PDA

View Full Version : Traditional training techniques?

ban_nighechain
05-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi, I'm new. I have a purple belt in Choy Li Fut Kung-fu. I would love to visit China for a few years, and train in Shaolin Kung-fu, but I do not want to my boyfriend to feel lonely. The main reason I wanted to train in Shaolin is because of the ways they gain strength, and endurance. Examples: training on vertical pieces of wood to gain balance, and running up and down long stairs for endurance. I was wondering if any of you had some ideas of how to train in more traditional ways. If you have any ideas, please tell me.

SevenStar
05-13-2005, 09:51 PM
you can strength train with stone locks.

Out of curiousity, why are you so adamant about your methods being "traditional"? the very concept of a purple belt is in itself non traditional...

bodhitree
05-14-2005, 09:55 AM
do everything in a horse stance, eating, watching tv, ect.

Chief Fox
05-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Just go to China, you're boyfriend is probably already cheating on you anyway.

IronFist
05-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the forums.

What are your goals for training?

Vasquez
05-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi, I'm new. I have a purple belt in Choy Li Fut Kung-fu. I would love to visit China for a few years, and train in Shaolin Kung-fu, but I do not want to my boyfriend to feel lonely. The main reason I wanted to train in Shaolin is because of the ways they gain strength, and endurance. Examples: training on vertical pieces of wood to gain balance, and running up and down long stairs for endurance. I was wondering if any of you had some ideas of how to train in more traditional ways. If you have any ideas, please tell me.

To develop internal strength (i'm not allowed to speak of chi) don't be surprised if sifu says you must abstain from certain things. your boyfriend might feel rather lonely like having to be only with himself.

ghost5
05-15-2005, 04:24 AM
First of all, Welcome. Got to ask. If you just want "traditional" endurance and strength training why go all the way to China? Newer methods are much safer and the results are generally better. If you are going to learn the system from the folks that really know, that I can understand ;) .

Running stairs is one of my favorite examples of what to do if you want to wreck your knees. I read an article in a medical magazine that stated a man that weighed 170 lbs puts around 1500 lbs of pressure on the knee joint running up and down stairs. The chance of twisting the joint and doing damage increasing as the person becomes fatigued.

But if the traditional ways are the way you want to go there are many sources that will show you how to build the equipment you need or how to use items in your area to serve the same purpose.

stubbs
05-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Try getting a manual labouring job. That'll probably give you a simlar sort of fitness/stress to the body, to the training they do all day long. Plus you can have a go at smashing bricks in your lunch break :)
________
VIDEO REVIEWS (http://videoreviews.org)

Becca
05-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Examples: training on vertical pieces of wood to gain balance, and running up and down long stairs for endurance. I was wondering if any of you had some ideas of how to train in more traditional ways. If you have any ideas, please tell me.
Go to your local park. Especially one that has a playground. Most of the equipment is perfect for this type of thing. If you just want to train ballance, try a cinder block. But it on a piece of old carpet with a nonskid back. Get the kind with a smooth side if you don't wnt it to wobble, but the wobble is great for really making you work your calves.

I hit the playground once a week. My kids love it 'cause mommy's doing the monkey bars with them and showing them new ways to climb on things. They have no idea that they are also improoving thier KF skills by doing this stuff with me. And they keep me motivated to do this type of training. :)

Vasquez
05-16-2005, 05:41 AM
First of all, Welcome. Got to ask. If you just want "traditional" endurance and strength training why go all the way to China? Newer methods are much safer and the results are generally better. If you are going to learn the system from the folks that really know, that I can understand ;) .

Running stairs is one of my favorite examples of what to do if you want to wreck your knees. I read an article in a medical magazine that stated a man that weighed 170 lbs puts around 1500 lbs of pressure on the knee joint running up and down stairs. The chance of twisting the joint and doing damage increasing as the person becomes fatigued.

But if the traditional ways are the way you want to go there are many sources that will show you how to build the equipment you need or how to use items in your area to serve the same purpose.

LOL it might be safer but it wouldn't mould your body in the way traditional methods would.

SevenStar
05-16-2005, 10:32 AM
To develop internal strength (i'm not allowed to speak of chi) don't be surprised if sifu says you must abstain from certain things. your boyfriend might feel rather lonely like having to be only with himself.

isn't the time frame for that only like three months?

IronFist
05-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Or you could just lift weights and you could bodyslam all the people who are abstaining from sex.

sk8fool
05-16-2005, 10:05 PM
speaking of playgrounds, i remember we used to run across the top of parrelel bars. Although when you slip you get the wind knocked out of you. That sounds kind of like the traditional style. Find obsticales to train on like that. You can train in the 36th chamber.

Reggie1
05-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Or you could just lift weights and you could bodyslam all the people who are abstaining from sex.

:D :D

Maybe I should try that method!

bodhitree
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
abstaining from sex is just an excuse for people who can't get any (i know, i've been one), but trust me, your much more relaxed in a fight if you just got laid!!!!
*I can't believe I actually wrote that. Of course you are more aggressive/more testosterone when you haven't had any for a few days.

Vasquez
05-18-2005, 07:11 AM
isn't the time frame for that only like three months?

Shaolin monks do train for life time, martial arts is a way of life