PDA

View Full Version : Golden Harmony Kung Fu in Warrenton (?) VA?

SelkieDoula
05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know of this school? Google hit on a school in Ontario, but the one I'm curious about is in VA...Warrenton, I think. I was told about it through the grapevine, and should have more info tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here might know something. Apparently, they specialize in praying mantis, but that's all I know right now.

TIA,
MA mom

Three Harmonies
05-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Never heard of it, but make sure it is not the Golden Shower Shaolin school of death! :p ;) :D

Excuse my smart-ass-isity! Or not! ;)
Jake

Radplaiddude
05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
There is a tai chi mantis school in arlington. The Sifu is a knowledgable vietnamese gentleman.

SelkieDoula
05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
No, definitely not Arlington, lol! I live way outside the beltway, and this school is supposedly on my end of VA. Could be that the informer had the name wrong. I'll be sure and post when I know what's what, but in the meantime if anyone knows of a kung fu school in Warrenton or near there let me know. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

MA mom

Oso
05-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Instructor's Name? or anything else?

I'm guessing that you aren't near Tacoma Park MD? There is a good teacher there.

SelkieDoula
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Looks like the Golden Harmony in Ontario is the head school; this one in VA is a branch or something. So, I'm going to search more in depth on the Ontario site, but I should be getting contact info today, anyway. It'll be interesting. I'm not sure if I'll switch my son's school, but if this one works out the commute will be a helluva lot easier on us. Thanks again to everyone.

MA mom

ninjaboy
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
i've known the teacher in ontario personally since about 1986/87...his name is rupert harvey. highly skilled, very kind and very down to earth. as memory serves, i believe one of his students is american and has been training with rupert for some time. to be honest, if the school has rupert's stamp of approval on it, you can't go wrong. check it out. if you have more specific questions, contact them directly and i am sure they will give you any information you need.

sincerely,
neil

SelkieDoula
05-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi Neil, our brains must have synched yesterday because I decided to email Sifu Harvey while I was on the Ontario website. I got a reply this morning. His student, Gordon Wicks, is the one in Warrenton who I should contact, and I got his phone number. I don't know why I didn't think to try that from the beginning...

Anyway, thanks again. I am intrigued. I'll be sure and post an update after I've observed a class.

MA mom