PDA

View Full Version : Force Training

Andy62
05-08-2005, 02:42 PM
In Wong Kiew Kit's book " The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu" He refers to "force training" and says that it is more important than technique. How would you describe "force Training" and how do you train for it.?

paper_crane
05-10-2005, 02:21 AM
i not too sure...still trying to work that one out but i think its got to do with aquiring skill, both general and local. general meaning overall agility, strength etc required to do any particular technique. local meaning specific requirements for a certain techinique such as silk reeling energy used for throws and stuff.......

To train this skill or force takes a lot of practice and it what differentiates between a master and his student. but i think just trying to to take to heart all that your master says and really put it into your kungfu and you'll achieve force!

if any person want dissagree plz enlight :) en

David Jamieson
05-10-2005, 05:45 AM
what does wong kiew kit mean.

well, I've actually spoken about this with him a few years back and here's the breakdown.

A beginner learns the shape, structure and alignment of their body via training in drills where the target is air. This is usually forms or drills, combos etc.

At the intermediate stage, the practitioner will now apply those mechanics to a device that provides resistance. That being a punching bag, focus mitts, pads, kick shields and so on. This allows the person to understand force exertion and to get a handle on the feedback of resistance to their strikes and as well refines the shape to have optimum alignment and structure to deliver the optimum amount of force to the target.

At the advanced stage, the target become dynamic and often is an opponent who is moving and striking back at you. You need to at this point learn to apply force in a much more refined way.

so it is three steps basically:

1) Theory and Shape
2) application versus static resistance
3) application in a dynamic environment

Those 3 things are what amounts to force training.

Andy62
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I have continued to research "force training" and remember Taoism from my studies of Eastern Civilization in college many years ago. Tao is a very strong influence in Chinese philosophy and had to wind its way into the fabric of their martial arts.

http://www.exn.ca/starwars/taoism.cfm

HearWa
05-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Heh, I have no idea... maybe he's saying if you were powerful enough you wouldn't need to learn Kung Fu?

I know plenty of non-martial artists who are pretty forceful, themselves. :P

Andy62
05-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Mental dominance is an advantage in all aspects of life and if you develop it to an extent where you can call on it in a wide variety of activities then you don't lose you power when you leave the mat. I have always felt that the martial arts in their highest stage of development were more mental than physical.

SevenStar
05-11-2005, 02:59 PM
mindset has it's place for sure, but I dunno if I'd put it ABOVE physical. same level, sure, but not above. all of the mental prowess in the world isn't gonna help a woman knock out wanderlei silva, for example.