PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts to learning?

anerlich
05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
In the interests of further postponing the alleged "slow death of the forum" ...

As the Buddhists who frequent this forum might say, thus I have heard ...

A longtime MA instructor of my acquaintance began teaching knife and baton combatives to his students after being appointed as an instructor in that discipline. The style was fairly heavily FMA-based, with 12 angles of attack and 8 of defense (or mor accurately, counterattack). He was surprised at how rapidly the students picked up the techniques and how quickly they began to use them effectively, compared to the rate he was used to where students were trained in a traditional CMA the traditional way.

He began to research the pedagogy of combat through public resources and some access he had to special forces military personnel. According to him, the military elite had been working on similar number-based systems of teaching H2H combat and found that they were extremely effective in developing rapid proficiency in retaliatory response to attack. Apparently this had trickled down to elite police and other civil defense organisations, but was discontinued because the "killing by numbers" was manifestly too effective (after, apparently, some unfortunate events) to inflict on the civilian population.

The argument is that the student is initially emotionally resistant to learning self defense, because common teaching methods produce an emotional response in the student; e.g. "for our first lesson, we're going to learn to deal with SOMEONE TRYING TO PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE, rather than, "we're going to practice a response to a #5 attack".

The theory is that the use of language such as "punch in the face" or "slash to the neck" invoke a response from the mammalian, emotional brain, evoking long term memory of traumatic events and pain, say from being bullied as a child. This impedes the process of learning the physical skills. The use of "number 1 strike" or "number five strike", on the other hand, engage the left cortical brain with its functions of order and sequencing, and this allow more effective learning because the emotional response is bypassed.

This phenomenon has a dark side; short circuiting the emotional brain removes its inhibitions, leading to the "killing by numbers" phenomenon. We are left with an amoral approach to combat, raising questions of personal and teacher responsibility. The safety switch is off - the technique becomes a performance oriented (zone out, brush it past, #3 strike) than outcome oriented (block his punch with a pak sao, grab his throat, finger strike him in the eyes).

Cus d'Amato apparently trained an early Mike Tyson with a system of giving each punch an ordinal number, and calling out a sequence of numbers for various combinations - "1,2,3,5,3" instead of "jab, cross, lead hook, overhand right, lead hook", for example, though I can't say this is the exact system he used. While the numbers are obviously less of a mouthful when calling them out for immediate deployment on heavy bag or mitts, the instructor wondered whether the emotional detachment involved in their use contributed to Tyson's awesome effectiveness in his early bout,s before he got involved with Don King and Robyn Givens and it all went pear shaped. (Some) opponents spoke of his almost mechanical apparent attitude toward their destruction - though others said they found his relentless aggression the overwhelming memory.

I've heard of kickboxing trainers and JKD schools using similar approaches to training fighters.

The instructor said that he he trained a relative neophyte for a kickboxing match using the numerical approach, and the kid won easily. This is of course anecdotal evidence and not even close to a scientific trial.

So that's the use of the left brain to remove the emotional barriers to learning how to fight.

OTOH, he claimed that the right brain can also play a role, with its predilection for pictures, creativity, and free association. According to my source, 300 repetitions are required to gain proficiency with gross motor skills with the arms, 500 for the legs. Complex maneuvres like some of those in BJJ may take thousands of repetitions to master - I remember seeing a DVD of American competitive BJJer Mike Fowler demonstrating a complex transition to submission on a DVD - he said his teacher wanted him to perform the move 10,000 times in the gym before he tried it in competition.

However, according to my source, the use of the RIGHT phrase or mental picture can greatly accelerate the learning process. The head instructor of Machado BJJ here, John Will, continually impresses me with his ability to come up with short phrases which connote an EXACT mental picture of what is required - for example, instead of saying "forehead on the floor, twist your thumbs together, pull your elbows back and try to touch them together behind you" for finishing a collar choke from the mount, he's now started saying "head on the floor, chest through the hole" as this gives a much better picture of the movement required. "Zombie attack" is used to illustrate the WRONG way to clinch with someone (picture leering wide eyed zombie with arms outstretched coming for you, leaving all sorts of holes for arm drags, underhooks, leg attacks and the like), "Tyrannosaurus Rex arms" the right way (elbows close to the body). "Paintbrush armlock" is another great example of this - try explaining it to someone by saying move your hand here, lift the elbow so so, ..." is hard, but every time I say "pretend his hand is a painbrush and paint a line down the mat" the student gets it much more often.

anerlich
05-22-2005, 09:24 PM
cont'd ...

