PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for eating healthier

sk8fool
05-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I eat tooo much crap food. Lots of fast food burgers. I'm so used to it I needs some ideas for eating healthier and am contemplating vegitarianism for now. That would be a way to wipe out the greasy burgers and what not. I am not overweight (25 years old 6' 150lbs) although I get heartburn also it is better for my body and qi.

Vash
05-15-2005, 04:56 PM
1. Stop Eating Garbage.

2. Eat More Vegetables, Fruits, Lean Meats (red, fish, and poultry - not fried, either)

3. Repeat as necessary.

BibitClerus
05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
first, man
you gotta see whats avalible to you
do you eat out? mcdonalds and such?
what are the other restaurants around? any cool buffet with lots of variable stuff around?
do you like fish? tuna?
is there any veggie you like the most?

littlelaugh
05-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I would start by cutting out all processed/fast/franken foods. After eating this way for a while you can see how you feel; how your heartburn is doing. If you are still feeling yuck you can eliminate from there.

The best way to stick to a diet change like this is to make sure that you stock up on healthy foods before you start. Go shopping and get easy things if you don't have a lot of time or will for cooking. Scope out restaurants in your area for healthy options.

Easy to prepare things that have helped me are: baby carrots in a bag, salad in a bag, bulk nuts and dried fruit, tuna in a pouch (no mess), peanut butter, etc. I also will cook ahead easy things like hard boiled eggs or a pack of chicken breasts. Just slap a little olive oil and salt on the chicken, cook and store in fridge. For lunch I would put salad in a tupperware thingy with chicken breast on top to take to work and put salad dressing on just before eating. Also, one of my favorite meals is just an apple and peanut butter sandwich. I would keep a loaf of whole wheat bread and a jar of pb at work. You are more likely to make good choices if the food is easy and at hand.

Also think about the fact that eating vegetarian doesn't automatically mean healthy or healthy for you. Listen to your body and if you do go veg make sure you are getting sufficient protein. Wheat meat (seitan) is a great thing.

Cheers,

Laugh

sk8fool
05-15-2005, 07:52 PM
thanks for the advice. I do like fish and tuna(not to thrilled on salmon though) and pb also. Yea the junk food is definately one of my downfalls. Easy to prepare foods, and cooking ahead of time will also help with my schedule. Atleast untill I get used to the change. My main goal right now would be to cut out the fast food and start bringing healty lunches to work.

Vasquez
05-16-2005, 05:53 AM
1. Stop Eating Garbage.

2. Eat More Vegetables, Fruits, Lean Meats (red, fish, and poultry - not fried, either)

3. Repeat as necessary.

LOL I see you don't eat carbs.

Chief Fox
05-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Go to http://www.fitday.com, set up a free account and start tracking your meals. Within a few days you will see all the bad food you're eating. Then find healthy replacements for those foods and you will be on your way.

ewallace
05-16-2005, 07:58 AM
LOL I see you don't eat carbs.
Interesting, I was unaware that there are no carbohydrates in fruit. :rolleyes:

Reggie1
05-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Something that I did that was really easy is to cut WAY down on processed foods.

Go to Subway or a sandwich place instead of getting fast food. If you do go eat fast food, find the low-fat option on the menu.

Eat brown rice instead of white. Eat 100% whole wheat bread instead of white.

And what Vash said--eat lean meat, and eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies.

whitefox
05-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Something that I did that was really easy is to cut WAY down on processed foods.

Go to Subway or a sandwich place instead of getting fast food. If you do go eat fast food, find the low-fat option on the menu.

Eat brown rice instead of white. Eat 100% whole wheat bread instead of white.

And what Vash said--eat lean meat, and eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies.

Good posts.

