PDA

View Full Version : Where to learn Wing Chun in Shenzhen, China

Ghostwalker
05-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi,
I've done a bit of studying of Wing Chun in the UK, and although I'm not very good, it is something I really enjoy. It makes me feel like I can give myself a fighting chance in a real situation. I'm off to China (Shenzhen) on June 13th, and I 'm thinking what better place to really get better. What I can't find is places to train.
Hong Kong isn't far away but it's too much to go there regularly. There must be schools there as it's supposed to be highly popular.
Does anyone know of any there? I've seen an ad there for Brazilian Ju jitsu, I might take a look if i really can't find a Wing Chun school that will accept a westerner.

Any advice much appreciated.

Paul Bishop

Paul T England
05-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi,

None of the lineages are based in Shenzhen but you might find student groups. If you are serious about wing chun look for Lun Gai, Kwok Gai Jan and others in foshan or manybe check out Sung Nams people in Canton.

Paul

CFT
05-25-2005, 04:59 AM
None of the lineages are based in Shenzhen but you might find student groups. If you are serious about wing chun look for Lun Gai, Kwok Gai Jan and others in foshan or manybe check out Sung Nams people in Canton.

PaulPaul, I take it that you mean "Sum Nung"?

nojack
05-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Is just an fyi.

WCK in China is different than WCK in Hong Kong, as far as I know. There is a guy from Hong Kong who is working in a hotel in China somewhere, may be you can find the information from Hong Kong WCK Association if possible, he is a disciples of Leung Sheung lineage, name Danny Chi Tak Lui, can speak English and is very good in WCK, he gear towards offense than defense in WCK, even Kenneth Chung (if you know who he is) of San Francisco, will bring his Students and travel to China to pay Danny Lui a visit, just to have him to give a short seminar. I have seen him in action on tape, he fast and good, very clean move.

May be you can check with Kenneth Chung of San Francisco(search online his website) to find out where Danny Lui is now.

p.s. Don't know whether he will teach Westerner or not though.

nojack

kj
05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Is just an fyi.

WCK in China is different than WCK in Hong Kong, as far as I know. There is a guy from Hong Kong who is working in a hotel in China somewhere, may be you can find the information from Hong Kong WCK Association if possible, he is a disciples of Leung Sheung lineage, name Danny Chi Tak Lui, can speak English and is very good in WCK, he gear towards offense than defense in WCK, even Kenneth Chung (if you know who he is) of San Francisco, will bring his Students and travel to China to pay Danny Lui a visit, just to have him to give a short seminar. I have seen him in action on tape, he fast and good, very clean move.

May be you can check with Kenneth Chung of San Francisco(search online his website) to find out where Danny Lui is now.

I don't know the location or the exact class arrangement, but to the best of my knowledge Danny ("Ah Dak") still trains and teaches in conjunction with one of his and Ken's mutual classmates ("Ah Cheung" ... I don't recall his full name). I am not aware of any public listing for their classes, and suspect they may be difficult to locate without some assistance. If anyone has a sincere interest to look him up, feel free to contact me and I'll aim to help.

You are right, he is highly knowledgeable and very capable. Very crisp, precise, clean, and scary. ;)

p.s. Don't know whether he will teach Westerner or not though.

nojack

I have met Ah Dak and see no issue whatsoever in that regard. FWIW his English is excellent.

Regards,
- kj

Paul T England
05-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Chee,

Sorry I did mean Sum Nung, my chinese is getting worse or is it my memory!

Paul

stimulant
05-26-2005, 02:33 AM
Mr bishop.....

if you get beaten in fighting or sparing is it called bashing the bishop???

sorry...couldnt resist!!