PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Thai boxers out there

Reggie1
05-18-2005, 11:35 AM
This came up when I was sparring yesterday. Whenever I would try a roundhouse kick, I would come from more of a wide angle (open the kicking leg slightly then swing the leg around to the target). In our school we are taught to bring our leg straight up and THEN roll the hip over for a roundhouse.

How do Thai boxers execute a roundhouse kick?

I see the point of bringing the leg up, then around, because in sparring yesterday I kept leaving my groin open when I would roundhouse. But we were in a fairly close range, too (just outside clinch range). Is the Thai roundhouse mostly used as a ranged attack?

truewrestler
05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
As I understand it the leg during the thai roundhouse is a single weapon that you swing. The leg is basically in the same position through the entire kick with power coming from the hip.

Edit: The leg stays near straight the entire time--with a common analogy comparing the leg to a baseball bat. I believe as far as the turning the hip over...that is done early during the kick. I'm no expert after only a few months so someone else might be able to give you more info and differences between thai and chambered kicks.

SevenStar
05-18-2005, 12:54 PM
the kicking leg steps out at an angle. you lean, putting your weight on that foot - it ensures that your momentum is forward and not backward. It also moves you out of the way of the right cross, which is a common counter to the roundhouse. The kicking leg comes straight off the ground and as the hip turns over, it cuts into the target.

The only time I open the hip to kick is with the lead leg, if I don't feel like doing a switch kick. Opening the hip gives you room to close and turn over your hip, getting more power into the lead leg kick.

SevenStar
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Edit: The leg stays near straight the entire time--with a common analogy comparing the leg to a baseball bat. I believe as far as the turning the hip over...that is done early during the kick. I'm no expert after only a few months so someone else might be able to give you more info and differences between thai and chambered kicks.

chambered kicks don't turn the hip over the same way - they are snapping kicks. chambered kicks are more like a whip, whereas the thai kick is more like a baseball bat.

Reggie1
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks Seven. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I really prefer to roundhouse more like a Thai boxer (you dang Thai boxers and your effectiveness ;) ).

So what about the range? Do you rh to the leg when you are in punching range? Or do you move in more to infight / clinch?

SevenStar
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
IMO, it's a punching range technique, mainly. The striking area is around the middle of the shin - any lower down and you are hitting with the lower shin and the instep, which are weaker parts of the leg. To set up a clinch, I generally use punches.

Reggie1
05-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.