PDA

View Full Version : Tams twelve kicking exercises

marcw1
08-18-2000, 08:56 AM
I would like to talk to any one about the
use of the poles for kicking. it also seems
to be another topic that no one seems to talk about in great detail. we know that chi
gerk develops leg sensivity but none talks about, about how to develop and use explode
power with the legs. the wooden dummy develops one type of energy. and the poles develop it further. this is a issue that needs more discussion on usage in combat.
how to develop the leg and how to issue power besides the woodendummy which only develops one type of power with the legs.
it is a topic that needs to be discussed in
more detail.

[This message has been edited by marcw1 (edited 08-19-2000).]

Sihing73
08-18-2000, 03:39 PM
Hi marcw1,

ON my way to take the kids to Great Adventure. Interestin topic I am all for discussing it. If no one else posts I will try to add something when I return.

Peace,

Dave

Sihing73
08-19-2000, 07:29 AM
Hello,

Now that I am back lets get this started /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

By poles are you referring to the tripodal dummy, the mui fa or the pole/weapon of wing chun? It makes a difference depending on your goal and end result.

Basically, the Tripodal dummy concists of three poles in the ground set up in a trianglular formation. The practicianer will move around the poles performing various kicks and strikes. Some will be done from within the triangle others from without. Can aide in the developement of kicks by allowing you to exert full power while moving and also allowing you to practice multiple kicks and simulate multiple opponenets.

The Mui Fa consist of slightly raised poles formed in plum flower design. Of course you can string a couple different ones together to form other patterns. Usually used to train rooting and proper stance transition. Also, depending on how high they extend one can move around within the pattern to better develope footwork and kicks.

The Long Pole would help in the developement of stance strength and this would carry over to kicking by giving one an increase in power. Also, if one trains to go low one can develope a bit of flexibility as well.

Now the above are generic introductions to these three. I welcome your input so we can take this further.

Peace,

Dave

marcw1
08-20-2000, 11:08 PM
Im refering to the tripodal poles they develop diffrent body mechanics than the dummy does. Which to me facilitates better
footwork in relation to how you use your
legs on your opponent

peace thank for your reply
Marc.

Sihing73
08-21-2000, 01:03 AM
marcw1,

Another fun thing you may wish to explore is setting up a pole pattern similiar to what they do in Bagua. You can place up to eight poles in a pattern and practice moving among them performing various strikes and such. YOu can do this utilizing nothing but Wing Chun footwork. If you have the space you may wish to try it out, can be a lot of fun /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Peace,

Dave

benny
08-22-2000, 04:29 PM
is it for kicks or for footwork. foot work can be practiced without anything just steping back and forth on the ground and i like to kick a normal punching bag
see ya

Sihing73
08-22-2000, 07:42 PM
Hi benny,

It is used for both kicks and footwork. The poles give one a point of reference when doing footwork drils. Plus, you can incorporate strikes and kicks along with the footwork. A lot of stuff seems to work great when practiced in the air but falls short when against something solid. The transmission of power is different that hitting a heavy bag. With a heavy bag the target will move with a post the target will not move and your stance had better be a little better as you will absorb some force back into your body. One of the treasons for using the wallbag rather than a heavy bag for training Wing Chun punches. Each one developes different aspects, both can be useful but traditionaly the wll bag was the way to go.

There are countless ways of practiicng footwork and kicks. This is just one of them. It seems like a good choice as it brings a more realisitc aspect to the art as you can practice full power strikes and kicks and get a feel for how they work.

Peace,

Dave

benny
08-22-2000, 08:58 PM
i actually put the bag in the corner so it wont move. i just meant before he worried about tripodal dummy if he realised the alternative.
i did know this wing chun forum was on until tonight how cool
see ya