PDA

View Full Version : double daggers

holymantis
05-21-2005, 07:35 AM
hi all,
could anyone give any info to when and by who the dagger set was introduced.

regards holymantis

K.Brazier
05-23-2005, 12:25 AM
You talking about the Wah Lum set?
If so, I would say it has no relationship to mantis.
Sadly, as I learned this set, I must say that this set also has no relationship to any type of movement you would do in a somewhat realistic training session.

There are folks who train single and double knife fighting drills and there is no match to the excitment of this wah lum form.

BTW, the stuff I have seen is similar to open hand training of mantis, small world .

Paul T England
05-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Hi Holymantis,

I don't know when it was introduced to the system but we have a Double Daggers set, Empty hand v Double Daggers and spear V Double Daggers sets.

Are you from Sifu Michael Lee's school? Do you have a short double daggers set?

I have not had the opportunity to learn the double daggers set yet but from what I have seen in the lee Kam Wing system it is a short set done in 4 directions? and it has a couple of nice mantis moves in the set.

Paul Tennet

German Bai Lung
05-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Doubledaggers in our Lineage are mostly short sets.
The doubledaggers solo form goes in 4 directions and introduce some nice stabbing, cutting and short slicing moves. But it is a short one.
Donīt know if this is in any relation to mantis, I doubt it.

The Doubledaggers against hand is even shorter and only 3 roads long. Only repetitions and some sweeps. finishing with locks you would never do against Daggers.

A really nice and interesting set is the Doubledagger against spear Set. Its very dynamically and got some surprising new moves in it.

yu shan
05-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Art D`Agostino taught me the Wah Lum double dagger set. It is an exciting set to train and good to perform at shows. The form has changed over the years, I guess it is evolving! ;) It is not an easy set, difficult aerials to execute.

Also learned double daggers vs empty hand, another nice set! It always seemed like I got "stuck" doing the empty hand side, scars to prove. I was told that Master Chan`s brother Nelson introduced this form into Wah Lum.

If I play my cards right, I hope to learn a double dagger vs spear.

holymantis
05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
hi Paul T England,
yes i was part of sifu Micheal Lee's club a few year's ago.
but not anymore.
the double dagger set i am asking about is the one v empty hands.
i saw it on a film clip some time ago from hong kong and liked the way the dagger v hand was played. and wanted to know how long it has been in the 7 star system?.
did not know about the double daggers v spear?.

regards to you :cool: all holymantis

18elders
05-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Yu Shan, at least it wasnt' a long cut :)
More like a nice hole in the arm!! Luckily i was always the dagger side, no holes in my arms!!!
But i guess i have the wrong side on spear vs. broadsword, a few stabs in the side on that one

Paul T England
05-24-2005, 02:12 AM
Hi holymantis,

If you don't mind me asking who do you train with now?

I have done both the empty hand v daggers and spear v daggers in the lee kam wing system and both are very nice sets. I have not done the daggers set alone. The double daggers v empty hands can be practical but the moves have to be adjusted a little and should be more dynamic. I like to break the form down and train the individual moves against the dagger.

Paul