PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever trained with a "Dead" Dummy?

Sihing73
08-21-2000, 01:08 AM
Hello All,

I was curious as to whether anyone has ever trained with a Dead Dummy as opposed to a Live one. I am playing with the idea of placing a Dead Dummy in my yard and was curious if anyone else has ever played with this type. I know it will develope a slightly different type of power/force.

I also have been in contact with a Sum Neng Wing Chun man in Australia and he sent me a drawing of a "Spring Dummy". Interesting looking contraption /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It has 9, yes 9 arms which extend from the front and are made, idealy, out of bamboo. Apparently when struck the various arms spring back and can become unpredictable. When I get a chance I will give this one a try as well.

I would appreciate any input. I am thinking of forming the trunk for the Dead Dummy out of PCV pipe as it is easier to cut and work with and will withstand the elements better. A good portion of the dummy will be buried underground.

Thanks,

Dave

FUJIYakumo
08-21-2000, 03:35 AM
can you get an old power pole/light pole?
these things are already set for being 'planted'... and often are very cheap if you can source them (obviously not brand new!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Sihing73
08-21-2000, 04:38 AM
FUJIYakumo,

Gave some thought to obtaining an old telphone pole. Only problem is the stuff they use to treat them can be very nasty and can make you sick. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I figured PVC would be okay but I would need to fill most of it with cement to wieght it properly. I would also have some sort of tube or such (squared) for the arms so the cement would form around them but still allow the arms to be placed in and out. I would use traditional wooden arms I just need to be careful how I cut. Still, not a bad idea bout the light poles. They would last for a while /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks,

Dave

08-25-2000, 06:40 PM
A friend in Atlanta had a tree in his back yard that got topped out by a lightning strike, so he took the remaining trunk and converted it into a planted dummy. With a root system, it WOULD NOT move. I'm sure you would get used to it, but I personally like the tactile feedback of motion in a dummy. Have no idea what the planted dummy would do re energy, but I would suspect there would be differences.

Last time I talked with the guys at Great Lion Co (woodendummy.net) they were working on spring arms that could be slotted into any standard dummy. Southern Mantis uses spring arms on its dummy, but there are good and bad points to using such things.