PDA

View Full Version : How to use wing chun in real combat

marcw1
08-19-2000, 05:26 AM
Wing chun for real combat

Over the years there seems to be no clear thread on how to use your wing chun in a real
fight. we have heard theory after theory from
various wing chun factions, who shall reamain
invisible. But there has never been a clear
thread on what we do as contact is made against a live opponet. we have always been
taught to attack our opponents center and shoot straight down the middle. but what happens when you have a strong opponet who wont go down, or very skilled opponet who knows how to side step your attacks. ( like a
good Boxer) We as wing chun people students
and instructors alike have to know how to deal with all attacks. and realize that our opponets center will always be contstanly
moving and we must adjust Accordingly.

Sihing73
08-19-2000, 07:43 AM
Hi marcw1,

Not sure where you are going with this; these things should be present in every class. I assure you I was taught to deal with an opponent that sidesteps, hops etc. We would even visit other schools to spar and learn how to deal with various systems. We also visited local boxing gyms and worked out with some of them as well.

If you are looking for a specific set of how to's then I don't think you will find them. Wing Chun is fluid and will depend on what is given by the opponent. For example; if my opponent attacks me three times with the same attack I may react three entirely different, yet appropriate ways in response. To clarify a lot will depend on your itnention and the energy received. If an opponent throws three right crosses yet each one has slightly different energy, say one is more forceful and one is aimed at a slightly different target than my reactions will vary. Also if he punches to the inside or the outside of my hand will affect my response.

In my opinion the way you practice Wing Chun should be the same way you use it on the street. If you fight differently than you train then there is, IMHO, a flaw in the methodology. The only thing that changes for me is my intent; do I want to destroy him or show mercy.

Let me know what you thnk.

Peace,

Dave

Mark
08-21-2000, 05:01 PM
Marcw1

Umm Im not sure how your school must talk about wing chun but Using wing chun in real combat is what Wing Chun is all about! Isnt it?
I study under a Wong Shun leung lineage which includes a lot of stepping. Thus, entering is highly practiced!
Try getting someone to pose and hop around like an idiot as a boxer would.
Then step at him while chain punching (if your style includes stepping)
Its actually not hard not to miss him!
And its hard for him to defend aswell.
This is just an obvoius basic example.

Umm where you have said:-
"Over the years etc"
The first two lines anyway.
What are you talking about?
What style do you study under?
Theres enough clowns in Blitz that give examples on how this aspect is shown.
Where you said,
"what if your oppenent is strong"
In our school we are tought from the begining that we should always expect and train with the idea that our oppenents are bigger and faster!
Thats where I think "Hard Training" comes in!!

vingtsunstudent
08-21-2000, 05:48 PM
hello everyone
i hate to say it guys but there are a lot of tachers(even in vt)who are teaching u to swim but have never been in the water themselves(i hope yall got that 1)
can i first just say don't think 'centre line' think centre axis because even if your opponent is side on(or facing the opposite direction 4 that matter) there are still many excellent targets as long as your strikes are directed straight in to him/her u are still attacking his centre.
also a good vt man will be very mobile & move very similar say to a boxer so as to not make themselve an easy target either.(i don't mean dance around or be up on your toes though)
ther are 50 million other things i could suggest but here is just 1. if your vt sifu is not preparing u to what u think is adequate for a real fight find someone else.

Mark
08-22-2000, 11:58 AM
Vingstunstudent-
Centre line theory and Centre Axis are the same thing and are just different names for it.
My school teaches us to attack and defend on 45 degree angles, (aswell as straight
forward)
So we are Attacking different sides and agles of the centre line. We still call it a Centre line though as I think it would be a better translation.
Though I think centre axis would still be a good term to use.

vingtsunstudent
08-22-2000, 12:56 PM
sorry mark
i wasn't talking to u as i would hay expected u to know that,i was talking to marcw1 as he seemed to be worried abouy an opponent who was moving a lot & if u haven't noticed a lot of other vt schools don't seem to fully understand this theory.

benny
08-22-2000, 04:11 PM
i agree. its like haveing a pin down the top of the opponent and you can hit anywhere along it, be that his back, side or front.

