a form and gives me a good idea of variable transitions, attacks defenses etc etc.

Becca
05-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I also prefer formless practice when it comes to weapons. I do the forms, so that I can perform them on demand, but mostly I just practice sets with repetition.

Gowgee
05-10-2005, 05:32 PM
There are staff methods for several people together "Gun Zhen". These are very rare to find.

I compiled some basic moves from these forms. There is also a routine of 36 moves. There were several claims.

SPJ, those multiple person staff routines sound interesting! How do they work, and what are the benefits of that method? Thanks :)

SPJ
05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
The fighting methods with a group of people are called Bai Zhen.

It is used in the military. You basically fight in formation.

It is difficult to defend against. If you are fighting Mano a Mano or one against one. No problem. But you alone fight against a group of people who are using Zhen Fa. It is very tough. You would have multiple attacks to your high, mid and low, left and right at the same time.

It is also a popular way in Shaolin temple, Wu Dang temple or any place that has a lot of people. Because you have many people, you may train them to fight in formation or Bai Zhen.

There are many ways to fight in formation.

There are also many ways to use a staff to fight against many, too.

:D

Gowgee
05-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey that's great!

I'd heard lion dance was also a kind of battle formation drill for boxer rebels before, but I didn't know formation movements were still taught in Chinese martial arts! That's good to hear that kind of staff etc training from the Days of Olde is still healthy and well.

One Finger Zen
05-12-2005, 09:32 AM
I can't really say a favourite because i mostly learn empty hand forms but i was delighted to hear my teacher say ' we'll do some pole next week' :D

Apparently its called 'Entangling Dragon Pole' :cool: cool eh? haha

The first few movements are awesome, what i expected from my teacher ;)

Ever since i saw the pole used in the movies back in the day, staff has been my fave weapon, even though i only just started learning the pole now.

'the most merciful weapon yet the deadliest'

Just my 2 pence

Peace out

:)