PDA

View Full Version : What Style to chose? Leung Ting any good?

Exydian
05-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Hello,

I just moved to NYC from Australia where I studied various martial arts. I have made my decision and want to learn proper Kung Fu. What I would love is to train two different styles, one focusing on body control and great forms/weapons (internal/external?) and the other concentrating on usability and effectiveness in a real combat situation (linear/circular? emperor's fist? jet kine do?). What is your opinion?

Which styles and schools in the New York area can you recommend? What about the Leung Ting System Wing Tsun school in Manhattan? Is the style worth recommending? What about the Bow Law school? My priority is not a fancy school with shiny uniforms but to study hard and learn the real deal! What's the secret tip for NYC?

It would be great if you guys could give a newbie some expert advice as to what the best choice of style is, for each of the areas mentioned.

Appreciate your help!!
Marco
Edit/Delete Message

couch
05-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Have you ever heard of Complete Wing Chun?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804831416/qid=1116167335/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-4836356-7528738?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I recommend a little research. Find out about the different lineages of Wing Chun and the families inside those lineages.

Is one school better than another? Sure. But that's what I think. Personally, I think you're lucky to be in NYC, as I'm in the Moy Yat family. But, again...that's MY opinion and it's not work squat.

First, do the research. Then, do the research...go check out the schools and find what you're looking for. Is Leung Ting any good? Of course. Is person X any good? Probably. Does it work in a highly-intensive situation as well? To some that's more important....like having the complete package. Are you sitting in a stance and throwing the same punches for 2 hours and then sent home? Have you learned any self-defense against a resisting opponent? Etc, etc. I'm sure your martial arts you studied should give you the ability to have red flags go off.

What martial arts have you learned in the past? What has drawn you to the art of Wing Chun?

Kenton Sefcik

Samson
05-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Leung Ting not bad, Jason Lau has a very good school, stay away from the made up Wing Chun Wiliam Cheung style.

Samson
05-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Hello,

I just moved to NYC from Australia where I studied various martial arts. I have made my decision and want to learn proper Kung Fu. What I would love is to train two different styles, one focusing on body control and great forms/weapons (internal/external?) and the other concentrating on usability and effectiveness in a real combat situation (linear/circular? emperor's fist? jet kine do?). What is your opinion?

Which styles and schools in the New York area can you recommend? What about the Leung Ting System Wing Tsun school in Manhattan? Is the style worth recommending? What about the Bow Law school? My priority is not a fancy school with shiny uniforms but to study hard and learn the real deal! What's the secret tip for NYC?

It would be great if you guys could give a newbie some expert advice as to what the best choice of style is, for each of the areas mentioned.

Appreciate your help!!
Marco
Edit/Delete Message

Try the Wing Chun Kali System of New York City

Nick Forrer
05-15-2005, 12:09 PM
If your after internal MA (xsing I and Bagua) in NYC I have *heard* from a number of sources that a guy called David Bond Chan is very good. Ask Ray Pina on the main board about it.

You might want to have a look at David Ross' San Da class too (posts as LKFMDC on the main board) and Renzo Gracies BJJ academy.

In terms of wing chun I imagine there are a few shools to choose from. Look around and see what you like.

FooFighter
05-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Marco,

I understand how hard it is for you to look for wing chun gung fu school. If you would like to meet up in person, then I would like to invite you to work out with me and then yum cha in chinatown. I would like to exchange our experience and ideas about wing chun and martial arts in general. My skills and understanding of wing chun comes from Sifu Alan Lee (Lee Chee Kong) and from Sibak Duncan Leung. I was a short time student of Victor Parlati as well but that is in the past and now I am in no way connected to him. If our meeting sounds like a good idea, please PM me. I am giving you a chance to see what Duncan Leung and Allan Lee's wing chun looks like. I am not the best student of Sifu Allan lee or Duncan leung's wing chun, but when come to teaching and explaining their principles I am pretty darn good! I am in no way a sifu in wing chun, but after our meeting I can suggest some schools which might be better for you. If you are newbie to Wing Chun, then I can show you what to look for in Wing Chun so you wont be duped by flowery hands and fancy shoots and poor instruction!

Be well,
Bao

couch
05-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Leung Ting not bad, Jason Lau has a very good school, stay away from the made up Wing Chun Wiliam Cheung style.

