PDA

View Full Version : My Training Method [Choy Lay Fut]

Infrazael
05-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone, I would like to get some feedback. I have finally figured out a training routine for myself, after trying out various different routines.

If you think I should improve my time or the way I do it, feel free to put in any thoughts. I'm mostly training to prepare for fights and self-defense. I am not a performer, as I practice my kung fu purely for the purposes of combat, not giving a show to others (however if my Sifu does want me to do any forms for performance, I will gladly do it).

I am not currently in class, therefore this is my routine for practicing at home 7 days a week. When I get back to class my rountine will have to change.

Anyways, here is my schedule

Mondays --

40 knuckle diving-pushups, 20 knuckle pushups, 20 finger pushups.
100 crunches
80 roundhouse kicks, 80 side kicks, 80 front push kicks.
200 Fan Jongs with 10-pound dumbells, 300 Fan Jongs empty-handed.

Tuesday --

1 hour 15 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 15 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

1 hour of jogging.

50 knuckle pushups, 50 crunches, 15 minutes of stance training.

Wednesday--

1 hour 30 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 30 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

Thursday --

40 knuckle diving-pushups, 20 knuckle pushups, 20 finger pushups.
100 crunches
80 roundhouse kicks, 80 side kicks, 80 front push kicks.
200 Fan Jongs with 10-pound dumbells, 300 Fan Jongs empty-handed.

Friday --

1 hour 15 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 15 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

1 hour of jogging.

Saturday--

1 hour 30 minutes of heavy bagwork -- counts as part of forearm conditioning. I mostly use CLF techniques of the 10 seeds and practice various combinations/drills on the heavy back I have in my back yard.

1 hour 30 minutes of applications, techniques, and drills. These include parts of forms broken down and practiced individually, specific combinations taught to me by Sifu, and other drills.

Sunday--

Now, you may see that form practice is not PART of my actual, written routine, but I will go over them throughout the week when I have spare time, like do them in sets of 2-3 when I have small breaks between homework, TV, etc, etc. So I do go over my forms, not neglect them.

Thanks alot for any input.

ricksitterly
05-20-2005, 09:01 PM
that's a pretty intense training schedule... assuming you bring a certain intesity TO it. :) seriously though it sounds as if you're in great MA shape. My only problem with training schedules like that is that i become burned out after a period of several months of so much training. Keep it up

Starchaser107
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
sounds pretty cool, what are fan jongs???,
at the very least you should have very strong arms and good kicks eh?

Vash
05-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Why knuckle pushups?

stubbs
05-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Nice intensity. Have you got any specific training goals at the moment? I would have at least one rest day. If you get a little niggle one day then it'll just carry over to the next and it'll probably never heal properly.

As seen as you're already doing a lot of cardio/conditioning from your bag work etc. I think you could make better use of that one hour jogging slot. Interval training maybe?
________
Fe Engine (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_FE_engine)

FngSaiYuk
05-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Why knuckle pushups?
I've always used knuckle pushups as one of my wrist strengtheners... keep a punch straight & solid & all that...

One armed knuckle pushups, esp.

Infrazael
05-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I think I'm going to take 1 day off of the week, otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to overtrain and not get as good results as I want to.

Fann Jongs are like choy lay fut uppercuts, they are alot wider and bigger than normal ones (it works out everything from the neck, back, shouder to biceps pretty much).

As seen as you're already doing a lot of cardio/conditioning from your bag work etc. I think you could make better use of that one hour jogging slot. Interval training maybe?

I might change jogging to lifting more weights. . . . or stance training.

Still trying to decide how I should improve.

SevenStar
05-22-2005, 09:38 PM
my only flag is with your bag work. One thing I've noticed is that when people say I'm gonna go 1hr and 15 mins of bagwork" or some other excessive number, the intensity level is low - they pace themselves so that they can last the entire duration. Depending on what you are training for, that may be a bad thing. For example, if you were training for a ring fight, then that would be the wrong way to go about bag training.

I would add some legwork in somewhere - your only real leg training comes from kicking the bag and stance training. I'd add some plyometrics twice a week or so, but that's just me.