If you like chicken here is a tip if you want to cut down on the time it takes to cook. Just take it from the freezer and put it into a pot of boiling water it for about ten minutes give or take, then spray pam with non stick cooking spray and bake your chicken with whatever seasonings you like. Just watch out for the sodium content of you spices. Doing this saves me a few minutes when i'm in a rush. Just make sure to get skinless, boneless chicken breast. :)

ewallace
05-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Another idea, and this is a personal preference, not scientifically proven (or information provided to me by my master :D ) for success, is to make gradual changes as opposed to just undergoing a drastic change in diet. Like "they" say it takes approx. 19 days for something to become a habit. For instance, I cannot stand non-diet soda now, because it makes me feel rather bloated. Of course diet sodas aren't that much better for you, but if you drink soda on a regular basis I have found it's much easier to go to diet and then none at all as opposed to cold turkey. To each his own I guess.

I too was subjected to a regular diet of fast-food because of work/family schedule, with a few dashes of laziness. After certain circumstances, I began to cook more, and eventually it led to a real noticible difference in the way my body felt after eating some greasy nasty food as opposed to a good home-cooked meal. Not only that, but it took less to cook/prepare than it would have to drive anywhere to pick something up, and a lot of the food I used to eat makes me feel somewhat ill now. Lunch is probably the most difficult for me. I usually either don't eat it, go to Subway, or pickup a real (ie: big thick meat) burger as those places are within walking distance. I also need to get back into the swing of cooking more portions at night and bringing that food to work the next day. But I admit that I am a left-over dodger, as well as a salad dodger.

A lot of diet problems relate to routines and habits just as much as bad food itself. I personally have adopted the slogan "don't go on a diet, change your diet". Of course this does not apply to specialized cutting or mass-building diets.

littlelaugh
05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
I agree, ewallace. It's much better to "change your diet" than go on one. For me I call it a lifestyle change. It's a change in how you think about what you're eating and how you treat yourself: mind, body and soul.

One of my biggest changes has been giving up sugar. It's my demon. It's been about 4 years now. When I stopped, I instantly felt like a new person and people around me noticed how much happier I was. I endulge every once in a while, but know that it can never part of my lifestyle again.

Vasquez
05-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Another idea, and this is a personal preference, not scientifically proven (or information provided to me by my master :D ) for success, is to make gradual changes as opposed to just undergoing a drastic change in diet. Like "they" say it takes approx. 19 days for something to become a habit. For instance, I cannot stand non-diet soda now, because it makes me feel rather bloated. Of course diet sodas aren't that much better for you, but if you drink soda on a regular basis I have found it's much easier to go to diet and then none at all as opposed to cold turkey. To each his own I guess.

I too was subjected to a regular diet of fast-food because of work/family schedule, with a few dashes of laziness. After certain circumstances, I began to cook more, and eventually it led to a real noticible difference in the way my body felt after eating some greasy nasty food as opposed to a good home-cooked meal. Not only that, but it took less to cook/prepare than it would have to drive anywhere to pick something up, and a lot of the food I used to eat makes me feel somewhat ill now. Lunch is probably the most difficult for me. I usually either don't eat it, go to Subway, or pickup a real (ie: big thick meat) burger as those places are within walking distance. I also need to get back into the swing of cooking more portions at night and bringing that food to work the next day. But I admit that I am a left-over dodger, as well as a salad dodger.

A lot of diet problems relate to routines and habits just as much as bad food itself. I personally have adopted the slogan "don't go on a diet, change your diet". Of course this does not apply to specialized cutting or mass-building diets.

Atkins diet is good - load up on protein but I would detox every few weeks

Reggie1
05-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Atkins diet is good - load up on protein but I would detox every few weeks

Atikins really isn't a diet for martial artists. If you work out a lot, avoid Atkins. Besides, Atkins isn't natural. The guy isn't looking to lose 10 lbs. He's looking to eat healthier.

Vasquez
05-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Atikins really isn't a diet for martial artists. If you work out a lot, avoid Atkins. Prolonged time on Atkins can be murder on your kidneys.

LOL that's why you need to detox!

Reggie1
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
*sigh*

I'm getting tired of this. Vasquez, why don't you do us a favor?

#1. Read every post before you reply.
#2. Read EVERYTHING in each post before you reply.

