PDA

View Full Version : Eagle's Claw Question...

Ao Qin
05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if those from an Eagle Claw lineage can help me with some questions;

First, why is the "eagle claw" technique done with only the thumb and first two fingers? What are the advantages of this grip to that of say the Tiger Claw or Dragon Claw (all fingers - with the wrist in different positions)?

From what I understand from my own style (Lung Ying / Bak Mei) which also employs this grip (e.g. Lung Ying Ying Jow and Stone Lion), is that it is used to cut off air and / or restrict blood (e.g. throat), or twist muscle / joints / control arms, or hit and squeeze vital points (e.g. under armpit).

What I am more curious about however, is how it is used to grip another's hand. For example, one technique I was shown, was that if someone much larger and stronger than yourself was trying to crush your hand during a handshake, all you had to do to neutralize the pressure was assume this "eagle claw" position (first two fingers to either side of the opponents wrist). Even if you stay relaxed, he will have a hard time breaking the fingers in your hand. If you are more skilled with some digitial strength, you can press into the nerves of his wrist, causing numbness & pain, while controlling the hand as well.

So...what I am wondering is in essence how this technique evolved, and what is the theory behind it. Also, does it "mean" anything special aside from the technical aspect to Eagle Claw stylists (e.g. symbolism / metaphor within the art)?

Thank you for all replies!

Ao Qin

Starchaser107
05-16-2005, 07:08 PM
have fun

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35684