PDA

View Full Version : Facing the east...

sk8fool
05-15-2005, 08:50 PM
I have not much experience with meditation so far. Although while reading about kung fu there are some meditative poses that require you to face the east. Would this have to do with the way the sun rises and falls/way the earth rotates. The sun apears to rise from the east and travel west, so did the monks who created the forms face the east to absorb the powers of the sun as it passed, or travel with the earth? I don't recall which forms I'm thinking of that required facing the east, although it's something to ponder, no?

qiphlow
05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
i was always taught to face south--the magnetic pull of the north supposedly mis-aligns your cells...
don't know if there's any hard science to that, but i've been facing south with no problems.
also, if you're going by feng shui, each year the energy changes, so there will be a direction that is very bad for you, a very good direction, and neutral directions--you should consult with a feng shui master if you want to get into that. it can be complicated.
i think that whatever feels right is good for you--but check with your teacher, too.

shen_lung_yi
05-18-2005, 05:30 AM
:)
Of course my instructor says to face the South when doing static meditations and then face the north while doing moving meditations. Of course it deals with yin/yang polarities internally and externally.

All the best,

Ian

sk8fool
08-20-2005, 09:13 PM
while reading I came across a section where it says to face east during the day to absorb the qi from the sun during meditation. And at night to face south (while in the northern hemisphere, and north while in the southern) to absorb the qi from the earth and its magnetic field.
root of chinese qigong, dr yang jwing ming