I'll bite.

William Cheung didn't make his Wing Chun up. And if you've watched William Cheung's Wing Chun over the vast amount of years...it has evolved and is effective.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Keeping it non-politcal,
Kenton Sefcik ;)

cobra
05-15-2005, 09:42 PM
The Leung Ting guy in NYC is really good, go check him out for your self.

Ultimatewingchun
05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Marco:

I am still connected with Victor Parlati...because, well...

I am Victor Parlati. :D

And I've been teaching Traditional Wing Chun (William Cheung) here in NYC for 20 years (have been doing wing chun for a total of 30 years...spent my first 8 years directly under Moy Yat).

You can reach me at the following email address if you're interested in watching one of my classes: wingchun@usa.com

anerlich
05-15-2005, 11:37 PM
stay away from the made up Wing Chun Wiliam Cheung style

That's pretty funny coming from someone who made up his own identity and gave a fake address on the other thread.

Right, "Bernard"? :p

mortal
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Come check out www.sifugrados.com. His skills are amazing. There are a number of very skilled, friendly students. After reading your post, you sound like you would fit right in. We do offer some of the hardest sparring in the art of wingchun. No equipment. Pulled punches to the face, fairly hard to the body. Even though the sparring is intense and there are injury's. It is as close to actual stand up fighting as you can get. Sifu Grados also has a Blue belt in jujitsu under the machado brothers.

If you want to talk more please email me at youngmantis@hotmail.com.

Look forward to meeting you

Anthony Arrigo

FooFighter
05-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Sam,

I have been reading your treads and it appears you are trying to push some buttons. <wink> Honestly, the men here who you offended should exercise more mental control and ignore your comments. You may disagree with William Cheung's approach but you dont have to be disrespectful about it. Seriously, dude, there should not be any more political sense in the wing chun world. I doubt political wars will ever end in wing chun because as long we have power structures and money connected to it, then these petty wars and low conscious thoughts will continues to go on. As an asian american, I wondered what would happen to wing chun once all the chinamen yip man wing chun sifus has left the earth. I wondered what would happen to the power structure then? At this point, I dont care if wing chun lives or dies due to political nonsense. Because I have the faith that a few will get it. I personally dont think William Cheung's methodologies works for me, but this in itself doesnt discredit Sibak Cheung's abilities as a wing chun fighter. Both NON-TWC sifus such as Allan Lee and Duncan Leung both has verbally admitted to me that William Cheung was their idols when they were starting up in wing chun gung fu and that he was a bad arse and real deal fighter back in the day. I am no longer a TWC student, but I respect Victor Parlati and TWC in general. Respect is the cornerstone of a martial spirit. As an example of this Mo Duk, Sifu Allan Lee has advised me when I first started with him not be mad at Sifu Parlati or look down at TWC, but to look at him as a father who taught me wing chun. Your father can show you both the dark and light and it up to you to figure out the difference. "A day with a sifu, a father for a lifetime..." Strange, but I finally understand it now.

Yours in Strength,
Bao

Ultimatewingchun
05-16-2005, 08:30 AM
I appreciate your comments, Bao.

Good luck with your training.

azwingchun
05-16-2005, 08:57 AM
It is nice to see this type of attitude and respect on this forum for a change. ;)

Exydian
05-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi,

First of all I have to say thanks to the overwhelmingly great response. I will do my homework and try to find the WC system that works best for me. I have gotten some really good tips here as well as starting points and addresses.

It is interesting to see I sparked a heated discussion as well, as to which lineage is the true one. Personally, I think every martial art is an evolving and living system and there is no such thing as preserving the original state of an ancient art form. The world changes every day and with it the way we do our forms. While I do think to bear tradition in mind is important, I also think every martial art has to develop further and flow with time. If it stops moving, it dies. Just because things change doesn't mean they turn bad or false. Just as our language adapts to our modern world our Kung Fu adapts as well. It's not good or bad, it just is.

Anyway, thank you all for your great help and maybe see you soon!

Marco

Gangsterfist
05-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Here goes someone in my family in NYC.

http://www.sifugrados.com/index.shtml

He is of Augustine Fong lineage (Ho Kam Ming), and GM Fong is my sibok. I have personally touched hands with GM Fong at a seminar last year. He is definately skilled and I got a chance to work out with a lot of his intermediate and senior students down in Tucson, AZ. They were all nice people and all had some skills.