Atkins still isn't a good diet for ANY martial artist who trains regularly, OR for someone who eats only junk food and is trying to eat a healthier diet. Your 'advice' is wrong.

sk8fool
05-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I've noticed that I'm substituting greasy fast food for sugary snacks. That will probably be a harder habit to cut out. And pizza, that I dont see myself every stopping eating. Although I could cut back on it because $20+ a night for dinner can get expen$ive. Not that there isn't other ways to spend alot of money on food. And about the atkins diet I dont need to lose any weight, probably if anything gain 5 or 10 lbs. And as I see it is carbs for athletes is a good thing. carbs = energy right?

Mikkyou
05-19-2005, 04:48 AM
If you have Heartburn try eliminating all foods with that have been fried. Using the drug Nexum is excellent for Heartburn but for a more natural apporach try mixing Papaya with some yogurt.
You should be consuming about 9servings of fruits and veggies a day and it would be a good start to intake a good amount of fiber to keep your stomach and bowels clear.Also you should be drinking more water and cut out all processed drinks esp soda,beer,and hard liquior.Eating a handful of cookies now and then
is not going to kill you(unless your 150yr old never ate sweets then it might true story)As for being a Vegetarian it has its good points and drawbacks.Try it see how you like it but do not use it as an excuse to eat anything that is not meat(candy,potato chips)

Carbohyrdates are a main source of energy in the diet(we can go into a long discussion about carbs there role how they are formed but I don't think it is nessecary)

littlelaugh
05-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Well it's calories = energy ;)

Refined sugars and starches will raise your blood sugar pretty fast so you feel it right away. Unfortunately, your body may release a lot of insulin right away too and that's when you get that sugar crash.

Eating whole grains and other carby things that take longer for you body to break down in combination witha nice amount of protein and fat, will make for steadier blood sugar which in turn helps keep an even energy level thougout the day. No afternoon blahs, or must-take-nap type urges.

Cheers,

Laugh

PS Try whole wheat crust. :p

fa_jing
05-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I take it you don't cook - something I've found that can substitute for fast food is hungarian salami or something like that. It seems expensive but your burger is actually more expensive. It could still give you heartburn, though, but it isn't as greasy overall.

fa_jing
05-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Man I feel sorry for you guys that don't live near Mexican supermarkets, around here you can get a charcoal roasted whole chicken for under $10, or you could get carnitas or whatever.

littlelaugh
05-19-2005, 10:38 AM
I take it you don't cook - something I've found that can substitute for fast food is hungarian salami or something like that. It seems expensive but your burger is actually more expensive. It could still give you heartburn, though, but it isn't as greasy overall. Fa_jing, I love hungarian salami, but at last year my deli said that they couldn't get it anymore because of some US ban. I guess this must not be true anymore?

ewallace
05-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Man I feel sorry for you guys that don't live near Mexican supermarkets, around here you can get a charcoal roasted whole chicken for under $10, or you could get carnitas or whatever.
My whole city is pretty much a Mexican supermarket. Well, at least the mom&pop stores. :)

sk8fool
05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
mmm carna preperala
'q that ish up and eat it with a flour tortila
thats good eats there

Hendrik
05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Honestly, this is a good book and it can safe lots of people.

Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search/all;_ylt=Ajhf3OtpBUeS9s2xoyliJuoCyNsA;_ylu=X3oDMTB kdDZ1ZHBvBHNlYwNwcm9kdGl0bGU-?p=Physicians+Committee+for+Responsible+Medicine&mid=1

peace

Vasquez
05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
*sigh*

I'm getting tired of this. Vasquez, why don't you do us a favor?

#1. Read every post before you reply.
#2. Read EVERYTHING in each post before you reply.

Atkins still isn't a good diet for ANY martial artist who trains regularly, OR for someone who eats only junk food and is trying to eat a healthier diet. Your 'advice' is wrong.

Is that so. Gene Ching would have a few things to say about this. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=521

It is the traditional way to get strong - eat meat!!!!!!!!!!