PDA

View Full Version : Corales + Castillo = Totally Freakin' Sweet

Chang Style Novice
05-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Man, I thought there was no way he was coming back from that. But it turned out there was!

norther practitioner
05-07-2005, 09:19 PM
:confused:

um, I'm lazy, refference please

Chang Style Novice
05-07-2005, 09:54 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/05/08/bc.box.corrales.castillo.ap/

sorry, that should have been corrales.

norther practitioner
05-08-2005, 01:54 PM
danx man....

Vajramusti
05-08-2005, 02:08 PM
It was a great fight- two very good guys. The referee was well intentioned but his
rule interpretations and actions played a role in the final round. The winner Corrales- dropped and took out his mouthpiece each of the two times he got knocked down. The referee took a long time to take him to the corner and have his mouthpiece put back in--- giving him precious extra time to recover. On the other hand Castillo didnt geta break with the stopping of the fight. A judgement call thing- he could have been permanently hurt or recovered and turned the tide..

Chang Style Novice
05-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I agree Corrales probably gained unfairly from the time it took to replace his mouthpiece (twice!) but rewatching the KO I can't fault the ref for stopping it when he did. Castillo was on the ropes and taking tons of wicked head shots with his hands down. If you don't stop a fight then, when do you? He complained about it afterwards, but it was neccesary for him and the sport. The fact that I watched a documentary about the Emile Griffith/Benny Paret rivalry-turned-tragedy a few weeks ago is probably just a coincidence. I'd love to see a rematch between these guys, but I read that it probably won't happen.

Vajramusti
05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Chang Style Novice.

Agreed.

Joy Chaudhuri

BAI HE
05-08-2005, 07:12 PM
I just want to see Corrales get another shot at Mayweather.

C vs. C was a greta fight. Those boys won't be fighting for a while after that. What a barn-burner...

cerebus
05-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Takes guts to keep going like that and mount such a comeback. Sounds like they're both pretty freakin' tough.

BAI HE
05-08-2005, 07:32 PM
BTW - Here's some boxing goodies:

http://www.geocities.com/chesschan3/

Some of the clips don't work but the ones that do are worth it.

Vajramusti
05-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Bai He sez:
I just want to see Corrales get another shot at Mayweather
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The results are likely to be the same unless may weather doesnt train or makes
a big mistake. Mayweather not only has faster hands- he also has power. But the key thing is mayweather has better footwork and slipping and sliding ability and fight smarts.

joy chaudhuri

Spark
05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
as good as Corrales is, there are fighters out there that will always be head and shoulders above their competition.

Mayweather will always beat Corrales IMO because he is just too gifted and will always be able to figure out Corrales. I was watching their first fight again and one of the KDs he feigned a short right hook and simultaneously threw a looping left - well Corrales covered up on the first punch leaving himself wide open for the left and down he went.

Same thing with Hopkins and Tito - I'm sorry but no matter how old he gets, Tito will never beat him, Hopkins is just too good.

One note on the Stoppage. It is my understanding that there was no standing 8 count in this match so the ref really had no choice but to stop the fight.