PDA

View Full Version : Bicarbonate and sprints

AndrewS
05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Nice little study. . .

May 13, 2005 — Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion improves prolonged intermittent sprint performance, according to the results of a small randomized trial published in the May issue of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.

"Previous studies have shown that induced metabolic alkalosis, via sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion, can improve short-term, repeated-sprint ability," write David Bishop, PhD, from the University of Western Australia in Crawley, and colleagues. "It was hypothesized that NaHCO3 ingestion would enhance the performance of the prolonged intermittent-sprint test (IST).

In this study, seven female team-sport athletes ingested two doses of either 0.2 g/kg of NaHCO3 or 0.138 g/kg of NaCl (placebo), in a double-blind, random, counterbalanced order, 90 and 20 minutes before performing the IST on a cycle ergometer. Mean age was 19 ± 1 years, and mean peak oxygen consumption (VO2peak) was 45.3 ± 3.1 mL/kg per minute. The IST consisted of two 36-minute halves of repeated blocks approximately two minutes long: all-out four-second sprint, 100 seconds of active recovery at 35% Vo2peak, and 20 seconds of rest. Subjects provided capillary blood samples drawn from the earlobe before ingestion, and before, during, and after each half of the IST. Throughout the IST, VO2peak was also recorded at regular intervals.

Mean plasma bicarbonate concentration (HCO3-) was 22.6 ± 0.9 mmol/L at rest, and at 90 minutes after ingestion it was 21.4 ± 1.5 mmol/L for placebo and 28.9 ± 2.8 mmol/L for NaHCO3 (P < .05). Plasma HCO3- during the NaHCO3 condition remained significantly higher throughout the IST compared with both placebo and preingestion. After NaHCO3 ingestion, there was a trend toward improved total work in the second (P = .08), but not first, half of the IST. After NaHCO3 ingestion, study subjects also completed significantly more work in seven of 18 second-half four-second sprints.

"The results of this study suggest that NaHCO3 ingestion can improve intermittent-sprint performance and may be a useful supplement for team-sport athletes," the authors write. "The preexercise ingestion of NaHCO3 affected a significant increase in the extracellular [HCO3-] and improved the performance of the IST."

Med Science Sports Exerc.2005;37:759-767

Toby
05-20-2005, 08:13 PM
That's my university ;). You'd think that the participants would be able to tell the difference between
... doses of either 0.2 g/kg of NaHCO3 or 0.138 g/kg of NaCl (placebo)...I mean, for my body weight it's ~20g NaHCO3 and ~13g salt. I'm pretty sure that that much salt and that much sodium bicarb will taste different :p. I might give this a try next HIIT session. I've heard about it before, maybe through the university. So AndrewS, from a medical perspective are there side effects of ingesting large doses of NaHCO3? Also, they mentioned they had two doses at 90min and at 20min - was it 0.2g/kg both times or 0.2g/kg total?

mickey
05-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Toby,

I see you like to try things.

On this one, I humbly suggest that you take a roll of toilet paper with you to your HIIT session. It may come in handy.

mickey

Toby
05-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Lol! Thanks for the advice mickey.

David Jamieson
05-22-2005, 09:59 AM
long and short of it is:

Lactic acid build up in the muscles makes it difficult for said muscles to perform at peak.

Sodium bicarbonate is a neutralizer when it comes to acid.

neutralize the lactic acid and the muscles keep performing.

long distance cyclists and runners have known this for some time.

AndrewS
05-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey Toby,

I'll get back to you on the bicarbonate thing- I need to look through some resources, and there is a ridiculous amount of material out on NaHCO3.

Andrew

Toby
05-23-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that that much salt and that much sodium bicarb will taste different :p.I had particularly hard MA training last night, so to recover I tried alternating hot/cold shower and some bicarb. I was wrong, it's actually pretty salty. Pure powder was almost impossible to "eat". It instantly caked up my mouth. More of it would've made it hard to breathe. I ended up mixing most of it in a small amount of water, which tasted salty but not too bad. All up I had about a level tbsp. I thought I'd take it easy given mickey's warning ;). Did it work? Who knows. The hot/cold shower felt better on my legs and today I'm sore anyway (which I knew I would be). It's something I might try again, but not regularly. Only if I know in advance I'm in for a tough session.