PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining

bodhitree
05-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I am worried about overtraining. I am kind of compulsive so I can train to the point of fatigue and beyond. I was wondering some tips. I try to eat well for recovery and focus more on certain muscles on certain days, but i just love to train hard and long. any advice welcomed anyone relate?

Chief Fox
05-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I can relate, I am also compulsive in my workouts and if I miss a day i feel like I'm somehow getting behind. But I try to be compulsive with my rest days too. Just stay in tune with your body. There are days when I wake up in the morning and I'm sore and I just don't feel like doing anything. So some days I don't. Other days I just go for an easy run. Keep track of your attitude too. If you start getting moody or feeling burnt out, these are signs of over training.

Good luck.

One more thing, If you do start to feel burnt out, it helps to try a different workout to break things up.

stubbs
05-15-2005, 01:30 AM
My sleep pattern is the first thing to go when I'm overtraining. I don't really feel tired physically, but I'm totally knackered mentally during the day because I would've only had a few hours sleep (if that) the night before. Zinc and magnesium or ZMA, supplements can help a little bit when I'm at this stage.

You probably wont appreciate this until you experience it for yourself, but you really do need to listen to your body. If somethings inflamed and painful then rest it or just work on it very lightly - even if the pain does go away when you exercise it, don't work on it too hard. It's better to have a few days to a week off than spend a month or more trying to undo what damage you've done.

If you're doing an intense cardio or heavy weight lifting program, then it's probably best to have a week off every 6 - 8 weeks for recovery. In the week off, review what progress you've made over the last few weeks and see whats worked best and also look into your diet to see how you can improve it. Be productive in your rest breaks - also try researching your martial art or other martial art techniques so when you get back into class you've got a few new ideas to try out.
________
MFLB (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/magic-flight-launch-box)

Vasquez
05-15-2005, 03:39 AM
I don't think you can overtrain if you take time to meditate and suppliments if you're not eating well. Medation has the same effect as sleep.

ghost5
05-15-2005, 04:34 AM
Try to keep 72 hours between workouts for the same muscle group for full recovery time. As for the over training what stubbs said. If your sleep patterns start to change then scale back some. Training too late in the day is a classic way to mess up the rest you need.

Sleep and mood changes will be your body's way of telling you to take a look at what you are doing.

For several years I trained with some World class power lifters and some good body builders and learned alot from these guys. It is amazing how we can't see what we are doing to ourselves because we think that more is always better but the people we train with can see us going down hill instead.

Vasquez
05-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Try to keep 72 hours between workouts for the same muscle group for full recovery time. As for the over training what stubbs said. If your sleep patterns start to change then scale back some. Training too late in the day is a classic way to mess up the rest you need.

Sleep and mood changes will be your body's way of telling you to take a look at what you are doing.

For several years I trained with some World class power lifters and some good body builders and learned alot from these guys. It is amazing how we can't see what we are doing to ourselves because we think that more is always better but the people we train with can see us going down hill instead.

I think if you're dead serious in your training yes it will affact your attitude and out look in life. Kung fu is a way of life. Later you learn to hold back the fire but as a beginner you want to release the fire. Might find that you want to fight all the time.

Merryprankster
05-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Later you learn to hold back the fire but as a beginner you want to release the fire. Might find that you want to fight all the time.

No, they call these people *******s. They exist in all walks of life.

bodhitree - if you exhibit any or a combination of the following:

Short temper
Near Constant soreness
Near Constant fatigue
Can't wake or get to sleep
Getting sick frequently
Kind of extreme weight loss

You may be overtraining. Overtraining is USUALLY not caused by length of workout, unless you're doing marathon stuff, but rather by intensity of training coupled with lack of recuperation time.

It takes a while to get overtrained. It's not something that happens overnight or in a couple of weeks. As you pointed out, good diet can alleviate this.

In all honesty, MOST of us do not have to worry about being overtrained. The body can take an amazing amount of punishment.

The problem is recognizing overtraining - it's a case of "creeping normalcy." You start thinking that it's normal to be sore, cranky and tired because it happens over time.

bodhitree
05-16-2005, 07:34 AM
thank you all!

Vasquez
05-18-2005, 07:22 AM
No, they call these people *******s. They exist in all walks of life.

bodhitree - if you exhibit any or a combination of the following:

Short temper
Near Constant soreness
Near Constant fatigue
Can't wake or get to sleep
Getting sick frequently
Kind of extreme weight loss

You may be overtraining. Overtraining is USUALLY not caused by length of workout, unless you're doing marathon stuff, but rather by intensity of training coupled with lack of recuperation time.

It takes a while to get overtrained. It's not something that happens overnight or in a couple of weeks. As you pointed out, good diet can alleviate this.

In all honesty, MOST of us do not have to worry about being overtrained. The body can take an amazing amount of punishment.

The problem is recognizing overtraining - it's a case of "creeping normalcy." You start thinking that it's normal to be sore, cranky and tired because it happens over time.

who was that famous samuri again. He learned and practiced the physical (releasing the fire) then later on the spiritual. it's a journey in life.