Now, for Sifu Grados, never met him personally, but I met his sifu, and have nothing but good things to say about him.

anerlich
05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Honestly, the men here who you offended should exercise more mental control and ignore your comments.

I'm from TWC lineage. The troll attempts of idiots I regard as entertainment, not offense. I responded because I enjoy battles of wits with the unarmed.

You're entitled to your opinions, but save your lectures, OK? You haven't exactly been a model poster on occasion in the past.

FooFighter
05-17-2005, 04:08 AM
Anerlich,

You do not know the complete story about me or my character. Here is the truth, it is true that I was not sincere and mature writer on this forum in the past because I had many negative emotional feelings against Victor based on what he said and done to me as a student which I will not write about. I was wrong for that and I was reminded by own moral principle to stop because it was useless, classless, and immature. Once I realized this, I dropped the habit and did not keep on attacking and being disrespectful. I didnt look to do battle with Victor or his TWC friends here. All in all, I have kept my word to Sifu Allan Lee to not waste my time here too much and to grow up. I think have matured and see things bit clearer. I have also kept my word to Victor in private that I will not attack him and I will leave him alone. I think I have honored that so far. It is funny, dude, but you do not know the whole story between me or Victor but yet you will side with your kin (TWC) regardless like a good student of TWC in my opinion. It doesnt matter now and I do not have anything else to say about this. Currently, I have moved away from Wing Chun and could care less who is wrong or right in WC. I am doing my own thing and I am happy. Here is the proof of this: I am not addicted to this forum and I do not stress much premium on this kind of stuff.

Ultimatewingchun
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Let me try to mediate this a bit, if I may...

Yes, it's true that Bao and I have come to an understanding privately about not badmouthing each other, and we've pretty much kept to that.

But this guy who posts under the name Samson is also a story that YOU may not know about, Bao.

He's a real troll clown who tries to talk 5hit all the time about wing chun in general, and about some people and lineages in particular (ie.-William Cheung/TWC).

Furthermore, some of us know who he really is...but he lies about it.

He's a disgruntled ex-student of another TWC instructor located in Detroit.

FooFighter
05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Victor,

Thanks for stepping in. I understand your point of view and Sam or whoever this person may be is not worth the time and energy in trying to prove him wrong. It wont change him nor will it convince anyone here that the past is dead. It is clear that people still hold negative charged images and feelings about past. Let it go. I have nothing against Sam or those like him. I can also relate to his point of view and feelings as well. I think we all have bad experiences with martial arts teachers or our own fathers. Granted, some of us dont go out of our way to attack our own fathers, instructors, or traditions but in my opinion if you mistreat a student or dont amend/prevent one bad apple, then you truly lost the moral of the physical gung fu culture and have forsaken the future vision of your art. Moreover, if we all sincerely want to transcend the political mess between families, then let us ignore these low conscious people's comments and focus on those who are doing productive things in the name of WC. Honestly, I totally agreed with you Victor that WC needs get back to its originally roots which is "application" and stay on course of this path. Forget the Samsons in the forums.

Bao

anerlich
05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
It is funny, dude, but you do not know the whole story between me or Victor but yet you will side with your kin (TWC) regardless like a good student of TWC in my opinion.

I wasn't siding with Victor, I took issue with your moralising about my and other people's behaviour on the forum, a role for which you are underqualified.

You do not know the complete story about me or my character.

I didn't give a toss, your life story just isn't that interesting.

FooFighter
05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
anerlich,

I took in your comments and thanks for your two cents. Best to you and your loved ones.

Bao

Sam
05-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Hey Foofighter don't confuse Sam with Samson, I have respect for everyone who respects me, my Sifu, and lineage. Marco you can check out James Cama Sifu who is located at 555 5th Ave. Brooklyn NY 718 692-2281. Mon. & Wed. 8:00 to 10:00
http://www.futsaoyongchunkuen.com/

DAT
05-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Miguel Hernandez Brooklyn, NY is the best and he is close. Please contact Moy Yat HQ and they can give you his contact info. If you don't get it come back to me. Please if you want to understand VingTsun from the ground up and use it successfully please please contact this man. You are very fortunate to have moved to Brooklyn HE IS THE MAN! :D