Mark
08-22-2000, 05:18 PM
VingStunStudent-
Hi, In fear for my life, I went through every single KFO page and checked every single one to see if I had made any foolish remarks about anyones posts (especially yours). When you came in, I was thinkin-
"What the hells goin on, I didnt say anythin stupid"
I cant find in this topic where I have ****ed you off.
Have I ??
If so, My sincere apologies (as you probably would have guessed by the blank white expression on my face tonight!)
Please reply!

vingtsunstudent
08-22-2000, 05:41 PM
hey mark
you're dead mate(lol lol)
no u didn't upset me in any of your posts infact u have quite a good take on the system 4 your skill level.
c u at training soon
ps next time i'll make sure we get to train together

WSLfan
08-22-2000, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vingtsunstudent:
hey mark
you're dead mate(lol lol)
no u didn't upset me in any of your posts infact u have quite a good take on the system 4 your skill level.
c u at training soon
ps next time i'll make sure we get to train together[/quote]

Make Sure You Smash Benny..

benny
08-22-2000, 08:48 PM
he dosent need any body to tell him that he already does.

vingtsunstudent
08-23-2000, 08:11 PM
now now boys u know i just like to play
ps don't tell me i know u 2 wslfan?

Buhma
08-24-2000, 09:55 PM
Hey Mark, I also study under WSL linneage. Who do you study under? Would like to exchange concepts with you and see how far WSL style Wing Chun differs.

Mark
08-25-2000, 04:42 PM
Hi Buhma-
I study under Barry Lee Ving Tsun,

I am only a beginner, there for I feel I have no right to speak on behalf of the style.

But Im just as Keen as the next guy and would like to talk about differd concepts.

Im sure VingStunStudent would also like to discuss concepts as I study at the same school as he does.
What style do you study under and where abouts are you?

WSLfan
08-25-2000, 05:03 PM
I'm the one who thought you couldn't lup sao, before Bill point out it was Dan.

ATENG
08-26-2000, 03:55 AM
gosh, its like the WSL lineage reunion. Heheh, btw, is there a school in the San Francisco Bay area?

Abe

------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then its just fun.

Buhma
08-26-2000, 12:04 PM
a WSL school in San Fran? Not sure, but I have heard great things about Ben Der's school there. In fact, one of my Sihings went to his school when he moved up there.

Sam
08-27-2000, 02:17 AM
James Cama Sifu's Kwoon was located in Bath Beach Boxing gym which housed many world champion boxers such as Antifermo and Kaloua as well as Olympic champion wrestlers from our Russian contingent. We constantly contended with top quality boxing, wrestling and powerlifters. Our training has always been traditional and live. We have used modern and traditional training tools but always from "within the systems concepts". Every form and break down exercises are applicable to a live, real action. We have a saying Thrice the Buddha or for every action we react with at least three counters. Fut Sao considers all forms and training exercise as close to combat. Chi sao and two man forms are used to enhance and suppliment live combat. We do fight with and without body gear.

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 08-27-2000).]

sifu dan
09-23-2000, 06:25 AM
have any of you guys tried putting your side stepping and footwork to practce agaist at least an amateur boxer?lets face it,wing chun hands are awesome in close,closing the gap is dangerous. i hav ad to learn the hard way,but boxers with real good TIMING,are no joke.of course i believe we have more weapons than they do,but timing is most important. same as when facing a good collegate wrestler,do you think your going to poke him in the eyse,before he slams you?your timing must be real good to avoid a takedown,and i doubt you will get the eye poke.we have to use the forms,BUT WE HAVE TO PRACTICE THEM AGAINST THE WAY POPLE FIGHT TODAY.it takes alot of getting slammed before ou can stop a good wrestler,and alot of bruises before you can out time a boxer to enter.