PDA

View Full Version : Wang rong Sheng ?

FEELERSTRIKE
05-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Can anyone help ?
In trying to research the dates for the Qi Xing Tang Lang Master Wang Rong Sheng I have come across the dates of 1854 to 1926 . Are these dates correct ?
I have been led to believe that these dates come from one source , a sort of Whos Who in the chinese martial arts .
According to history his grandson Wang Zhuanyi was taught by Fan Xu Dong before continuing with his student Lin Jin Shan . If Fan Xu Dong died in 1925? why didnt he learn from his grandfather instead of his student ?

Young Mantis
05-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Can anyone help ?
In trying to research the dates for the Qi Xing Tang Lang Master Wang Rong Sheng I have come across the dates of 1854 to 1926 . Are these dates correct ?
I have been led to believe that these dates come from one source , a sort of Whos Who in the chinese martial arts .
According to history his grandson Wang Zhuanyi was taught by Fan Xu Dong before continuing with his student Lin Jin Shan . If Fan Xu Dong died in 1925? why didnt he learn from his grandfather instead of his student ?

Feelerstrike,

Although there is no way we can ever really know why Wang Zhuanyi did not study from his grandfather, I would like to offer a few suggestions.

1. If the dates are correct and I am not able to confirm them, it does not mean Wang Rong Sheng was physically able to teach during his advanced years so he may have had his grandson study with his student.

2. It was not uncommon in China for a master to send his own children and even grandchildren to study from someone else including to a student of his own. Father and son is one kind of relationship. Grandfather and grandson is another kind of relationship. Sifu and student is a relationship that may not work well with actual relatives. I know from my own experiences that I show much more reverence to my Sifu then my own father.

3. Perhaps Wang Rong Sheng believed his student Fahn Xu Dong had surpassed his own abilities. Isn't that the goal for every teacher? "qing chu ru lan"

This is not an attempt to verify the dates presented for Wang Rong Sheng, just offering some possibilities to your question.

YM

FEELERSTRIKE
05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Young Mantis many thanks for the imput