Use of left and right brains together can lead to "creative sequencing", allowing the distillation of complex movements into a few epigrams to be perofrmed in the correct sequence. We (my academy) have "the ball" - "Chin, hips, knees, roll" for a back breakfall, and "the plank" and "drunken master" for front and side breakfalls respectively. People learn to break to breakfall competently in minutes.

The impact of vocabulary on performance is made much of in neurolinguistic programming. Bruce Lee, Matt Thornton and others have counselled us in avoiding the use of arcane and traditional terminology in the practice of physical skills, if you are not Chinese, learning the Chinese names of all techniques may be a hindrance rather than a help to your learning the physical side of the system - better to use language the student is familiar with. That said, creative arts often REQUIRE the introduction of new terminology or foreign words - skateboarding and surfing are full of such neologisms.

So - all of this makes a fair amount of sense, but I remain skeptical on some details. The anatomical and psychological models may offend the sensibilities of professional or committed anatomy/psych nerds (though that's less important than whether the model actually works in a particular context, IMO). Still plenty of food for thought.

Thoughts, anyone? Better references, either supportive or otherwise?

NB - this is not meant to be a criticism of WC. It is meant to explore the best and fastest ways to teach effective combat skills, including WC. if there's a STILL BETTER OR FASTER way, let's discuss it. If the traditional way is the only way ... WHY?

Liddel
05-22-2005, 10:04 PM
All of this makes sence but the fact remains that everyone is different which means your theory is either make or break depending on the individual, just like the training methods most commonly used.

My Uncle is the highest rank in our countries SAS which train hevily in H2H combat and i have sparring partners that protect our countries diplomats , trained in Close quater battle for close protection work.
I have found that thier teaching methods and theories about conflicts(fighting) (ideas and application), are very similar to that of my own experienced in my VT.

Ive found that my VT training inherently has alot of aspects you mention, so i would agree with some of what you say...
People say that VT is a simplified art in which lies the brilliance of the art (being economic etc) but i would refine that to read " VT is a complicated art viewed in the most simplistic way possible"
Being Economic in every way... Just MO.

SevenStar
05-22-2005, 10:07 PM
that's very interesting. and, now that I think about it, I've never trained with any thai or fma guys that didn't use the number system - I use one out of habit, because that's just how we do it. OTOH, we NEVER used it in any of the more TMA I trained. When I did try to teach some thai boxing to a CMA friend of mine, the number system completely confused her.

As for the 10,000 reps thing, I've heard the same of boxers. Something is truly committed to "muscle memory" once it has been performed 10,000 times.

monkeyspoon
05-23-2005, 05:18 AM
As non cantonese speaking, do you consider the use of cantonese terminology i.e jic kuen, bong, lap etc a similar thing to a number system. So perhaps before training wing chun these words meant nothing to me and are therefore arbitrary and do not envoke deep emotional responses?

Ultimatewingchun
05-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Nice idea for a thread, Andrew. :cool:

I'm a firm believer in simplfying the "wording" that goes on in one's head when training, sparring, fighting, rolling, etc.

For example, as you know in TWC we train to look at elbows and knees when fighting in the standup position. And a number of years ago I came to the conclusion that looking directly at a "midpoint" is extremely important when one is at a range where kicks could also be thrown along with punches; and from a closer range I look directly at his nearest elbow.

And that midpoint is the point on the opponent's torso wherein I can see both elbows and both knees with peripheral vision; and if he throws a right rear cross, for example, then I would immediately switch my vision from the midpoint to the right elbow, to determine exactly what kind of punch is coming (ie.- straight, round, high, low, etc.) and make my response accordingly.

As this pertains to your ideas on this thread....what I do when sparring, for example - because it's so easy to lose concentration - is I constantly say the word "focus" to myself as I'm watching the opponent from a distance.

This acts as a reminder (actually it's a command) to stay focused on looking at the midpoint...at a closer range I'm might change the word to "elbow", etc.

The point of my example is that using KEYWORDS, phrases, numbers, etc. is a very good way of training one's mind - and the simpler you can keep the words and phrases - the better.

And such words, phrases, numbers, etc. should be CONCENTRATED...by that I mean that as much pertinent information as possible should be stored in each keyword or phrase.

Merryprankster
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I remember seeing a DVD of American competitive BJJer Mike Fowler demonstrating a complex transition to submission on a DVD - he said his teacher wanted him to perform the move 10,000 times in the gym before he tried it in competition.

Yes, he does :D

Mental imagery is EXTREMELY important for technique execution, FWIW. World of difference.

anerlich
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
As non cantonese speaking, do you consider the use of cantonese terminology i.e jic kuen, bong, lap etc a similar thing to a number system. So perhaps before training wing chun these words meant nothing to me and are therefore arbitrary and do not envoke deep emotional responses?

As regards not invoking emotional responses, I guess that could be the case. On the down side, according to the argument, they probably do not assist in forming a mental right-brain picture of the movement - unless Cantonese is one's native language. I think it's also possible that the use of exotic terminology can create an unwarranted air of mystery around the techniques and training that does not assist in rapid assimilation. Numbers don't form pictures real well either, but then they don't carry all the baggage cool exotic terminology does either. I realise this is contracdictory to some degree, I'm just throwing it out for discussion.

"Chi/qi" is a good example. Thus I have heard, chi is a pretty pedestrian concept in China, only in the West does it carry the supernatural and mystical connotation too many attribute to it, and leads to all sorts of unproductive weirdness.

Caveat: most of this is hearsay. I have no formal training or experience in linguistics or psychology. Or Cantonese.

ghost5
05-24-2005, 03:44 AM
After years of using numbers in the FMA part of our class I have never put the two together. Numbers and ease of learning. But FWIW I do believe you have that part right. I take the same students through KF forms and they have trouble with the movements that we tell them to use ( new students) but I can take these same students and give them a set of sticks and after one or two classes they rarely miss a beat when using the number system we use in the stick class.

Getting more complex verbal ideas into someone's head seems to take much longer than showing them a movement and telling them "this is #1". After they see and hear that a time or two it is stuck in their head and we move on.

Granted, the forms are more complex movements and therefor take longer to learn but the ease that people remember the numbers and the movements that go with them is amazing at times. A student that took two weeks getting ten movements of the KF form half way right will have twelve steps of a stick form down in one night.

Taff
05-24-2005, 01:33 PM
This is a very interesting idea.

How would you go about numbering in Wing Chun? Numbering the basic hand techniques? Or numbering angles of attack?

anerlich
05-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I think angles of attack - this then relates to the FMA model which seems to help learning, in both my source's experience and ghost5's.

However, the boxing and kickboxing gyms that use it seem to number the individual punches and kicks, so if you're working on the pads or bag, it's not jab, hook, cross, but 1,2.3.

Don't take my recommendation though - try it out and see if it helps you - or not.

FWIW, from what I've seen much of the Chinese terminology translates into fairly prosaic descriptions of techniques. The potential problem is that the use of an exotic language can promote connotations regarding the technique of an inappropriately esoteric nature which is unhelpful to the process of learning the skill - though they probably wouldn't for a person who had the language as their mother tongue.

OTOH, there are some more metaphorical descriptions for WC techniques which may actually usefully engage the right brain. The use of "beggar's hand" for tan sao might help some to get a better mental picture of the energy used. I saw a vid of a CQC guy who taught what was in effect a larp sao by getting his students to "say hi" in response to an incoming punch, in effect lifting the hand up to head level in and outward arc to block the incoming (yes, numbered) attack. I personally though this was effective use of the principle.